Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Big Dan Burn.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
VAR is now just the proxy for the way the ref was treated in the pre-VAR days. When he gives your side something it's "great ref, brilliant decision". Five minutes later when they give something against you it's "You don't know what you're doing!".

Personally I think the only real problem with VAR is how long it takes. Should be a rule that if it takes more than 30 seconds it's not obvious so move on. That's probably about the length of time we've seen for (e.g.) a goal ruled out by a late flag in non-VAR games.

Agree.

I posted ages ago it needs two tweeks - clear blue sky rule for offside (won't change anyting much but would 'feel' fairer to me) and a 20 second rule (if VAR can't be definitive in 20 seconds just go with what the ref decided).

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Agree.

I posted ages ago it needs two tweeks - clear blue sky rule for offside (won't change anyting much but would 'feel' fairer to me) and a 20 second rule (if VAR can't be definitive in 20 seconds just go with what the ref decided).

It's been the same with every sport which has adopted technology over the years, and all have ultimately reverted to a form of "Stick with the on-field call" for marginal decisions. We're just having to go round the loop for football as we have for cricket, rugby etc.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Ha ha! Pne of the funniest posts I have read for ages. You'd rather have the BDB goal wrongly chalked off immediately (thus quashing your celebrations) than suffer the indignity of waiting for the VAR decision? Jesus!

Drink driving laws, breathylisers, speed limits save lives, discuss:

"Don't agree.

Well OK they may do.

But if you can't handle a drink and drive a car you shouldn't be on the road. Providing driving conditions are not inclement it's pretty clear.

It's not a reason to keep the abomination of (etc etc)

Driving is about the sort of glorious moments you get when flooring it on an open road after a few shandies"

:facepalm:

No idea what Preston North End have to do with this.

My views on VAR are pretty simple.

Football is about the Dan Burn v Man City moments. It's about occasional outpourings of unbridled, spontaneous joy. The sort of emotional highs you can never get anywhere else in life.

VAR reduces the high created by these moments.

The trade off for a few less incorrect decisions isn't worth it. Especially for offside. The offside law is there to prevent egregious goal hanging. If it's that close, just let the lino make the call and if it's a few cm either way, who cares? If it's yards off, sack him and get better linos in.

And there's also an argument to say that VAR isn't really improving the number of correct decisions ... but that's not the argument i'm making. I'm arguing that it's existence reduces the joy of football. Therefore it isn't compatible with fan culture and no matter how many fatuous references to drink driving and patronising comments you make, it never will be, no matter how many tweaks are made.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I will always get behind every Albion player who gives it there all. But I have a soft spot for ones like Burn who, despite doing exactly that week in, week out, still get pelters from players here and online. Absolute bellends.

I've been willing BDB to find the back of the net all season. I wouldn't go so far as underrated, but he's definitely got something about him that a lot of people don't see – or don't WANT to see. Really chuffed for him getting the winner against the champions.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Football is about the Dan Burn v Man City moments. It's about occasional outpourings of unbridled, spontaneous joy. The sort of emotional highs you can never get anywhere else in life.

The trade off for a few less incorrect decisions isn't worth it. Especially for offside. The offside law is there to prevent egregious goal hanging. If it's that close, just let the lino make the call and if it's a few cm either way, who cares? If it's yards off, sack him and get better linos in.

And there's also an argument to say that VAR isn't really improving the number of correct decisions ... but that's not the argument i'm making. I'm arguing that it's existence reduces the joy of football. Therefore it isn't compatible with fan culture and no matter how many fatuous references to drink driving and patronising comments you make, it never will be, no matter how many tweaks are made.

Exactly this :thumbsup:

Plus the idea of part crediting BDB's goal to VAR is ludicrous.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I will always get behind every Albion player who gives it there all. But I have a soft spot for ones like Burn who, despite doing exactly that week in, week out, still get pelters from players here and online. Absolute bellends.

I've been willing BDB to find the back of the net all season. I wouldn't go so far as underrated, but he's definitely got something about him that a lot of people don't see – or don't WANT to see. Really chuffed for him getting the winner against the champions.

I think we have an actual candidate to take on the mantle of football genius.

