Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best place to eat out in Mid-Sussex

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
Monkey Man said:
Jeremy's at Borde Hill. Not been there but I've eaten at his previous haunts and his cooking is amazing -- really tasty.

I'd also recommend Jeremy's, Portlock. No idea what the man himself is like but we went there for my father-in-law's 70th birthday bash and it was very pleasant. Also nice grounds there if you fancy a ramble beforehand.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
algie said:
Not knocking you fella.Many moons ago that pub was very popular.People use to go their for the food.

That was my point, I sold it over a year ago now and had it for
4 1/2 years prior to that in which time I over doubled the takings. I sold the pub for doulble what I paid for it. I also completely re-decorated it which had not been done for many a year. Since though the pub has suffered due to the inexperiance of the new owners and the fact that they do not know how to keep their beer.

I used to pride myself on the beer and the food. I was able to keep 4 real ales on, in good condition. This can only be achieved if you sell enough of it. Something that is not happening now.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
PILTDOWN MAN said:
That was my point, I sold it over a year ago now and had it for
4 1/2 years prior to that in which time I over doubled the takings. I sold the pub for doulble what I paid for it. I also completely re-decorated it which had not been done for many a year. Since though the pub has suffered due to the inexperiance of the new owners and the fact that they do not know how to keep their beer.

I used to pride myself on the beer and the food. I was able to keep 4 real ales on, in good condition. This can only be achieved if you sell enough of it. Something that is not happening now.

I'm probably going back at least ten years.Is the other pub you run in Cuckfield?

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Another thing.I was shocked to learn how old you were.I thought(honest)you were older then me and i'm now 33.I met you two summers ago i reckon

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
algie said:
Another thing.I was shocked to learn how old you were.I thought(honest)you were older then me and i'm now 33.I met you two summers ago i reckon

I am older than you i'm 38!

And yes the other pub was in Cuckfield but I left that in April. I also had one in Horsham. I now run a consultancy company and an animal feed and tack shop. I now live in Wisbech!!

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
I was looking at your first Albion game.Thought it was your dob.silly me:shootself

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
What i couldn't understand was that you came accross as having a fair bit of cash but were running a pub?

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
PILTDOWN MAN said:
That is very much your opinion, my opinion is the guy is a complete wanker and if he was on fire I wouldn't piss on him I'd pour more petrol!!

I think Michael Winner has a new rival. ;)

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
algie said:
What i couldn't understand was that you came accross as having a fair bit of cash but were running a pub?

Well sorry to disappoint I'm not rich:down:

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
I used to really enjoy the carvery at the Old Tollgate in Bramber. Good food and as much as you can eat. I remember once having to sit very still as I was driven back to work after a long lunchbreak as I was literally full up to the top of my throat. The slightest movement brought food back into my mouth again - yum, seconds!

However, I haven't been in 19 years and notice it is now owned by Best Western so I have no idea if it is still any good.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
PILTDOWN MAN said:
When did you last go. If it was last year it was most proberly me that cooked your meal, I used to own The Victory.

Ata guess I would say that it was probably late summer Sept/October ush of 2005. We went back earlier this year, during the summer the food was quite good, a bit more expensive. What i did notice, being an ex publican, that in their position, next to a playing field they offered very little to encourage families with children.

When is somebody going to offer something other than chicken nuggets, fish fingers or dippers or sausages with chips and beans for children.

When we had our pubs we offered those things obviously but also a small portion of our menu meals with potatoes and veg.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
BensGrandad said:
Ata guess I would say that it was probably late summer Sept/October ush of 2005. We went back earlier this year, during the summer the food was quite good, a bit more expensive. What i did notice, being an ex publican, that in their position, next to a playing field they offered very little to encourage families with children.

When is somebody going to offer something other than chicken nuggets, fish fingers or dippers or sausages with chips and beans for children.

When we had our pubs we offered those things obviously but also a small portion of our menu meals with potatoes and veg.

Totally agree, we had a large menu for kids at only £1-99 plus now they have banned dogs and taken the bar stools away. Great way to piss off your locals! Believe me being in a small village you need everyone you can get in the winter.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
PILTDOWN MAN said:
Totally agree, we had a large menu for kids at only £1-99 plus now they have banned dogs and taken the bar stools away. Great way to piss off your locals! Believe me being in a small village you need everyone you can get in the winter.

I know only too well having run pubs for over 30 years.

We left our last pub in Feb 2003 as I didnt want to start all over again in a new pub at 60 years old and since then we have just done a few holiday reliefs for managers tenants etc to keep the wolves from the door. Will not do any more work this year not planned any until about March time 2007.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here