Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Best Supermarket Mince Pies 2021 (running poll)

Which is the best supermarket mince pie 2021?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

zeemeeuw

Apr 8, 2006
Somerset
You've gone early on this, 2020 was all about Iceland luxury, 2019 was M&S and 2018 LIDL took the crown (in our household).

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I can’t believe puff pastry has come into the thread. Get a grip people, I said ‘pie’ not some abomination to pastry making!!

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I can’t believe puff pastry has come into the thread. Get a grip people, I said ‘pie’ not some abomination to pastry making!!

Is this pastry racism just because it is different?
A prerequisite was that it needs to have a lid, no stipulation was included in the choice that it had to be made of shortcrust pastry and my puff pastry pie still has mincemeat in it, and it is a pie, you can buy chicken and all sorts of pies made out of puff pastry, which again are my favourite.
Warm puff pastry mince pies with custard are superb.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Not tried Waitrose as we don't have one in this part of the world but Lidls are the best I've ever had from any other supermarket I've purchased them from.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
On the subject of tea , maybe it’s my age. But I really notice the difference in taste when served tea with a tea bag in a cafe or loose tea with a strainer . Done a bit of Googling and apparently the quality of tea put into tea bags is poor compared to what is used by loose tea manufacturers.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Is this pastry racism just because it is different?
A prerequisite was that it needs to have a lid, no stipulation was included in the choice that it had to be made of shortcrust pastry and my puff pastry pie still has mincemeat in it, and it is a pie, you can buy chicken and all sorts of pies made out of puff pastry, which again are my favourite.
Warm puff pastry mince pies with custard are superb.

I’m not arguing it’s not nice, I love a mince crumble but it’s not a pie, I should have been more clear, matching bottom, sides and top for a true pie. A puff pastry tart uses a different pastry technique for the lid than the rest of it.

Restaurants actually have the audacity to just use a puff pastry lid over a meat filling and call it a pie, even with no bottom or sides! I have to check with the staff each time, “has this pie even got a bottom?”.:facepalm:

Cpt. Spavil

Mar 9, 2008
We did this at work every december up to Xmas.

Both years running Canhams were the winners.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I guess so but only to the locals who live in Piccadilly and who earn more than £250,000 a year . I read a couple of years ago that an average weeks supermarket shop there will cost £465. Presumably for a family of 4 . Makes Waitrose look a bargain I guess .

I just get them mail order once a year, along with a "St, James" Christmas Pudding... Then, in January, I buy a load of their wine in the sale - keep it all year, then give it as gifts at Christmas. People do love some F&M wine!

I agree with the other poster that Harrods has certainly become crap over the last few years. Again, I only used to buy a few Christmas bits and then hit the January sales. I do not earn £250,000 a year. Maybe £250,000 a decade these days...

All the snobbery aside, Lidl and Aldi have nailed it on so many levels now. I bet their Mince Pies are delicious.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here