Big Sam could be in trouble...

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
There wasn't a story until they conspired to concoct one. Sam shouldn't have fallen for it, true, but the low-lifes need never have set it up in the first place. All they've achieved is robbing the national team of a decent manager and replacing him with an ineffective suit.

Bad day all round, but the Telegraph doesn't come out of it covered in glory.
Do you know for certain that there was no story before the telegraph became involved? Perhaps the telegraph were trying to ascertain whether stories they'd heard regarding his character and morality, were true or not. If he was a decent bloke, he'd have given the reporters short shrift, instead, he showed exactly how corrupt he is.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The free press should concentrate on reporting the news, not contriving to make news by underhand means.

I fully expect the paper decided to nail him because they already have stuff on him and were convinced he'd already crossed the line. I totally support what the Telegraph have done here. Would I feel the same way if it was a manager I liked in charge of England? Definitely. Football needs to clean up its act.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Do you know for certain that there was no story before the telegraph became involved? Perhaps the telegraph were trying to ascertain whether stories they'd heard regarding his character and morality, were true or not. If he was a decent bloke, he'd have given the reporters short shrift, instead, he showed exactly how corrupt he is.

Exactly.

Journalists: We understand that there are loopholes to get around 3rd part ownership?
Big Sam: I'm sure there are but not something I could ever condone or comment on.
Journalists: Oh. Right. Fancy some overseas speaking gigs? £400k?
Big Sam: Sounds great, but hardly compatible with being England boss. Call me when I retire, yeah?
Journalists: Hmm, okay. Where do you think Roy went wrong at the Euros?
Big Sam: Probably a question for Roy rather than me. Have you spoken with him?

How hard is it?

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
I fully expect the paper decided to nail him because they already have stuff on him and were convinced he'd already crossed the line. I totally support what the Telegraph have done here. Would I feel the same way if it was a manager I liked in charge of England? Definitely. Football needs to clean up its act.

Thank-you. It,s The Telegraph,not the Sun.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Exactly.

Journalists: We understand that their are loopholes to get around 3rd part ownership?
Big Sam: I'm sure there are but not something I could ever condone or comment on.
Big Sam: Sounds great, but hardly compatible with being England boss. Call me when I retire, yeah?

Well put and correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Thanks a bunch, f***ing Daily Telegraph. Neatly sabotaging our national team. Best manager we've had in ages, outstanding English manager of his generation, and one with an outstanding record at getting the best out of players, and the feckin' Torygraph sets him up to fail.

Yes he was a fool to fall for it, and ridiculously greedy (how much of a bit on the side do you need if you're on (allegedly) £3M a year?), but what did the Torygraph reporters want to prove? Which nation's interests were they intent on furthering? - certainly not England's. OK, Sam's been a prat and has to go, but the Torygraph team are the lowest of low scum.

Now they've landed us with an incompetent ineffective suit of the worst order. Thanks a bunch, you creeps - that's another paper - along with the S*n - I'll never buy - or trust - again.

Of course, if this was FIFA, you'd be screaming institutional corruption. This bloke was trying to undermine his employer. How long would you last if you did that?

And being 'outstanding English manager of his generation' (highly debatable) is hardly a ringing endorsement.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market

Conversely, how many people would be screaming the same blue murder if it was a manager they didn't like?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Exactly.

Journalists: We understand that there are loopholes to get around 3rd part ownership?

How f.ucking hard is it?

Surely it is slightly easier than that

"Fancy meeting us to discuss certain things"

"No thanks, I am the England manager and need to fully concentrate on that"

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

No, of course I don't know; neither do you. Perhaps the paper just thought, let's go out and try to set up a big story that none of our rivals have got that'll put us right up in the headlines for a few days, never mind what damage it does to the national team. Perhaps they're agent Scotland? Who knows...........none of us, that's for certain. It's all opinions.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Inclined to agree. If it was one of the rags' "fake sheikh" stings, digging out his sexual preferences, or extra marital affairs or whatever, then it's a waste of everyone's time. It's not related to his job.

