Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Biggest catchment area - anyone know?

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Newcastle have a huge catchment area to the North and west of them and share the south with the Macams ,but the whole area is densely populated so will be big

Rambo

Don't Push me
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
BrightonBird said:
Rambo - Sheffield have two teams so it will not be as high.

Does anyone actually know where I can find the info out? Geek on a mission!

No No, I was pointing out that all those teams are near to Hull, therfore reducing their catchment area.

Stick, wrong, of , end.
:jester:

DessieBoy said:
Sorry BB, I think, if you count again, you'll find there's only one team in Sheffield. They are, in fact, the only team in Yorkshire too (unless you count Wednesday reserves).

UTO
What about the World's OLDEST football club?

Sheffield.

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading
Catchment areas are unfortunately all bollocks. Having looked at this myself, I came to the conclusion that absolutely nothing makes sense at all! Look at Ipswich, tiny place (smaller than Basingstoke, which is an RFC town), no "traditional working class" which used to be the factor linked to football crowds, nothing around it, and other teams quite close, and yet until recently they could pull in over 25,000 per game!

To the question "Is Brighton the biggest city not to have 2 teams?", I give you... in order. Not counting places attached (like Hove) otherwise I could attach Wokingham's population to Reading and Bedworth to Coventry etc.

Leeds
Leicester
Kingston_upon_Hull
Coventry
Bradford
Cardiff
Wolverhampton
Plymouth
Derby
Reading
Southampton
Newcastle_upon_Tyne
Preston
Sunderland
Bournemouth
Peterborough
West_Bromwich
Middlesbrough

All larger places than Brighton in population and with only 1 team.

Catchment areas in themselves are odd. Norwich has a massive catchment area but there's nobody in it. Sussex is relatively big in terms of size, but again there's nothing in it. You have Crawley (London side really) Worthing, and Littlehampton in addition to Brighton and Hove with any real half-decent sized populations.

People in surrounding areas are a good source of fans. We run buses from Basingstoke to the MadStad, and also Newbury, Henley, Bracknell etc. All nice decent sized towns which need to be plugged to get them all to be Reading fans. The likes of Maidenhead and Slough are not ripe with Royals because to be honest, we've been shite for far too long for people to make the effort. But now with Oxford as shite as they are, our fanbase seems to extend to even Oxfordians themselves, which is a good sign.

Sussex is pretty desolate as far as counties go. Nice countryside and all that, but few people. 1 million or something, isn't it? But bear in mind that about 200,000 probably live too close to London and all follow London teams, and that on the West Sussex side you'll lose another 300,000 or so towards Pompey. So that's nearly half gone already. Not as simple as it sounds.

Also bear in mind that people move down to Brighton from all areas of the country as its a quality place. So the amount of "locals" in Brighton is pretty small in comparison to somewhere like Hull, where people are all Hull citizens and feel more of an association with the place. We have the same problem in Reading as the work in Thames Valley brings along people with their own football teams already.

And its all to do with how "football mad" the place is. In Reading we've produced footballers for years and years, though sadly rarely for RFC. Winning national tournements at school level and seeing the obsession with football all around, its great. Hence why us RFC fans are so desperate to get this club up and running with the big boys, because the place is football mad, yet sadly has never been quite enough mad about the local team. :(

The problem with both of our clubs is that its too easy to get to London. I'm off to f:censored:ck up the Reading-Paddington train line. Shouldn't be difficult considering Railtrack did a very good job at that themselves!

CrabtreeBHA said:
Notts County aint it?
Nope. Although Notts County are the oldest Football League Club.

Sheffield FC were founded in 1857. They failed to reach agreement about the rules of the game with the London based Football Association (which was formed in 1863) - so they did their own thing for a few years.

In the early days, they ran two teams - Sheffield FC and Thursday Wanderers FC. Whatever happened to Sheffield Thursday?

Having refused to join the Football Association, Sheffield FC ran the alternative Sheffield Football Association which set up a national league that included teams like Albion - who they? - Artillery and Hallamshire Rifles, Attercliffe, Brightside, Brincliffe, Broomhall, Crookes, Exchange, Exchange Brewery, Fir Vale, Gleadless, Hallam, Heeley, Kimberworth, Millhouses, Norfolk, Norfolk Works, Owlerton, Oxford, Parkwood Springs, Philadelphia, Surrey, Thursday Wanderers and Wednesday.

Eventually the FA won the argument, and Sheffield FC joined up, winning the FA Amateur Cup in 1904. They also played in the FA Vase final at Wembley in 1977.

Today they play in the Premier Division of the Northern Counties East Football League.

Wilts -

I don't disagree with your analysis. Curiously, Leeds doesn't count as an "Urban Area" in the definition used by the Office of National Statistics (and endorsed at the Public Inquiry by the FA).

Leeds is part of the West Yorkshire Urban Area (population 1,446,000) which has three clubs.

Bloody nonsense, of course - and I speak as someone who was born in Leeds, not as a supporter of that pack of riff-raff - to lump Leeds United, Bradford City and Huddersfield Town into the "same" place.

