Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bill Archer's Lies

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
Was going through a load of stuff of mine I've got in storage at the mother's house, and came across this letter from one certain Bill Archer. I haven't got the foggiest what I wrote to him back in '96, but this is what he was fobbing us off with at the time.

img0424yn.jpg

img0425qb.jpg

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
That is fascinating. Thanks for sharing. He doesn't mention the penalties for lack of repayment of his own loans to the club.

Does anyone know how Bill is, healthwise? He looked a little sketchy all those years ago and he must be advancing in age. I'd hate* to think he wasn't able to enjoy his retirement.

* When I say hate, I do mean that I would be delighted, nay, rejoicing.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
So that letters states a planning application had been submitted, really? Was it? Or was he so unbelievably crass that he would lie like that in a letter?

Henfield One

Aug 5, 2003
Makes me feel sick reading that utter tripe. And some people fell for it too.

Build a bonfire...put Bill Archer on the top, add Greg Stanley & Bellotti, and we'll burn..... Never forget there were 3 not 2 liars.

It'll soon be Christmas, time to dig out my banning letter that arrived on Christmas Eve 1996.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
So that letters states a planning application had been submitted, really? Was it? Or was he so unbelievably crass that he would lie like that in a letter?

One thing that the internet has killed is the ability to lie like that. Digital planning application archives open to all.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
I bet he bloody sneezed on the letter before it was posted and let Run Bellotti Run lick the envelope for him.
Pond life.

Del Fenner

Because of Boxing Day
Sep 5, 2011
An Away Terrace
Why would he head such a letter "Without Prejudice" if the contents were factually correct? It's the legal equivalent of having his fingers crossed.

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
Why would he head such a letter "Without Prejudice" if the contents were factually correct? It's the legal equivalent of having his fingers crossed.

I believe it's a well used legal get out clause. As long as you put "without prejudice" you can type any old lie or Snide remark and not be as accountable. Really brings home how good things are now and what a scumbag that bloke was

Something purporting to be a planning application was certainly submitted to Hove Borough Council, because they sent a copy of it to ESCC, where it passed across the desks of a number of people (including me) who were asked to comment on the transport implications. We confined ourselves to saying that it was impossible to comment without the Transport Assessment (which Archer refers to in his letter as something he was spending money on). I don't know how much, if anything, was actually spent on the transport study, but it never arrived - and the planning application therefore just ran out of time.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
My favourite club corrospondance was the letter from Eversheds solicitors to Roy Chuter threatening to sue him and him tearing it apart. It was then published in Gulls Eye (and later, Build a Bonfire). Brilliant!

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
And some people complain about the way the club is being run at the moment.

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
On the other side of the coin, Steve Gritt was a nice man wasn't he. Wonder how many of these letters he had to write?

img0421me.jpg

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Build a bonfire...put Bill Archer on the top, add Greg Stanley & Bellotti, and we'll burn..... Never forget there were 3 not 2 liars.

It'll soon be Christmas, time to dig out my banning letter that arrived on Christmas Eve 1996.

My favourite club corrospondance was the letter from Eversheds solicitors to Roy Chuter threatening to sue him and him tearing it apart. It was then published in Gulls Eye (and later, Build a Bonfire). Brilliant!

New museum exhibits?

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009

It is one of my greatest regrets that I was never thrown out of the Goldstone. I'm planning a one-man disturbance in Toys R Us this Christmas, but it won't be same somehow.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Does anyone know how Bill is, healthwise? He looked a little sketchy all those years ago and he must be advancing in age. I'd hate* to think he wasn't able to enjoy his retirement.

* When I say hate, I do mean that I would be delighted, nay, rejoicing.

A friend of mine dad was on the board of Wickes (another business bought on the cheap and asset stripped from what he tells me), he despises the bloke as much as we all do. He took great pleasure in telling me a while back that he wasn't of great health a little while back.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here