Big Dan Burn Football Genius has a certain ring to it..

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

If you simply prefer the vibe without VAR that's fine. I don't, which is also fine. I used to be crushed when a goal of ours was chalked off so I find it strangely calming to wait a bit till the goal is confirmed. Never mind :thumbsup:

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Hopefully at some point the officials will get better at using the technology and the technology will be adapted to be more responsive.
Leading to long delays being kicked out of the process.

VAR will become just a little more annoying than not checking the linos flag when a goal is scored. 3/4s of the fans celebrating a goal before clocking the flag.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Hopefully at some point the officials will get better at using the technology and the technology will be adapted to be more responsive.
Leading to long delays being kicked out of the process.

VAR will become just a little more annoying than not checking the linos flag when a goal is scored. 3/4s of the fans celebrating a goal before clocking the flag.

Which can be done instantly.

I had no idea that it was a goal last night until I saw we'd started playing again. Probably 2 minutes later. Other decisions this season have taken closer to 5

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
If you simply prefer the vibe without VAR that's fine. I don't, which is also fine. I used to be crushed when a goal of ours was chalked off so I find it strangely calming to wait a bit till the goal is confirmed. Never mind :thumbsup:

So you like the feeling of scoring a goal then waiting for several minutes before it's confirmed? You quite enjoy the state of confusion of fans players and managers whilst mm are being poured over?

I don't know you, but I find it improbable. Much more probable to me is that you told people you thought it was a good idea at outset and you lack the self assurance and maturity to go "actually i've seen how it works, now i'm going to row back on some idle comment I first made 3 years ago"

You see, I get the argument that you believe it makes more decisions correct and that might be very important to you. Fine. I don't believe that you that it calms you in any way.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Which can be done instantly.

I had no idea that it was a goal last night until I saw we'd started playing again. Probably 2 minutes later. Other decisions this season have taken closer to 5

Well not anymore, but yes I take the point.

The approach, technology, and skills of the refs/analysts need to improve.

At the moment it isn't consistent leading to extended reviewing times.
As time goes on the technology will get better, the approach will become standardised and the delays will be less.

But right now it is in a very poor state

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
So you like the feeling of scoring a goal then waiting for several minutes before it's confirmed? You quite enjoy the state of confusion of fans players and managers whilst mm are being poured over?

I don't know you, but I find it improbable. Much more probable to me is that you told people you thought it was a good idea at outset and you lack the self assurance and maturity to go "actually i've seen how it works, now i'm going to row back on some idle comment I first made 3 years ago"

You see, I get the argument that you believe it makes more decisions correct and that might be very important to you. Fine. I don't believe that you that it calms you in any way.

Wow. That's really rude.

I have a particular mental make up, and one of my 'things' is fairness. Yes, yes I am content to wait till VAR has ruled in situations like the Burn goal. It looked offside to me in real time. When it was given I went apeshit. I had a fabulous time at the game.

I said we see things differently and that's fine. You don't seem to be able to cope with that. :shrug:

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Wow. That's really rude.

I have a particular mental make up, and one of my 'things' is fairness. Yes, yes I am content to wait till VAR has ruled in situations like the Burn goal. It looked offside to me in real time. When it was given I went apeshit. I had a fabulous time at the game.

I said we see things differently and that's fine. You don't seem to be able to cope with that. :shrug:

Yeh, went in a little hard there. Sorry mate.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I want a TRAFFIC LIGHT system in the stadium.

Off when no check is happening
Yellow when checking
Green when check complete and goal given. Followed by "you raise me up" belting out of the speakers.
Red when no goal
Shrug shoulders emoji when ref needs to go for a look

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Brilliant and well desrved, the Big Man has a hell of an engine and covered a hell of a lot of ground last night.
Delighted for his winning goal especially as I had BDB to score at anytime at 28-1. Also had Webby at 18-1 at anytime. Shame Whites piledriver didnt make it, had him at 33-1, anytime

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yeh, went in a little hard there. Sorry mate.

No worries. I didn't really mind - was more surprised than offended. I realise I'm a bit pecular about some things. :lolol: :thumbsup:

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
cubs-individual-game-tickets-2020-1.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here