I'd imagine somebody has come along and said "look, here's the England manager, offering himself around to the highest bidder, seeking to take advantage of his position, have a look", and they've decided it's worth sniffing around to see what happens. If he went along with that so-called deal, the first time he was offered it, was that just the start?

As I've said earlier, it also appears there's more to come. Let's wait and see what else comes out before we condemn the journalism involved.

As an aside- anyone remember the furore when the British press started digging into Blatter's affairs round about the time of the bidding for the World Cup? Many people went nuts and carried on kissing up to FIFA, that lovely, integrity-driven organisation. The media were accused of being unpatriotic, and told they should have overlooked any potential naughtiness by FIFA officials.

Now FIFA has (to a degree) crumbled, and it's clear the journalists were 100% correct. The procedure was all shown to be corrupt, and the journalists have been entirely vindicated.

Would it have been right for them to keep quiet so as not to harm England's (non-existent) chances of winning the bid? Where would the moral high ground be now if they had?

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Seeing as he took the piss out of Roy's speech impediment, does that mean I can now call him a fat, ugly crook with no repercussions?

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
There wasn't a story until they conspired to concoct one. Sam shouldn't have fallen for it, true, but the low-lifes need never have set it up in the first place. All they've achieved is robbing the national team of a decent manager and replacing him with an ineffective suit.

Except that Allardyce was sufficiently greedy and complicit to the potential scam to contribute. He was caught and it is his fault alone. He isn't so stupid that he didn't know what he was doing.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
When did the "interview" that showed BIG SAM in such a bad light take place?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
My rational head tells me that I have no loyalty whatsoever to the England team, the FA, or any other crap that comes with it as I have been let down so many times over the years. To be honest (crap term) I actually wish that I had no interest in football, it is corrupt, full of overpaid prima Donna's, and the players ain't much better, full of celebrity chasing tossers who are unable to do a proper job. There are exceptions of course but overall it is a dirty industry.

But I cannot lose my love for the Albion, and one day when I may be looking at my last few sunsets, England will come along and get to the semi's once more, *******s!

Jan 30, 2008
My rational head tells me that I have no loyalty whatsoever to the England team, the FA, or any other crap that comes with it as I have been let down so many times over the years. To be honest (crap term) I actually wish that I had no interest in football, it is corrupt, full of overpaid prima Donna's, and the players ain't much better, full of celebrity chasing tossers who are unable to do a proper job. There are exceptions of course but overall it is a dirty industry.

But I cannot lose my love for the Albion, and one day when I may be looking at my last few sunsets, England will come along and get to the semi's once more, *******s!

this is why i gave up going to football
regards
DR

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Big questions for the FA here too.

It hardly shows their recruitment process in the best possible light. One of the critical factors for any high-profile position is sound judgement and discretion. So that turned out well, then.

Not only that but they paid a fortune to Sunderland to release Sam from his contract so they've pee'ed all that money up the wall too. And now they have to start all over again.

Jan 30, 2008
big questions for the fa here too.

It hardly shows their recruitment process in the best possible light. One of the critical factors for any high-profile position is sound judgement and discretion. So that turned out well, then.

Not only that but they paid a fortune to sunderland to release sam from his contract so they've pee'ed all that money up the wall too. And now they have to start all over again.
really, how did you work that one out :rolleyes:
regards
DR

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption

What utter bollocks, Allardyce didn't attend the meeting on his own on a whim he was accompanied by his agent and financial advisor neither of whom provided him good advice. All 3 were driven by pure financial greed and deserve everything that comes their way. The Telegraph should be applauded for showing Allardyce up to be the scheming, lying stupid dickhead he is, he doesnt deserve to be anywhere near the national team, good riddance.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What utter bollocks, Allardyce didn't attend the meeting on his own on a whim he was accompanied by his agent and financial advisor neither of whom provided him good advice. All 3 were driven by pure financial greed and deserve everything that comes their way. The Telegraph should be applauded for showing Allardyce up to be the scheming, lying stupid dickhead he is, he doesnt deserve to be anywhere near the national team, good riddance.

Spot on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports