Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Biggest Club Game In The World?

I must be alone in having never had the remotest interest EVER in a Celtic vs Rangers game then

Real vs Barca

Absolutely agree with this. Suggesting the Old Firm game is ludicrous. There's very little interest outside of Glasgow, and NO interest outside of the UK and Ireland.

Real Madrid vs Barcelona for me. Other contenders probably include the Milan derby and Man Utd - Liverpool.

JJB

Mar 16, 2011
New Forest
In terms of fiercest, then Old firm takes it. I'd put saints pompey up there in the top 3 (within the UK). Wolves v West brom is pretty tastey.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Absolutely agree with this. Suggesting the Old Firm game is ludicrous. There's very little interest outside of Glasgow, and NO interest outside of the UK and Ireland.

Real Madrid vs Barcelona for me. Other contenders probably include the Milan derby and Man Utd - Liverpool.
I take your point, but to be fair there is also plenty of interest in the Old Firm game in places like Canada and Australia.

In terms of fiercest, then Old firm takes it. I'd put saints pompey up there in the top 3 (within the UK). Wolves v West brom is pretty tastey.
You're a Southampton fan FFS. Top 3 my f***ing arse. Plenty of big clubs have fierce rivalries that dwarf your local affair you arrogant goon. Apart from anything else, would you believe there are some games that actually get played more than 6 times every 25 years?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I can assure you that you are not alone. I too have no interest at all in the 'premier' monkey tennis fixture

Good, I even get annoyed when they read the Scottish results out on the tv or the radio :lolol:

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
record gate for a league match in the UK

118,000 rangers-celtic,what an atomsphere that must of been!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
is not a Derby though. A derby has to be a game betweeen two clubs withuin the same connurbation, be that a village, a town or a city for local bragging rights.

and LIVERPOOL v MANCHESTER United is??

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
is not a Derby though. A derby has to be a game betweeen two clubs withuin the same connurbation, be that a village, a town or a city for local bragging rights.

Real v Barcelona is a tribal game going back to the fascists forming a centralised Spanish state, centred on Madrid, that suppressed the Catalan identity.

How has a question about the World's biggest CLUB game morphed into the World's biggest DERBY?

JJB

Mar 16, 2011
New Forest
I take your point, but to be fair there is also plenty of interest in the Old Firm game in places like Canada and Australia.

You're a Southampton fan FFS. Top 3 my f***ing arse. Plenty of big clubs have fierce rivalries that dwarf your local affair you arrogant goon. Apart from anything else, would you believe there are some games that actually get played more than 6 times every 25 years?

You have never been to a saints v pompey game have you? the last time we met there were circa 100 arrest. The fact we hardly play each other is what makes our derby day's so fierce.

Forgot West Ham Milwall.

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011
The whole debate depends on what you mean by the biggest? Most people are measuring that by the size of the TV audience.

Presumably from Glasweigan ex-pats though? Genuine question, I don't know the answer. IMHO to be considered 'the biggest' a game's got to be of interest to people beyond simply supporters of the two clubs directly involved. Most people with a decent level of interest in football are interested in Barca-Real Madrid, which is why I'd put it top.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Indeed. What a dick.

Saints - Pompey has its moments, its true, but top 3? Idiot.

See Millwall - Hammers / Manchester derby / Man U - Liverpool / Man U - Leeds / Leeds - Bradford / Villa - Birmingham / Toon - Sunderland / Swansea - Cardiff / and about ten more, for further details....

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Liverpool in their heyday against current Man U set up would probable edge it.

As it is Liverpool are 21 years no Title, so are now viewed by most as has beens always dwelling on their glorious, but distant, past. Therefore this weekend's match and those for at least the last 10 years do not have the added spice of a crucial match which really sets the emotions racing for neutrals. In fact the Manchester derby is now probably a bigger game than Manchester Liverpool, and think Fergie is flattering Liverpool to say that is still their biggest game!

16bha

Sep 6, 2010
East Stand Upper & Worthing
I'd have considered the biggest game to be the one that impacts the fans and also a bigger rivalry away from the game itself, Brit it geographical or political, and not just viewing figures as that is driven by he networks.

Boca Juniors v River Plate, Lazio v Roma, real v Barca and yes Rangers v Celtic. Is Man Utd v Liverpool really that massive outside of the north west and TV hype?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Fergie is simply being nice (patronising?) regarding Liverpool.

It IS a big game, of course, but no bigger than any v Chelsea, Man City or Leeds. In fact Leeds were serious rivals for the Premiership title more recently than Liverpool were.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here