Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Biggest city without top football team?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Oxford had a couple of seasons in the top division in the 1980s. They were sponsored by Wang Computers!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Don't think Brighton is a particularly big city, is it? Only about 160,000 people. Obviously when you add Hove it becomes a lot bigger.

You have to go by conurbation population as figures for cities rely on arbitrary boundaries. Brighton urban area = 461,000 people

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
City of Wakefield- 321,600

Plymouth- 250,700

:dunce:

Yes, that's true

But that's including the likes of Pontefract, Castleford etc as part of Wakefield.

I think that in this case, we should consider the city proper, not the size of the council area.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
You have to go by conurbation population as figures for cities rely on arbitrary boundaries. Brighton urban area = 461,000 people

Blimey, that would make us one of the biggest cities in England - we're not even close

According to the Office of National Statistics:

Population of Brighton 155,919
Population of Brighton and Hove 206,628
Population of Brighton and Hove council area 247,817

Oct 25, 2003
Yes, that's true

But that's including the likes of Pontefract, Castleford etc as part of Wakefield.

I think that in this case, we should consider the city proper, not the size of the council area.

yep

like i said, if you count "city of wakefield" as a city, then it's that- if you don't then it's plymouth

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I remember a few years back when we played them there was something in one of the newspaper reports about Plymouth being the largest city outside of Hull never to have hosted top flight football.

The city doesn't become larger with more people in it, it just becomes more crowded/populated. So 'largest city' will not be affected by population.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here