Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best paid player at the Albion

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
OK. I think this is relevant, if true, because, in a worst case scenario: Glenn is top earner; we know we have a tight wage structure the club are reluctant to break. IF, and its a big if, money becomes a sticking point in contract negotiations with him, the club may be unwilling to increase his wage substantially (obviously not factoring into % increase for promotion etc) for fear of breaking the wage structure. Probably reading too much into this as usual though.

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
Its none ofour business is it, aslong they perform on the pitch thats all thats matters

User Removed

Oct 21, 2005
Brighton
I love the way people say 'it's none of our business' and then comment anyway?!

Easy to say for people now but I guarantee you'll have something to say if a player leaves us for higher wages, refuses a good contract, or has a drawn out contract dispute etc.

And as we get more successful and creep up the league it will become more and more common.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent

Easy to say for people now but I guarantee you'll have something to say if a player leaves us for higher wages, refuses a good contract, or has a drawn out contract dispute etc.

And as we get more successful and creep up the league it will become more and more common.

Seeing as you feel it is your business give us all a laugh, what do you earn ?

Peever

Sep 5, 2010
Canada
As Brighton moves forward and they become more and more exposed and promoted as a club the talking point of wages will come up more and more. Generaly during times that are tough and there isnt much else to chat about. :thumpsup: to Brighton though keeping a tight wage budget and not letting it get out of control.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Ankergren was allegedly on £12k a week a Leeds

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing

Of course we should take an interest! - Its OUR CLUB!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Total wages for the year ended 30 June 2009 were £4.3million, a 22% increase on the previous year. This works out as £50,695 per employee, but only half the staff were on the playing side.

In addition the club employed 172 part time staff, mainly on matchdays.

The conclusion is I haven't a clue who is the best paid player, but the 22% increase in staff costs does reflect that TB was making a serious push under Slade for promotion last year.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
What is this obsession with people poking their noses in and feeling they need to know or comment on the level of any given player's wages?

I just don't get it.

Turning a blind eye to ridiculously extravagant transfer policy and risk going bust like Portsmouth, Leeds, Southampton etc etc etc could be risky? I think it's right the fans should be interested in how the club is run - and players wages are the biggest causing factor of clubs having financial difficulty

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I think there is a world of difference between the overall policy on wages (which last year were an unsustainable 115% of turnover), and wanting details of individuals.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Turning a blind eye to ridiculously extravagant transfer policy and risk going bust like Portsmouth, Leeds, Southampton etc etc etc could be risky? I think it's right the fans should be interested in how the club is run - and players wages are the biggest causing factor of clubs having financial difficulty

I don't disagree, but if I was concerned about the wage levels, I'd more be concerned about the total wage bill, not about one individual's salary compared to another. The wage cost, as El Pres has just pointed out, is a matter for public record. The individual salaries are not.

However, we appear to have another board of directors (many of whom were there under the previous chairman) who thankfully keep a keen eye on this sort of thing. Portsmouth, Leeds, Southampton we are not.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
What is this obsession with people poking their noses in and feeling they need to know or comment on the level of any given player's wages?

I just don't get it.

Try envy or a desire to be a busybody.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I think there is a world of difference between the overall policy on wages (which last year were an unsustainable 115% of turnover), and wanting details of individuals.

Benito Carbone's contract almost single-handedly bankrupted Bradford City and they still haven't recovered?

Peever

Sep 5, 2010
Canada
To be fair its good to worry about wages or you end up in a position of the clubs mentioned already and even Aston Villa. We have the some of the highest wage turnover in the prem. We pay out more in wages than the likes of Tottenham and they are in Champs league and until recent form, have been a far better side. Its not surprise that our wage bill is out of control since O neil felt like putting the likes of Beye and Sidwell on 40k+ a week. Crazy I tell you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here