Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BHA January transfer watch

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Our strength this season has been the wide positions. Kazenga was stunning for the first six weeks, March was even better in the six weeks before he got injured, and Rosenior was a quality defensive option in front of Bruno. These are the players that won us a lot of games.

So with two of them out for months and no guarantee that Kazenga will come back and stay fit for the rest of the season, I really think we need to focus on adding two more wide players. We need options on the right and the left. Murphy just hasn't been good enough and Van La Parra is a totally ineffective player we should go nowhere near. So after getting a new striker, I would use all the remaining budget to add more pace, goals and guile out wide.

This is spot on.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
History is whispering to me that we'll sign a striker that no one has mentioned on here, probably from abroad. But that is only an uneducated guess!

Only to quote that damn awful legal advert..."Because that's what we do"!

But the big question is will he be injured when he arrives - ala Harper and Hambo?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Haha. I love it that van La Parra is totally ineffective. He set up a winner with virtually his first touch and scored in a couple of games too.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
But the big question is will he be injured when he arrives - ala Harper and Hambo?
both signed for the Development squad with a view to kick on and push for first team squad place sometime. It's January and no sign of that happening anytime soon. Our signings of young potential rarely works out.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
both signed for the Development squad with a view to kick on and push for first team squad place sometime. It's January and no sign of that happening anytime soon. Our signings of young potential rarely works out.

To be fair we have in the past brought on a number of young players not least Solly who now worth £? Millions. And of course now with the new Academy in full swing we can expect that to rise..... early days.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Haha. I love it that van La Parra is totally ineffective. He set up a winner with virtually his first touch and scored in a couple of games too.

Agree. Think totally ineffective is harsh. He is frustrating though. He can be brilliant but also try to beat his man too many times and lose the ball. In one way, I'd rather we tried to sign him permanently and work on him (although I'd also sign another winger too if possible) than on loan for the rest of the season.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Agree. Think totally ineffective is harsh. He is frustrating though. He can be brilliant but also try to beat his man too many times and lose the ball. In one way, I'd rather we tried to sign him permanently and work on him (although I'd also sign another winger too if possible) than on loan for the rest of the season.

Vlp has been an okay stop gap but he is only here because can't get near the wolves first team. There's a reason why that is - he's not that good.
If that's the calibre of player we are looking to sign permanently then I fear we're not serious about promotion.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
I see Marshall asa quality option, we should go for it, and while we are at it take McCormack from Fulham. Proven at this level scores from deep and up front positions.

McCormack wold be an excellent addition, but rumour is that apparently both big spending Middlesborough and Bournemouth will make moves for him in coming days.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
McCormack wold be an excellent addition, but rumour is that apparently both big spending Middlesborough and Bournemouth will make moves for him in coming days.

Bearing in mind he is 29, how much is he worth? Can't be more than his last £11m fee, surely?

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Vlp has been an okay stop gap but he is only here because can't get near the wolves first team. There's a reason why that is - he's not that good.
If that's the calibre of player we are looking to sign permanently then I fear we're not serious about promotion.

He's here as kenny Jackett hates him for some personality issues.
Looking at their wingers yesterday surprised personally he can not get a game with them. He would have been ideal yesterday for them, with the way they tried to play.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

I'm with you. He's certainly not at the effectiveness level of someone like Craig Conway who it's a real shame we didn't manage to get.. His delivery and number of assists is fantastic. VLP is more exciting in his style though and potentially a real game-changer. You only have to look at how Lua Lua and March have progressed to see how he could make a difference long term. The talent's there. It's about improving things like early delivery rather than beating the same man twice I think. Likewise, though he's been mocked a lot, Elvis reminds me of a younger Lua Lua - just needs to get his composure sort. Hoped for more at that price but people write players off far too quickly I think.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
He's here as kenny Jackett hates him for some personality issues.
Looking at their wingers yesterday surprised personally he can not get a game with them. He would have been ideal yesterday for them, with the way they tried to play.

This.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

Football is full of players who don't make it at one club and then do well at another. Van La Parra played 41 times for Wolves last season. For some reason, this year it hasn't worked out for him at Wolves but it is wrong to write him off for that reason.

For me, he has something to offer and there's a lot to work on. If we could get the right deal, I'd be happy to sign him up permanently as he could develop into a good winger for us.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I'm with you. He's certainly not at the effectiveness level of someone like Craig Conway who it's a real shame we didn't manage to get.. His delivery and number of assists is fantastic. VLP is more exciting in his style though and potentially a real game-changer. You only have to look at how Lua Lua and March have progressed to see how he could make a difference long term. The talent's there. It's about improving things like early delivery rather than beating the same man twice I think. Likewise, though he's been mocked a lot, Elvis reminds me of a younger Lua Lua - just needs to get his composure sort. Hoped for more at that price but people write players off far too quickly I think.

Agree, they both have potential. People forget how long it took LuaLua to hit the form he had this season. He had years as a regular substitute with a few starts but generally struggled when starting.

March had a poor start to the season and improved a lot. Wingers can be inconsistent but given a long spell in the team, they can find form.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Still think we should pursue Ben Marshll of Blackburn, very good player IMHO

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

If Middlesbrough get McCormack we might as well give them the title. Given the attacking players they already have, he would be a ridiculous addition. However, you do wonder how they would pass financial fairplay.

I do wonder if Fulham will let him go as they've just got a new manager and also have a transfer embargo so could only sign a loanee or free transfer to replace him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here