Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bhasvic? Any thoughts....

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Out of curiosity, doesn't eastbourne have any good sixth forms?!
Not really. The local south downs college is not rated here as highly as the Lewes branch for instance. Bizarrely, no comprehensives in Eastbourne have sixth forms. The nearest are Seaford and Hailsham.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
All 3 of my boys have been there, the third just started. We have been very impressed. If your lad is academic and willing to work hard then it is a good option.

One issue you should check is whether he will get in to the catchment, as it is very popular. His school in Ebourne should know that.

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
BHASVIC is rated in the top three for both value added and A Level results, nationwide. The head, Chris Thompson, has just left after 18 years, so who knows where it will go from here?

My two sons both went there - the younger one has just left and his older brother left last year. Both did well, but as others have said they had to be self-motivated. Academic success is valued over everything else. Neither particularly enjoyed it, which we thought was a pity, remembering how much we had enjoyed sixth form.

Friends had kids at Varndean - they also did well. If your child needs a more nurturing environment, this would be a better bet, I am told. In retrospect, it might have been better if my boys had gone there.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
If your child needs a more nurturing environment, this would be a better bet, I am told. In retrospect, it might have been better if my boys had gone there.

My son is very independent and self motivated. Too independent for my liking sometimes lol! Trying to get him to let on about anything is like trying to squeeze water from a stone. But it sounds like Bhasvic may suit him. Thanks.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
My eldest went there, it intrigues me how you assess whether it is good or not, I never once did any real research other than it was near the centre of town which I thought would do him good compared to say Lewes and once he was there I never felt it necessary to have some sort of ongoing assessment of its practices.

I knew my boy would probably do enough and get the necessary qualifications to get him into University, which he did, but I cannot know whether it was any good, although one thing I do remember is just before his 'A' levels they decided to let them have a month or two off and called it something like a 'reading period' or something similar and typically my son actually used the time to do virtually nothing apart from an hour looking at books and pretending this was revision.

matt

Mar 19, 2007
I scored a hat-trick against them for Haywards Heath VI form third XI in 1987/88 but we still lost 5-4.

They didn't hold this against my daughter's application and she started last month. So far so good. I'd make sure your boy has a plan B though as they had far more applications than spaces for lots of courses this year, so there is no guarantee of getting in.

Good luck :)

Paskman

Not a user
May 9, 2008
Chiddingly, United Kingdom
I went to Brighton Hove and Susex Grammar School and the transition into BHASVIC beteen 1973 and 1980, so unless "Nuncki" Harmon and "Killer" Reeves are still there I can add nothing to this conversation!!! Do seem to recal that I had a good time in the sixth Form, not sure I made much use of it though!!!

smeg

Feb 11, 2013
BN13
My daughter went to BHASVIC and I'm not going to say she really enjoyed it much, however, they are a results driven college and they push the students hard. A cynic might suggest for the benefit of their own stats but as a caring parent I was delighted with that attitude as my daughter got the required A level results and is now settling nicely into University.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Haywards Heath college closes next summer...............'that's why you're going down' etc.........[emoji23]

Nah, that's the Central Sussex College of Excellence I believe. Totally different.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
BHASVIC is rated in the top three for both value added and A Level results, nationwide. The head, Chris Thompson, has just left after 18 years, so who knows where it will go from here?

My two sons both went there - the younger one has just left and his older brother left last year. Both did well, but as others have said they had to be self-motivated. Academic success is valued over everything else. Neither particularly enjoyed it, which we thought was a pity, remembering how much we had enjoyed sixth form.

Friends had kids at Varndean - they also did well. If your child needs a more nurturing environment, this would be a better bet, I am told. In retrospect, it might have been better if my boys had gone there.

That's interesting as we are looking at both.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
My youngest went there instead of Newman SFC which the others had done. BASVIC was much better organised so facilitated applications etc to uni. As regards results it is probably more down to the attitude of the student.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Which facilities were you impressed by?

There are a couple of new buildings that weren't there when I studied there as a teenager. One has only recently been built and it houses an area where students can study and which also has a canteen. They've also revamped the sports hall since I was there previously.

There's a really good language resource centre there too for anyone who studies any foreign language. A good selection of dictionaries, reference books as well as magazines and other material.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
There are a couple of new buildings that weren't there when I studied there as a teenager. One has only recently been built and it houses an area where students can study and which also has a canteen. They've also revamped the sports hall since I was there previously.

There's a really good language resource centre there too for anyone who studies any foreign language. A good selection of dictionaries, reference books as well as magazines and other material.
Thanks!

wurzelgull

Apr 1, 2016
Not sure if anyone has covered this already, but BHASVIC may suit some more than others. I was a student there about a decade ago (how?!) and it was great for me. Academically the college is great and everything was very good in general from my experience. One big difference between BHASVIC and say Hove Park is that BHASVIC is not run as a school. It is much more relaxed in terms of entering / leaving the college, uniform etc. For me this was great as I was quite ready to leave a 'school' environment, but some kids might prefer a bit more structure depending on where they're at. Perhaps coming from Eastbourne (no offence intended) being in an environment where you are able to explore Brighton town centre as a 16/17 year old may trump some of the other factors. Ultimately of course, it's your kids decision!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here