Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Big Dan Burn

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Big Dan Burn about to make his Champions League debut at the San Siro.

Fair play to the lad
Who'd have thought he'd go from being pilloried for an Adamo Traore roasting (or two) with us, to keeping a clean sheet at San Siro in the champions league for his hometown club?
Putting aside the not insignificant matter of taking the filthy Saudi cash, it's a wonderful story for a top man.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Who'd have thought he'd go from being pilloried for an Adamo Traore roasting (or two) with us, to keeping a clean sheet at San Siro in the champions league for his hometown club?
Putting aside the not insignificant matter of taking the filthy Saudi cash, it's a wonderful story for a top man.

A Newcastle-supporting mate messaged at halftime to ask if we would take him back.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
He really is their weak link. It’s surprising that’s they’ve spent all that money but not replaced him yet.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It would be a bit mean-spirited for the Geordies to turn on Burn now.

When he was picked up, he looked every bit a stop-gap measure, brought in to solidify their leaky defence and help keep them up before the money started rolling and the galacticos arrived.

No one, least of all Burn himself, expected him to have been near ever-present in what was a remarkable Champions League qualifying campaign built on the foundation of a stingy defence, and still be going strong when they kicked off in Europe.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It would be a bit mean-spirited for the Geordies to turn on Burn now.

When he was picked up, he looked every bit a stop-gap measure, brought in to solidify their leaky defence and help keep them up before the money started rolling and the galacticos arrived.

No one, least of all Burn himself, expected him to have been near ever-present in what was a remarkable Champions League qualifying campaign built on the foundation of a stingy defence, and still be going strong when they kicked off in Europe.
Exactly this. Why they haven't replaced him properly and kept him as a useful squad player is beyond me.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Exactly this. Why they haven't replaced him properly and kept him as a useful squad player is beyond me.
Newcastle are a bit weird. They're trying to be too clever for their own good. I don't understand why they are not spending more on improving the squad as a whole, some of their bench is rubbish. Maybe the Arabs don't want to pump too much in as people expect (which is amusing)

They also keep going on about FFP, which is really noble but do big money clubs really need to care about this as no one ever gets done?

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
The problem for Newcastle is that they don't have any young players they can sell on and benefit their FFP capabilities. Man City sell several youth team players for big money, most of which nobody has heard of before. They fund their transfers through multiple sales and then they're winning everything so they can easily net spent £100m - £200m because of their guaranteed revenues. Newcastle realistically can't do the same yet so they're restricted to being able to spend what they earn. They have bought multiple players since the Saudi oil money came in but are focusing on getting players around the £40m bracket. It'll take a few windows to get a player of that calibre in every position and Burn is currently their best left back. He'll probably be replaced next summer if they make at least the Europa League and guarantee themselves about £200m in revenue for the season.

The team looks dramatically worse this season than last and I think that's largely down to the persistent inclusion of Anthony Gordon, who I don't rate in the slightest. There's a lot of talk about Elliott Anderson but he doesn't look a player to me either. I'm surprised Harvey Barnes isn't getting more minutes because he does at least have some final third output.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Playing in the CL, eh? He always did have lofty ambitions...

Chuffed for him. Well done BDB.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
f*** Dan Burn, was never that good for us. What’s the point of a left back that can’t dribble or cross the ball or a centre back that can’t head the ball . I was glad to see the back of the lanky prick. Performed like a thug a few weeks ago when we stuffed them. Not of sufficient quality to affect the game so resorted to kicking and pulling. Wanker .

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
The problem for Newcastle is that they don't have any young players they can sell on and benefit their FFP capabilities. Man City sell several youth team players for big money, most of which nobody has heard of before. They fund their transfers through multiple sales and then they're winning everything so they can easily net spent £100m - £200m because of their guaranteed revenues. Newcastle realistically can't do the same yet so they're restricted to being able to spend what they earn. They have bought multiple players since the Saudi oil money came in but are focusing on getting players around the £40m bracket. It'll take a few windows to get a player of that calibre in every position and Burn is currently their best left back. He'll probably be replaced next summer if they make at least the Europa League and guarantee themselves about £200m in revenue for the season.

The team looks dramatically worse this season than last and I think that's largely down to the persistent inclusion of Anthony Gordon, who I don't rate in the slightest. There's a lot of talk about Elliott Anderson but he doesn't look a player to me either. I'm surprised Harvey Barnes isn't getting more minutes because he does at least have some final third output.
They can always sell player for silly money to their Saudi chums if necessary for FFP

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
Burn was great for us, not the most naturally gifted player but very hard working and clever. He also had a much better touch than anyone expects for a bloke that size, but conversely much worse with his head.

Realistically he's a mid table PL left back/centre back and Newcastle should look to upgrade. But take nothing away from Burn, what an achievement for him.

The next worry is that Newcastle will come shopping for the best LB in the PL next summer. In fact there are a few moneyed clubs who look like they could do with a LB improvement over the next few windows...

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Burn was great for us, not the most naturally gifted player but very hard working and clever. He also had a much better touch than anyone expects for a bloke that size, but conversely much worse with his head.

Realistically he's a mid table PL left back/centre back and Newcastle should look to upgrade. But take nothing away from Burn, what an achievement for him.

The next worry is that Newcastle will come shopping for the best LB in the PL next summer. In fact there are a few moneyed clubs who look like they could do with a LB improvement over the next few windows...
Cucurella probably availlable........!

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
They can always sell player for silly money to their Saudi chums if necessary for FFP
Yes, easy comment. But they didn't. They did sell Allain Saint-Maximin to a Saudi club but they didn't flog a child nobody had heard of for £50m as was being bandied around when the Saudis came in heavy. They obviously need a left back and probably a centre back or two, a goalkeeper, striker... basically, they need to rip out the guff and bring in top shelf replacements.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here