Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Big clubs in the championship, are we one?

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
Nope - to be brutally honest. We've never won a pot, we rarely get more than 30k crowds and the atmosphere's often on the quiet side.

We're the best club in the world obviously, but we're not a 'big' club.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Not sure we are a big club in the vein of say Newcastle, but I do think we are a great club.
Nothing to do with how much silverware won, but potential, facilities, the players, the manager, the chairman, the support and of course the desire :)

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Luckily, we're a small, sleepy, seaside town that people have only heard of because of an issue with bathing and salt water and a film from the sixties. We'll know when we're big when you go abroad and you can buy a rip off replica shirt and a hand painted mug with seagulls on it:)
Until that time, I'm happy to be written off by the 'experts' on telly and to keep flying at a low level

Maldini

Banned
Aug 19, 2015
We are yes, whether fans of other clubs accept it or not.

Plenty of 'big clubs' in the Championship though, by any criteria:

Albion
Forest
Leeds
Villa
Newcastle
Wednesday
Derby

All these clubs have more history than Brighton and the towns have far more population.

I'd say we were medium.Leicester are not a big club and have only slightly more population than Brighton however they won the league.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
We've made the playoffs 3 times out of the last 4 seasons. I think we won't be under the radar next season

Maldini

Banned
Aug 19, 2015
On the other hand Brighton is a very prominent city.Lot's of visitors.One of the top destinations in the UK.Always the beach is in the papers when there's been hot weather.There are the politcal party conferences.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Genuine big clubs next season will be Villa Leeds Newcastle and Possibly S Wednesday........Derby Wolves Forest fill the next bracket and then Brighton are in the next bracket...

I wonder how many clubs this season had their largest home crowd vs Albion? Not too many i suspect.....

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
Search the words 'Football Administration' in wikipedia and see how many times we appear.
How easy would it have been to appear in that list over the past 20 years, but we didn't. We struggled and fought to be who we are.

That is more important, to me than 'how big' we are.

We have a club to support, one we are proud to be part of.

The Rattler

NSC Patron
Jun 30, 2010
Dullsville, Herts
So this is all very subjective. But I would break down teams in The Championship (yes, I know the final line-up not known yet) as follows:

Big
Leeds
Wolves
Forest
Derby
Sheff Wed

Medium
Brighton
Blackburn
Hull
Ipswich
Cardiff
Birmingham
Preston
QPR
Bristol City
Huddersfield
Fulham

Small
Brentford
Rotherham
Wigan
Burton

Tinpot
Reading

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
So this is all very subjective. But I would break down teams in The Championship (yes, I know the final line-up not known yet) as follows:

Big
Leeds
Wolves
Forest
Derby
Sheff Wed

Medium
Brighton
Blackburn
Hull
Ipswich
Cardiff
Birmingham
Preston
QPR
Bristol City
Huddersfield
Fulham

Small
Brentford
Rotherham
Wigan
Burton

Tinpot
Reading

On the money all the way down that list for me.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley

Big
Leeds
Wolves
Forest
Derby
Sheff Wed

Medium
Brighton
Blackburn
Hull
Ipswich
Cardiff
Birmingham
Preston
QPR
Bristol City
Huddersfield
Fulham

Small
Brentford
Rotherham
Wigan
Burton

Tinpot
Reading

No way wolves are that high. That's living of past history. I would stick them in medium.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here