Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best live band you have ever seen?

KLUNK

Mar 30, 2010
East Sussex
Isn't it odd, I liked their records, but saw them on their first ever tour, supporting Alice Cooper (I think) as the Stuart Adamson Band, they were really bad, then saw them some years later as Big Country, supporting Bowie, and again they were poor.

Yes,very odd!

Funny how people see things differently. I saw the Cure,for example,& despite loving them to bits,couldn't of been more disappointed. Yet,spoken to others who loved the very same gig(Head On The Door tour).

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Not too difficult to work out which side you'd have been on in the Mods v Rockers thread!

Ha, and I was one of the 500,000 at the last ever Jam gig, it was a great and memorable event. But I never thought the Jam were a particularly good live band, energetic, yes, enthusiastic, yes, crowd pleasers, mmm, to a degree, but never brilliantly executed performances IMO. I only saw them twice mind, so might not have been the norm.

niknokseagull

Give us a biscuit
Oct 8, 2003
London
Not everyone's cup of tea but the sheer force of nature that is Slayer is something to behold. As close to a 'biblical' experience as you're likely to get.
Followed closely by Twisted Sister and Iggy & The Stooges, both containing probably the greatest front men in rock.

Biggest surprise band for me, as I was only going along to keep a girlfriend happy, was U2 on the Achtung Baby tour at Wembley. It was the one with the big lemon, anyway. Left that evening with a new found grudging respect for the self important tax dodgers.

raymondbriggs

Dec 21, 2008
on a snowman plough
Seen the big boys from Pink Floyd through UB40 to Paul Weller,Prince in his prime and the likes of Hawkwind,Yes,Supertramp and The Flying Burruitto Brothers,Jimmy Cliff to Gary Newman.

But the best Live band I have ever seen?----- Nicky and The Dots at a now demolished Brighton pub,The Alhambra.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Foo Fighters + Led Zeppelin (Wembley)
Muse (Wembley)
Les Savy Fav (London Astoria)
Funeral For a Friend (Shepherds Bush Empire)
Rage Against The Machine (Finsbury Park)
Pixies (Brixton Academy)

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Nirvana by far.

I'm not really into music to be honest but they lived up to all the expectation and hype.

Unpolished, deliberately mucking up the hits but it was very much a "Right I get this now" moment.

Last edited:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
For pure amusement and showmanship, it has to be Gary Glitter.

You know,I wanted to say that but didn't think it would be appropriate. I first saw him at the Top Rank with a load of hardcore punk rock bands, and then many times for his Christmas shows at the Centre, he was a lot of fun, a great performer, and those 2 drummers sounded fantastic. Shame, he turned out to be such a wretched human being.

ridda

Oct 6, 2003
BN1
Ian dury and the blockheads are the best live band I have ever seen and I have seen hundreds in my time.

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
You know,I wanted to say that but didn't think it would be appropriate. I first saw him at the Top Rank with a load of hardcore punk rock bands, and then many times for his Christmas shows at the Centre, he was a lot of fun, a great performer, and those 2 drummers sounded fantastic. Shame, he turned out to be such a wretched human being.

Still one of my favourite Xmas songs ever

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Grateful Dead. Saw them at least 50 times from 1990 up until their last show in 1995.

Would love to have seen them, I downloaded "30 Days of dead" last year, and I can just listen to it all day long.

The Modfather

Dec 13, 2009
Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads
Ha, and I was one of the 500,000 at the last ever Jam gig, it was a great and memorable event. But I never thought the Jam were a particularly good live band, energetic, yes, enthusiastic, yes, crowd pleasers, mmm, to a degree, but never brilliantly executed performances IMO. I only saw them twice mind, so might not have been the norm.

I was luck enough to see The Jam four times, and the final gig was not great in comparison to the earlier three.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here