Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Better to finish SECOND in the group?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
DÃnN¥ §ëÃGuLL© said:
I know we always say this but - we'll have to beat a good team somewhere along the line...

Well said.

Early results indicate it will be the usuall suspects in the last 8.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
DÃnN¥ §ëÃGuLL© said:
I know we always say this but - we'll have to beat a good team somewhere along the line...

Turkey and South Korea both made it to the World Cup semi finals last time easily enough and yes I know they didn't play against very difficult opposition.

If we have to play a charged up Brazil I'd rather do it in the final than slip up in the semi.

Yoda

English & European
Statto said:
Yep, that is correct. I worked it out the other day. It has to be a draw in the paraguay sweden game though (Paraguay could still get as many points as us if they win).

But we'd still be guaranteed top spot if Paraguay win because we've beaten them.

They go on results between teams first then goal difference now.

Last edited:

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Toronto Seagull said:
We might lose to T&T and Sweden. Then it would completely irrelevant.

:glare:

True. But after seeing Brazil tonight I really wouldn't mind if we could play them next game. to be honest.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Fragmented Badger said:
You don't seriously think Brazil will play like that once things get serious do you? Motson may be a complete tosser, but he did stumble upon one good point tonight: Brazil know they can coast through the group games. Don't expect to see them really find their form until the second round at the earliest. Also, for all the ridiculous criticism Motson and the equally unbearable Lawrenson were giving Ronaldo, I would still back him to score goals when it matters.

Which is why I'd love to catch them cold in the next game rather than play a pumped up Brazil in the semi final. Presuming we get that far ;)

Last edited:

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
I'd rather win it by beating the best teams (which i genuinely believe we can do, despite the performance on Saturday) than beat the so called 'lesser' sides - I wouldn't want to be accused of winning the world cup because we tactically lost again the Swedes to ensure playing someone not as good bla bla bla.

To be the World Champions, you need to beat the best. I, being delluded, think we can do this, and thus would rather we topped te group.

....although if this did happen, I'd miss the next round due to work, so maybe second place would be safer after all!

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Fragmented Badger said:
This is the world cup for god sake - we are actually going to need to beat class teams to progress! It's not the FA Cup, where an easy draw will see you through.

What, like Germany in 2002?

They played:

Saudi Arabia
Republic of Ireland
Cameroon
Paraguay
USA
Korea Republic

... to get to the final.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
top deffo !

think equador could blow it but we should see off the runner up of that group. Then we'd have a showdown with portugal/holland/argies in the 1/4's which is the first game where it is actually impossible to call.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
The only thing I would keep an eye on is the time of the 1/4 final if we get that far.

I believe its a 5 kick off if we finish second - I think we would prefer a 8 kick off.

Plus Equador will be use to the heat.

Last edited:

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Everyone seems to think that finishing second means we play Germany but they've got 2 very difficult games coming up. If they don't beat Poland (who will be playing for their lives - again!) then they could find themselves 2 points behind Equador. We saw against Poland how good they are on the counterattack, so I wouldn't assume an easy 3 points for Germany there either.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
if you are going to win it you HAVE to beat the best teams. and if people honestly believe we can win it, then they shouldnt be saying "we need to avoid these teams"

Albion Rob

I think as a team (and maybe as a nation) we will always just beat what is in front of us. Look at WC90, sneaking past Cameroon then pushing the West Germans agonisingly close.

In WC98 we lost to Romania then should have beaten Argentina.

I don't really think it's in our psyche to win well, we just like to get the job done - that means T&T or Brazil, we are always capable of rasing or lower our game to make sure we do enough (then have a goal disallowed by a bent ref).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here