Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Big season for Ashley Barnes

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I like to look at how high a ratio of shots a player has got on target and forced a save to judge how accurate a striker is.

According to the Football League Stats Centre this season (league only):

Barnes: 28 on target. 28 off target. Therefore 50% of his shots hit the target. Overall scoring to shot rate is eight goals from 56 shots, or a goal from roughly 14% of his overall efforts.

Mackail-Smith: 28 on target. 20 off target. Around 58% of shots therefore force a save, block etc. Overall scoring to shot rate is 11 goals from 48 shots, or a goal from 22% of his attempts.

CMS also only played in 29 league games this last season. That means he scores a goal roughly every two and a half games. Barnes' ratio is around a goal every four games.

Of course, he has not played in the central striking slot anywhere near as often as CMS and Barnes' shots are probably coming from further out and from wider areas so more likely to miss the target.

I'm quite cynical of my own shots stats (which were league and cup), because I take them from espnsoccernet after the game. The get them from the AP, which can make mistakes (a couple of assists given to number 4 hammond instead of number 14 calderon last season), yet, when I go back to espensoccernet at a later date they seem to have changed them, or at leas their totals under player profiles don't tend to match what you get if you tally them match by match.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I'm quite cynical of my own shots stats (which were league and cup), because I take them from espnsoccernet after the game. The get them from the AP, which can make mistakes (a couple of assists given to number 4 hammond instead of number 14 calderon last season), yet, when I go back to espensoccernet at a later date they seem to have changed them, or at leas their totals under player profiles don't tend to match what you get if you tally them match by match.

Difficult to ever properly trust the stats websites etc serve up. I know someone who works for Opta and they had something like four people statting every match, with repeat viewings and fresh eyes doing the same the next day. Or something like that. Still bound to be mistakes though.

I remember a report in a national, which tends to use PA, describing a Fran Sandaza scrambled goal vs Oldham as a header from the edge of the box from Taricco...

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Goals score with players on the field (league only)

squad on when scored.jpg

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
As things stand, he would be my second choice striker. Also, we saw brief moments of some great linkage play between Barnes and Ulloa before his suspension.

Big year for him, but I think he's got a great year ahead of him. He will be a key player.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
As things stand, he would be my second choice striker. Also, we saw brief moments of some great linkage play between Barnes and Ulloa before his suspension.

Big year for him, but I think he's got a great year ahead of him. He will be a key player.

This is the correct answer.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I think Barnes' stock is at its height, Gus liked him and he got lots of game time. Personally, I'd look to sell him to someone like Derby or Boro for a million and use that money elsewhere in the squad.

Gus always said might go for 1M sometime
so he did get some things right eh!

Gus was a cautious manager, so loved playing Barnes who would never commit to out and out attack. I think that extra man slowed our play down and made us look predictable. I can't see Barnes will get anywhere near the same amount of gametime in 2013/14.

I thought we had all agreed to agree that he is pretty pony and shouldn't be anywhere near the first team. What's up for discussion?

there you you have woke one of em up now

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I genuinely believe he's the best poacher in the team. He's also pretty good as a defensive left-sided forward where he's played 99.9% of the time.

What's his ability to tickle trout, got to do with his abilities as a footballer??? I predict he will be a bit player at best this season. Don't reckon he will get into double figures with starts. I think he may start the season but I doubt he will keep his shirt for long.

Sam Ovett

The New Manager Bus
Barnes is generally consistently good. I've never understood the Barnes-bashing, as he's always scored goals and been involved; defensively as well as offensively. Of course he's been a bit hot-headed in the past which we shouldn't condemn him for - he's still only young, and as has been said before, when he came back from Blackpool on he looked to get on and played some really good football - if Speroni hadn't made that very good save we might be in the Premiership.

Barnes'll have a very good season

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
without kuszczak, generally considered our best keeper, we're undefeated, with a win rate of 66.7 percent, with him our win rate is only 37.8%, losing 22.2% of games.
without bridcutt, generally considered our best player, we're undefeated with a win rate of 80%, with him it is 34.9%, losing 23.2% of games

Does that mean their days are numbered, too?

Barnes featured in 56% of our league match time. Proportionally, he should be present for 56% goals scored, 56% of goals conceded. He was actually present for 67% of goals showing we scored more frequently with him on the pitch. (We also concede more frequently, but only slightly more, at 60% of goals conceded occurring with him on the pitch).

We didn't concede a single goal while Marcos Painter was on the pitch at all last season.

It's also misleading to limit it to direct assists. It ignores:

Sheff Wed Won the free-kick for Bridge's goal
Huddersfield Goal wrongly disallowed for offside
Bolton Carried the ball from deep in own half up field set CMS free in the build up to free kick goal
Charlton Won the free-kick for Lualua's goal
Derby County (Scored first goal,) recovered from ball trapped under his feet to feed Buckley (whose shot was saved, and orlandi poked the follow up at the keeper)
Huddersfield Fed CMS through to win the penalty
Blackpool (scored the 5th and 6th goals, set up the first), played a major part in the fourth
Leeds United Pressured the player to force the back pass error Buckley scored from

The big problem with that is football is a team game, and absences or inclusions don't necessarily directly affect win/loss records, that using stats that are the result of the actions and decisions of both teams, or stats that are restrictive in interpretation (i.e. assists being the last person to touch the ball before the goal scorer, eliminating hard work in build up or winning set pieces), to judge one individual player is very dangerous and misleading.

bloody hell you need a hobby !

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
now see that Hull and Norwich are tracking him

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I will be as gutted to see him leave as I was Murray, really hope that this isn't true.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Personally, I would have played him up front immediately CMS got injured. I still think he's a better goalscorer than ulloa, given the chance.
He played really well up front when we first bought him, so what did we do? - played him in midfield!
Good season from Ash will shut up the moaners on here.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
Can see why there is interest in him. Has talent and as alot of people seem to forget he is young.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here