Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Big Dan Burn.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
All sorts of difficult choices for the manager to make. To start with, Webster. He's predominantly right footed, so an obvious choice for RCB. Last season he got moved to the left to accommodate White at RCB (or so it seemed) where he did extremely well. I think that he has even said he prefers the LCB role (think I read that somewhere - needs confirmation). So, do we now have an excess of LCBs? - Webster, BDB and Roberts. Even Dunk, I seem to remember, used to play the LCB in a back four.
Given that Duffy is only likely to play in the centre of a three, does that only leave Veltman as a player who prefers the RCB position? I guess Webster will be the obvious choice, even if it isn't his preferred option - I'm sure he's got the ability to adapt to anywhere in a back three or four..

So, first choice - Webster, Dunk and ? BDB, or how close is Roberts to a break through - or does he need a season, or even half a season, in the Championship frst?

The problem that he has is that there's no vacancy. He could play in the championship all he likes, but displacing one of our first choice defenders is going to be very very tough.

Same goes for Ostigard, Clarke, Van Hecke and others who we're going to have to make a decision on

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I think Burn is higher in GP's thoughts than your above suggested defences. I think Duffy is the one more likely to end up as back up. I think we'll mostly see this for this season

Veltman Webster Dunk Burn Cuccerella

IMO Webby is a much better RCB than LCB (don't get me wrong he's good everywhere) but longer term I think he'll be playing in the spot Duffy is currently playing in. Veltman will play plenty as I think Lamptey will have to be eased back into the team very gradually and Veltman will play a lot of right wing back.

But of course in reality we'll have injuries suspensions etc, so they'll all be needed.

Burn will get games, of course, and you're right that Veltman will play some games where I've put Lamptey, because TL is short of full fitness.

I DID state that these were based on everyone being fully fit!

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Excellent player. Horribly underrated because he's not fashionable and got skinned a couple of times by Traore

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

100% agree. Burn is an easy fall guy but I genuinely think he's a proper Potter player. Versatile, diligent, follows instruction well and almost never lets the side down.

It's easy to vilify a player for a poor performance (Burn v Wolves at home) if you don't like them, but forget a poor performance (Dunk v Wolves away) if you do like them. Both were game-costing errors, only one ended up with a stream of abuse when the line-ups are announced.

Now, I'm in now way suggesting those two players are on the same levels and Dunk has huge amounts of credit in the bank on account of being a club legend, but I would argue that Burn is one of our best value PL era signings and deserves much more credit than he gets currently.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
100% agree. Burn is an easy fall guy but I genuinely think he's a proper Potter player. Versatile, diligent, follows instruction well and almost never lets the side down.

It's easy to vilify a player for a poor performance (Burn v Wolves at home) if you don't like them, but forget a poor performance (Dunk v Wolves away) if you do like them. Both were game-costing errors, only one ended up with a stream of abuse when the line-ups are announced.

Now, I'm in now way suggesting those two players are on the same levels and Dunk has huge amounts of credit in the bank on account of being a club legend, but I would argue that Burn is one of our best value PL era signings and deserves much more credit than he gets currently.

Totally agree.

We're against world class players and inevitably there's going to be an individual error or someone will lose a battle or get skinned. Burn still gets too little credit for me and the assumption that he'll automatically be out of the team if all are available is not one I agree with.

Our defence has been magnificent for a long time now. How many teams have gone as long as we have in the division without getting battered at least once?

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Totally agree.

We're against world class players and inevitably there's going to be an individual error or someone will lose a battle or get skinned. Burn still gets too little credit for me and the assumption that he'll automatically be out of the team if all are available is not one I agree with.

Our defence has been magnificent for a long time now. How many teams have gone as long as we have in the division without getting battered at least once?

Yep, As you point out the thing with Burn is that everyone always assumes he'll be the first name left off the team sheet as soon as it's possible to do so and he never is. Look at our recent games. I can guarantee that must would have assumed March would be in at RWB so Veltman could drop back into CB with Dunk and Duffy, but no, in comes Burn at LCB. I think it'll be interesting to see how Cucurella performs without Burn behind him as he clearly provides a different type of support to the others.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
My favourite BDB anecdote was I think, from Webster

'When Dan piles the food on his plate, you're never sure whether he's going to eat it or climb it' Big appetite for a big lad :lolol:

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
'Dan Burn has had a scan on the knee he hurt in Wednesday’s Carabao Cup tie against Leicester City and although the full extent of the injury is not known, Graham Potter did confirm he will not be involved at Anfield.'

Could have done with his height v Salah.

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009
'Dan Burn has had a scan on the knee he hurt in Wednesday’s Carabao Cup tie against Leicester City and although the full extent of the injury is not known, Graham Potter did confirm he will not be involved at Anfield.'

if we're looking for someone to dominate Salah in the air then his name's SHANE DUFFY

crabface

Mar 24, 2012

Won't be seen, till next season then.

Nov 2, 2021
Won't be seen, till next season then.

Wrong:

https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/19691693.brighton-defender-dan-burn-make-quick-come-back/

Slightly off the injury topic; Burn is a great example of Hughton, although now a club legend and a gentleman, falling short of being a great manager.

Burn was picked up from Wigan and didn't play one first team game under Hughton, yet since he was given a chance has been one of our stand out players since Potter joined and has offered far more per game than Bong ever did on the left in one whole season. Bong always got a nose bleed going past the halfway line and could not cross to save his life.

If we also throw Uwe Hunemeier into the mix with Dunk, Duffy and Burn we had a great opportunity to play with 3 solid defenders at the back and mix it up a bit. This must have played a part in Bloom's frustration with Hughton. Giving him the right players to expand his game only for them not to be used.

Anyway just saying.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I found it difficult to award MoTM tonight, but yes, Dan gets it.

Fact Andy Townsend gave it to Lukaku was laughable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here