"You're just a small town in Wakefield".

:lolol:

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
How does Gillingham stand in ths question. It is the only league club in Kent, and the meadway towns are a dense urban area.

Sorry LB, if you know there is a pint at the Nelson tommrow.

Also, finishing from last night, the building on Everton's bage is the first Liverpool prison which is still standing at Preston Gates.

Medway Towns Urban Area (Medway, Maidstone, Tonbridge & Malling, Gravesham) has a population of 222,000. About the same size as Derby/Erewash/South Derbyshire/Amber Valley Urban Area and Luton/Dunstable.

I'll have to miss out on the Nelson pint, I'm afraid - lots of pre-match and post-match rushing around, connected with Firle Bonfire celebrations.

Besides which, all I'm doing is consulting a document put together by Tim Carder to support the Club's evidence at the Falmer Inquiry.

Buy Tim a pint!

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
Lord Bracknell said:
Largest Urban Area in England WITHOUT a league football club is Aldershot (population 231,000).

Largest Urban Area in England with ONLY ONE league football club is Tyneside (population 886,000). Second is Brighton/Worthing/Littlehampton (population 438,000).

Greater London (population 7,652,000) has 12 league clubs - which, apart from Tyneside, is the highest ratio of people to football club in England - one club per 638,000 people.

The SMALLEST recognised free-standing Urban Area with a league football club is Irthlingborough (population 5,200). Combine Irthingborough with Rushden and Higham Ferrers and you get 34,400 people.

"Urban Areas" are as defined by the Office of National Statistics - a definition that was accepted by all parties at the Falmer Public Inquiry.

Personally, I think it's daft to include Littlehampton in the Brighton Urban Area, but if you get rid of it and add in Newhaven, Haywards Heath, etc, things more or less balance up.

All the population figures are 1991 census figures.

And if Tim Carder's reading this - I'll return your notes on all this stuff soon.

:)
Yeah but according to southtoday today brighton and hove have missed out roughly 12000 people and need a re=count.???

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
Wilts said:
Catchment areas are unfortunately all bollocks. Having looked at this myself, I came to the conclusion that absolutely nothing makes sense at all! Look at Ipswich, tiny place (smaller than Basingstoke, which is an RFC town), no "traditional working class" which used to be the factor linked to football crowds, nothing around it, and other teams quite close, and yet until recently they could pull in over 25,000 per game!

To the question "Is Brighton the biggest city not to have 2 teams?", I give you... in order. Not counting places attached (like Hove) otherwise I could attach Wokingham's population to Reading and Bedworth to Coventry etc.

Leeds
Leicester
Kingston_upon_Hull
Coventry
Bradford
Cardiff
Wolverhampton
Plymouth
Derby
Reading
Southampton
Newcastle_upon_Tyne
Preston
Sunderland
Bournemouth
Peterborough
West_Bromwich
Middlesbrough

All larger places than Brighton in population and with only 1 team.

Catchment areas in themselves are odd. Norwich has a massive catchment area but there's nobody in it. Sussex is relatively big in terms of size, but again there's nothing in it. You have Crawley (London side really) Worthing, and Littlehampton in addition to Brighton and Hove with any real half-decent sized populations.

People in surrounding areas are a good source of fans. We run buses from Basingstoke to the MadStad, and also Newbury, Henley, Bracknell etc. All nice decent sized towns which need to be plugged to get them all to be Reading fans. The likes of Maidenhead and Slough are not ripe with Royals because to be honest, we've been shite for far too long for people to make the effort. But now with Oxford as shite as they are, our fanbase seems to extend to even Oxfordians themselves, which is a good sign.

Sussex is pretty desolate as far as counties go. Nice countryside and all that, but few people. 1 million or something, isn't it? But bear in mind that about 200,000 probably live too close to London and all follow London teams, and that on the West Sussex side you'll lose another 300,000 or so towards Pompey. So that's nearly half gone already. Not as simple as it sounds.

Also bear in mind that people move down to Brighton from all areas of the country as its a quality place. So the amount of "locals" in Brighton is pretty small in comparison to somewhere like Hull, where people are all Hull citizens and feel more of an association with the place. We have the same problem in Reading as the work in Thames Valley brings along people with their own football teams already.

And its all to do with how "football mad" the place is. In Reading we've produced footballers for years and years, though sadly rarely for RFC. Winning national tournements at school level and seeing the obsession with football all around, its great. Hence why us RFC fans are so desperate to get this club up and running with the big boys, because the place is football mad, yet sadly has never been quite enough mad about the local team. :(

The problem with both of our clubs is that its too easy to get to London. I'm off to f:censored:ck up the Reading-Paddington train line. Shouldn't be difficult considering Railtrack did a very good job at that themselves!
Very strange wilts as reading isn't a city mmmmm:p

Anyway wilts you confuse me as you say reading has a population of 130'000 to brightons 210,000 and thats not hove in that.???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here