Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Big season for Ashley Barnes

Personally, I would have played him up front immediately CMS got injured. I still think he's a better goalscorer than ulloa, given the chance.
He played really well up front when we first bought him, so what did we do? - played him in midfield!
Good season from Ash will shut up the moaners on here.

Probably would've done if he hadn't booted the ref at Bolton.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Right, here's my "Barnes is a good player" post:

He's played up front very rarely, when he did (in January prior to Ulloa arriving and against Blackpool) he was exceptional and I firmly believe that had he'd started up front at the beginning of the season more we would have finished 2nd.

I also am certain that Barnes should have started against Palace in the second leg. Anyone could see the Zaha was going to isolate and punish Calderon as much as possible and he desperately needed someone in front of him who tracks back.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It's incredible how someone's stock can rise without them needing to kick a ball. The guy tripped a ref and was banned for 7 matches, he scores 1 in 4, misses penalties and gives inarticulate interviews.

If Hull and Norwich ARE interested then play them off against each other and sell, sell, sell. Maybe after his medical fiasco we can use the cash to do a deal for Charlie Austin and bring in a proper Championship goalscorer?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Would certainly like to see Barnes given a chance to compete for a striker role, but Ulloa has to be first choice, surely? CMS and Barnes vie for second. Hoskins = sicknote.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
At least Barnes might actually be played up front consistently now Gus has gone.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
It's incredible how someone's stock can rise without them needing to kick a ball. The guy tripped a ref and was banned for 7 matches, he scores 1 in 4, misses penalties and gives inarticulate interviews.

If Hull and Norwich ARE interested then play them off against each other and sell, sell, sell. Maybe after his medical fiasco we can use the cash to do a deal for Charlie Austin and bring in a proper Championship goalscorer?

Yep all footballers are judged on post match interviews. Knock him on his ability on the pitch if you must but christ that is taking the piss.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
For the money we have outlaid I hope that Ulloa and CMS when he is fit again, form a good striking partnership and then to have Barnes and Hoskins waiting on the bench would show our strength in depth, which we havent had has yet.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I also am certain that Barnes should have started against Palace in the second leg. Anyone could see the Zaha was going to isolate and punish Calderon as much as possible and he desperately needed someone in front of him who tracks back.

You mean like when we beat Palace 3v0 for Poyet's only win against them in his spell in charge? Oh hang on...we started that game with TWO out and out wingers in Lua Lua and Buckley.

29 Kuszczak
03 Greer
14 Calderon
20 Upson
28 Bridge
11 Orlandi (Crofts - 63' )
21 David Lopez Booked (Hammond - 89' )
25 LuaLua
26 Bridcutt
30 Buckley
19 Ulloa

So that would be Calderon starting and Barnes not playing ahead of him to shield him and Brighton, with two genuine wingers, running out on top against a Palace team including Zaha.

That 3v0 win came as a result of playing out most attacking line-up of the entire season with both Orlandi and Lopez in midfield behind Lua Lua, Ulloa and Buckley.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
You mean like when we beat Palace 3v0 for Poyet's only win against them in his spell in charge? Oh hang on...we started that game with TWO out and out wingers in Lua Lua and Buckley.

i may be wrong, but wasnt it the case that Zaha was on their right, up against Bridge for that game (and the first leg)? its definitley the case that 2nd leg Calderon struggled, with no help from Buckley, who neither tracked Zaha or gave any decent outlet from Calderon when he frequently had the ball. (having siad that both goals came from Zaha popping up in the middle so prehaps this tactical debate is irrelevent)

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The way I remember it, Zaha was largely ineffective in the first half of the last game, Calderon got booked early in the second half, and Zaha caused a bit more trouble for Calderon, but it was Bridge who was beaten by Zaha for the first goal.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
As per usual, Ashley Barnes will punch WAY above his weight. He'll certainly continually outscore CMS for as long as CMS is here, simply by lurking where a striker should lurk and not running speedily and aimlessly around the pitch for no real reason at all. Obviously.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

I wonder WHY two Prem clubs are interested in him? Could it be that he's actually a VERY good Championship player?

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
One of those players who we will only understand his true value when he is gone. When played in his natural position he scores goals at this level and a replacement for that will not be easy or cheap

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here