Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Best ever Brighton manager?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I don’t dare!

From a personal point of view, it’s a toss up between Mullery, Cattlin, Poyet, CH and GP.

The manager I related to the most was Cattlin, I was more gutted at him being given the boot than any of the others, I think I might feel worse if GP gets his P45 though

Me too..... re Cattlin - I met him early on in the 1901 lounge, and found myself starstruck....... don’t know why.

Have chatted to Mullery lots of times, and he’d always get my vote, but Cattlin did a great job.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I’ve always had a soft spot for Micky Adam’s, thought he was always quite underrated. LOVED Poyet, don’t care what anyone says, it was thrilling at times with him in charge.

Hughton. Legend of course, but disappointed with the negative surrender he showed towards the end.

GP is on his way to being my all time favourite Albion manager. Certainly in terms of the technical quality of football played and the sort of players we have.
The play offs under Poyet criminal and definitely not thrilling. He had a strop before our biggest game for years, which goes back to the old saying in football your only as good as your last game.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Not for me no. I accept he got us to the promised land but for me he did it with Taylor's team and his second spell was pretty poor.

The side that won at Newcastle to win promotion were all Mullery’s signings except Horton & Ward so hardly Taylor’s team.
The style and results we had under Mullery to win promotion from Third Division to First in 3 seasons have only been matched in part by Hughton’s and Poyet’s promotion winning sides.

His second spell was under totally different circumstances to the first and didn’t get the playing budget he needed and he was being played by certain members of the board at that time.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
It’s all about context and there are a free greats....but to add another

Steve Gritt. What he did with that team for that season in that environment was truly outstanding

Lincolnshire Seagull

Jul 9, 2009
The side that won at Newcastle to win promotion were all Mullery’s signings except Horton & Ward so hardly Taylor’s team.
The style and results we had under Mullery to win promotion from Third Division to First in 3 seasons have only been matched in part by Hughton’s and Poyet’s promotion winning sides.

His second spell was under totally different circumstances to the first and didn’t get the playing budget he needed and he was being played by certain members of the board at that time.

Peter O'Sullivan ?

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
It’s all about context and there are a free greats....but to add another

Steve Gritt. What he did with that team for that season in that environment was truly outstanding

If we take it down to basics I asked myself 'which managers have I sung about'.

It's Chrissy Hughton who had a blue and white army, and Steve Gritt who had no hair.

Although I always admired Cattlin, and used to pop into his rock shop just to speak to the great man. Does he still run it?

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Jeepers creepers, we go from a majority of NSC'ers after the Arsenal game thinking that Potter should be sacked after 1.5 seasons in charge, to just over a month later people claiming he could prove to be the club's greatest ever manager. :moo:

CH for me, for getting us to the promised land and keeping us there. 2016/17 was a magical, magical season.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Mullery , such great times .

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Gus Poyet (until his ego consumed him)
Mickey Adams 1st time (2nd time he was ****).

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Potter has the higher ceiling, but ultimately hasn't achieved anything tangible with the squad he has in the way Hughton and Mullery did with the squads they had (despite having arguably the best squad of the three). Therefore I don't see how you can say he is better than either of them at this present time.

He isn't and that's the age old debate, what would have a hungry young (ish) Alan Mullery done with this present squad or even Chris Hughton?

Or bearing in mind he was building from the back, Mike Bailey would have an embarrassment of riches with Messrs Dunk, White, Lamptey and Webster.

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields
He isn't and that's the age old debate, what would have a hungry young (ish) Alan Mullery done with this present squad or even Chris Hughton?

Or bearing in mind he was building from the back, Mike Bailey would have an embarrassment of riches with Messrs Dunk, White, Lamptey and Webster.

Chris Hughton? We have not conceded in FIVE league games!

You have your own agenda but give Potter a break

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Chris Hughton? We have not conceded in FIVE league games!

You have your own agenda but give Potter a break

Big Frank I don't have a personal agenda against Potter, I like many others feared the worst but thankfully things have turned round, and I've put my hands up to say I was wrong.

This is a far better squad than CH had, so we will never know what he could have done with it?

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Well l think there should just be three on the short list really, Alan Mullery, Chris Hughton, and Graham Potter, the only three managers who have been in charge in the top division.

A matter of conjecture which order you would place them in though.

So was Mike Bailey...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here