Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] BHA are BOTTOM of the table in set piece goals

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I'm sure they are. As I'm sure they have been for years and it has been years since we were routinely even average at set plays. As I said, i'm not contesting that we're great to watch or that we score goals or even that we've got a real shot at Europe. I'm as on board as most. But this is a thread titled "BHA are BOTTOM of the table in set piece goals." If i can't comment on our inability to affect a game from set pieces here, where can I?

East Upper Block F

I didn't start the thread and generally I don't start them. I'll comment on what's going if I see it. I'm not looking for anything, It was here.

You all seem rather eager to snap my head off for voicing an opinon. Maybe take a few minutes away from NSC and calm down.
Its very sensitive right now - for reasons - to pretend anything other than Brighton being anything other than perfect right now.

Each poor result is due to some individual: the keeper, the ref. Suggesting that there are some systematic things where improvement can be done would indicate that the cult persona in charge of these things isn't achieving perfection, and that thought simply isn't tolerable right now. For reasons.

Personally I agree with you though. It is perfectly fine to be able to have two thoughts in the head at the same time: things are going really well, but attacking set pieces is one of the areas where there is definitely room for improvement because quite simply it hasn't been good enough for the last 18 months.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
To be clear, I'm obviously very happy at how things are going this season. We've been brilliant, that goes without saying.

But I still found it quite startling to see that we are the WORST team in the League at set pieces. And it leads the the question of how many more points on the board we would have, if we were even half decent in this area. Because I think we have the tools in delivery and the armoury in the box to score.

But...apparently not.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
To be clear, I'm obviously very happy at how things are going this season. We've been brilliant, that goes without saying.

But I still found it quite startling to see that we are the WORST team in the League at set pieces. And it leads the the question of how many more points on the board we would have, if we were even half decent in this area. Because I think we have the tools in delivery and the armoury in the box to score.

But...apparently not.
Delivery = 100%. Plenty of fine takers.
Armoury in the box = among the worst in the league

One of the smallest sides and filled with players from non-European cultures where the aerial game is often much less important than it is here. When I try to imagine Pervis or Caicedo or Alexis scoring a header... it just turns dark.

There's 8 or 9 set piece takers in the team and usually just one or two (Dunk & Webster) who has anything resembling a chance to win a header in a packed penalty box.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Delivery = 100%. Plenty of fine takers.
Armoury in the box = among the worst in the league

One of the smallest sides and filled with players from non-European cultures where the aerial game is often much less important than it is here. When I try to imagine Pervis or Caicedo or Alexis scoring a header... it just turns dark.

There's 8 or 9 set piece takers in the team and usually just one or two (Dunk & Webster) who has anything resembling a chance to win a header in a packed penalty box.
The two you mention would, I'd expect, be chipping in with at least 4 goals a season between them. Dunk certainly has done in the past, I can even recall him being (slightly embarrassingly) our top scorer for long spells of the season.

I think we should expect a LOT more from them when it comes to getting on the end of set piece deliveries.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
The two you mention would, I'd expect, be chipping in with at least 4 goals a season between them. Dunk certainly has done in the past, I can even recall him being (slightly embarrassingly) our top scorer for long spells of the season.

I think we should expect a LOT more from them when it comes to getting on the end of set piece deliveries.
Agree both of them should score a handful of goals each season. In Websters case I think there's demons in his head each time he goes for it... too many unlucky woodwork hits etc and now he's not feeling he'll ever score again. Dunk has progressively turned into a more calculating and calmer player, which might not help when attacking corners.

Both of them gained a lot from Burn and/or Duffy being in the team as they would get more space.

Fair amount of randomness to it as well. In one of CHs PL seasons with Brighton, the team was top 3 in goals scored from set pieces and in the other it was bottom 3 instead. Similar ups and downs with Potter.

The current set of boys can't ever be among the most effective on set pieces, but bang average would be nice as that would probably result in another 6-9 points when the season is summed up.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
For as long as I can remember -- I've been on here since 2004 -- set-pieces have been a steady and reliable source of grousing.
It's an evergreen fallback, when there aren't other, more obvious, sore points to prod and poke.

fruitnveg

Jul 22, 2010
Waitrose. Veg aisles

According to this and this, he was our top scorer for 14/15 which marries up with what i can remember of that fairly horrific season.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I tend to think, “why not just give the opposition a goal kick” whenever we get a corner these days.

Dire doesn’t cover it.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
View attachment 157633

2 goals from set pieces this season is pathetic. I don't even know why I bother getting mildly excited at a corner or free kick any more.

Why is this ? Graeme Souness made quite an interesting observation .............
Let me stop you, there.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Let me stop you, there.
Yeah I know. I'm far from his biggest fan, and was not particularly impressed at how he allowed Simon Jordan to bully him off talkSPORT.

But he does (occasionally) make a salient point, so I don't by default ignore everything he says.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
We're bottom because we can't deliver nor are we brave. It sucks.
Three points against Plymouth next season in the Championship, a header from a corner no doubt, as we consolidate our mid table position, will put all the misery behind you, hopefully. Chin up, and stay strong :thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yeah I know. I'm far from his biggest fan, and was not particularly impressed at how he allowed Simon Jordan to bully him off talkSPORT.

But he does (occasionally) make a salient point, so I don't by default ignore everything he says.
A broken clock is correct twice a day ???

:wink:

(and, to be fair, he does have a lovely beard).

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
View attachment 157633

2 goals from set pieces this season is pathetic. I don't even know why I bother getting mildly excited at a corner or free kick any more.

Why is this ? Graeme Souness made quite an interesting observation in his column yesterday, when talking about how West Ham have gone from one of the top set-piece goalscorers last season, to one of the worst:

"There are two components to scoring set-piece goals. Delivery, which I would suggest has not changed. And a willingness to take a blow for the cause — put your head where you might get an elbow across your chops — which I would suggest has."

Are we a team of powder-puffs, unwilling to stick our heads in amongst the flying boots and clattering keepers when the ball is in the danger zone ? I cannot accept it's just down to bad delivery.

Considering we are 3rd in the EPL with open-play goals (behind only Arsenal and City), if we were even HALFWAY decent at set pieces, imagine where we could be in the League right now.

There MUST be a reason. What gives ?
I've not read the whole thread, so this may have been covered already.

But, without knowing how many set pieces we've attempted, we don't know how successful we've been.

We need a success rate percentage to make an informed opinion.

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
For as long as I can remember -- I've been on here since 2004 -- set-pieces have been a steady and reliable source of grousing.
It's an evergreen fallback, when there aren't other, more obvious, sore points to prod and poke.
To my mind, as long as I’ve been watching the Albion (1985) we’ve been shite at scoring from corners.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I've not read the whole thread, so this may have been covered already.

But, without knowing how many set pieces we've attempted, we don't know how successful we've been.

We need a success rate percentage to make an informed opinion.
We get on average 6.23 corners per game.
Only Liverpool, Man City and Newcastle have had more this season.

So despite getting more corners per game than 16 other clubs, we are 20th in scoring from them. I accept free kicks don't come into this, but even so...with 2 goals in total, we're clearly not very clever at those either.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here