Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Biggest catchment area - anyone know?

I am trying to find out what football club has the biggest catchment area. Tried on google but no answer:(

I'm just a sad git who wants to know where Brighton are. I think we'll be quite high being the only club in sussex in the 4 divisions, and the nearest club 2 hours away.

Can anyone either post on here or inform me where I can get such information?

Thanking you in advance x

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
if we wer'nt next to the sea and still no other teams for a 50odd miles then we'd be the biggest I reckon, we still have a large catchment area even though we have only 180degree radius. Then again alot of london footy fans live down here....bastards :angry:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Think it must be Brighton, with perhaps Carlisle as a close 2nd? I reckon there must be around 2 million people in the UK who have Brighton as their nearest league club. Also, Brighton is the biggest city in the UK (except perhaps Milton Keynes???) to only have one club.:ohmy:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Isn't that impossible to work out? Depending on how you look at it, Arsenal either have a huge catchment area (London) or a very small one (Tottenham isn't far away).

How do people reach "catchment area" conclusions? Norwich probably have miles to the nearest club, but only a few farmers live there!

Mr Popkins

Jul 8, 2003
LIVING IN SIN
i reckon Yeovil, the only team in somerset
they get 5000 plus for some of thier matches!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Plymouth surely, they have most of Cornwall and half of Devon to pick from.

On the other hand maybe Sussex is more densely populated so it may be a smaller area but with more people.

elbowpatches

Jul 7, 2003
Cambridge
Nope but Plymouth is probably as good as any other competition, they would have the whole of Cornwall and share Devon with Torquay and Exeter (if you count them). Wrexham and Swansea should also have large areas, I've discounted Cardiff because they aren't far from Bristol. As to where to find out from, no idea, I'm just speculating.

DessieBoy

Sep 25, 2003
BrightonBird said:
Rambo - Sheffield have two teams so it will not be as high.

Does anyone actually know where I can find the info out? Geek on a mission!

Sorry BB, I think, if you count again, you'll find there's only one team in Sheffield. They are, in fact, the only team in Yorkshire too (unless you count Wednesday reserves).

UTO

Citrus

Seagulls over Toronto
Jul 11, 2003
Toronto
Rambo said:
So what about, Grimsby,Scunny, Doncaster, York and Sheffield then?

Catchment area is not just how big the area is, but how populated it is!
Hull are in Division 3 and get 15-20 000 every game! Lot's of people up there!

DessieBoy said:
Sorry BB, I think, if you count again, you'll find there's only one team in Sheffield. They are, in fact, the only team in Yorkshire too (unless you count Wednesday reserves).

UTO

ok. You can now see how important this list is to me!:p

Largest Urban Area in England WITHOUT a league football club is Aldershot (population 231,000).

Largest Urban Area in England with ONLY ONE league football club is Tyneside (population 886,000). Second is Brighton/Worthing/Littlehampton (population 438,000).

Greater London (population 7,652,000) has 12 league clubs - which, apart from Tyneside, is the highest ratio of people to football club in England - one club per 638,000 people.

The SMALLEST recognised free-standing Urban Area with a league football club is Irthlingborough (population 5,200). Combine Irthingborough with Rushden and Higham Ferrers and you get 34,400 people.

"Urban Areas" are as defined by the Office of National Statistics - a definition that was accepted by all parties at the Falmer Public Inquiry.

Personally, I think it's daft to include Littlehampton in the Brighton Urban Area, but if you get rid of it and add in Newhaven, Haywards Heath, etc, things more or less balance up.

All the population figures are 1991 census figures.

And if Tim Carder's reading this - I'll return your notes on all this stuff soon.

:)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here