[Film] Big Name Film Stars You Dislike...

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I took your advice and looked him up. He was a fine man, of that there is no doubt. My mild 'dislike' was not with respect to him as a person but I always felt he was simply too intense as an actor. There was just a bit too much of Burt in the roles he played. And this is one of those gloriously subjective threads where it really is a matter of opinion - by all 'objective' measures someone can be a great actor but they just don't ring any bells for everyone. Next time I see a Burt movie, I'll view him through a more sympathetic lens.

Burt saves the day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6bD23vEigE

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
Absolutely.

There isn't a single Hanks film that hasn't made me want to throw up. I wish I could find Jon Ronson's take down of Forrest Gump. one of the finest pieces of writing out there.

The entire premise of the film is flawed. 'Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get next'. Utter crap. Every box of chocolates has a card with a description of each sweet.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Hugh Grant
Steven Seagal
Richard E Grant
Any of the McGann brothers

I'm not having that.

Withnail and I is one of the finest films known to humanity. Don't be like uncle Monty :wink:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Here's another that absolutely grinds my gears and puts my teeth on edge, and had mee running, creaming from the TV room at his every merest mention.

Micky Rooney.

A wierd, disturbing dwarf of a man, permanently on tip toe, with his manic eyes pleading 'me, me, look at me!'. How he managed a massive and long career can only be a testament to his skills as a blackmailer, unafraid to go down to the very depths of the garbage to dredge up pecadillos he could use, later, to obtain parts.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
OK, done my research. Yes he made a lot of films, notably for Ken Russell and Michael Winner :facepalm: His wiki entry says that after that, in the 80s, his career went down hill :mad: I guess he has enough on his CV to qualify as a big star, at least in the UK. As an aside I have always regarded Russell and Winner as terrible directors (Russells 'Lair of the White Worm is great, but only for Amanda Donohoe :love:). I am old enough to have seen Reed's performance in Oliver at the cinema, and he was frightening as a wife beating bully, but at the time I assumed he was acting. Outside the cinema, his main saving grace is that his young bride stuck with him and seemed to adore him, so perhaps he was acting in Oliver after all. Verdict? Seemes like a modest talent, like so many in the arts the beneficiary of a fairly traumatic childhood, who, according to Christopher Lee was a shy and gentle soul who turned into a monster when drinking. Yes, I suppose he fits the bill wrt this thread; although I find I can't dislike him sufficiently for his acting, there is no excuse for going on the telly, pissed, in your 50s, and abusing women, and then doing the same thing again, and again, is there? . :wave:

I'm a bit out of my depth here. But hey - when has that ever stopped any of us from contributing on an NSC thread? I think with Oliver R. he was just rather over-rated (by whom, you ask, other than I suspect Oliver Reed) and another of the over-acting fraternity.
To my eternal shame I liked most of Ken Russell's stuff and would put him in a different class to Michael Winner. I give you Tommy. I give you Ann-Margaret. (But only on short-term loan and I'd like her back unsullied, please.)
Back to OR. I did quite like him in Oliver but I liked EVERYTHING in Oliver Twist and certainly wasn't going to let him spoil it for me. (Perhaps he was only ever any good - as you imply - playing bullies: Tommy and Oliver?)
Now to name-drop. One of my schoolmates was in Oliver. He 'only' played one of Fagin's gang but that was enough to guarantee him super stardom in my eyes. He went into the business that there's no business like, but never really made it. Shame, after being in one of the all time great British musicals at the age of 11 or so. A case of peaking too early which is only marginally better - and arguably worse for one's mental health - than never peaking at all. With respect to this latter point, I can contribute with some degree of expertise!

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
DC - I can see where your coming from, you won’t be alone, but have you seen Flashbacks of a Fool, Defiance, The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo and Munich? Quality performances by DC in very good movies, imho.

Definitely a mixed bag. I wasn’t overly enthused by his Munich South African character and I felt Defiance was let down by the hammy Belarusian accents, i.e, English with an attempted accent (see also Tom Hardy in Child 44, or Bob Hoskins in Enemy at the Gates).

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Dustin Hoffman

On Hoffman, the anecdote below is a good one:

Dustin Hoffman has long been known as one of method acting’s most earnest exponents. A showbiz story involves his collaboration with Laurence Olivier on the 1976 film Marathon Man. Upon being asked by his co-star how a previous scene had gone, one in which Hoffmann’s character had supposedly stayed up for three days, Hoffmann admitted that he too had not slept for 72 hours to achieve emotional verisimilitude. “My dear boy,” replied Olivier smoothly, “why don’t you just try acting?”

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'm a bit out of my depth here. But hey - when has that ever stopped any of us from contributing on an NSC thread? I think with Oliver R. he was just rather over-rated (by whom, you ask, other than I suspect Oliver Reed) and another of the over-acting fraternity.
To my eternal shame I liked most of Ken Russell's stuff and would put him in a different class to Michael Winner. I give you Tommy. I give you Ann-Margaret. (But only on short-term loan and I'd like her back unsullied, please.)
Back to OR. I did quite like him in Oliver but I liked EVERYTHING in Oliver Twist and certainly wasn't going to let him spoil it for me. (Perhaps he was only ever any good - as you imply - playing bullies: Tommy and Oliver?)
Now to name-drop. One of my schoolmates was in Oliver. He 'only' played one of Fagin's gang but that was enough to guarantee him super stardom in my eyes. He went into the business that there's no business like, but never really made it. Shame, after being in one of the all time great British musicals at the age of 11 or so. A case of peaking too early which is only marginally better - and arguably worse for one's mental health - than never peaking at all. With respect to this latter point, I can contribute with some degree of expertise!

Very good :lolol: I used to work in the Royal Pavillion Tavern with John (Aden) Gillett whose acting career hadn't yet started. Very funny and charismatic bloke.

As an aside Mrs T just mentioned that when she worked in a book shop in Oxford, Michael Winner was a regular customer, and she had his phone number :mad:

Hu_Camus

Jan 27, 2019
One you're all trying to "unsee", surely?..Jet Black.
As amusing as the clap.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
He's sound. Luckily (for me) he can see a bit of stick for the spirit in which it was intended.

Agreed. He and I have been flicking each other with the virtual wet tea towell, on and off, for quite some time. :wink:

W3 BHA

Nov 16, 2009
I have checked, and she was in lots of films, so I nominate Claire Danes, albeit for her role in Homeland. THE most annoying, hammy, overacting bint I have ever seen. Makes me shout at the screen every time she's on. It's a shame because, apart from her it's been, generally, a good series.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
One you're all trying to "unsee", surely?..Jet Black.
As amusing as the clap.

Who? I looked him up on wikipedia and all I got is the avuncular retired 81 year old ex drummer with The Stranglers :shrug:

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
'Big name'.

Although there is one name so far mentioned I might struggle with and will have to play the 'hardly a big name' card Steve certainly it's him.

The script writer for 'get out of jail free' cards, must also have written, Under Siege

Now I appreciate there's a couple of other good reasons to watch, Big Steve is still considerably better than dislike-able.
Seagal meets that criteria he produces and leads most of his own films.

He started off ok because he is one of the few geniune martial artists (world champion aikido and 7th dan black belt, went to Japan to learn) and playing bad guys in 007 movies.

I enjoyed Under Siege but he has gradually got worse and worse and up his own arse.

Given the past accusations I am surprised he wasnt looked at as another Weinstein, another lover of guns and the NRA. I didnt have him in my list because of the films I enjoyed but as a bad human being would definitely meet that list.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports