Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Best ever Brighton manager?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
It has to be Hughton for me (although like others, I’m sure Potter will take the crown at some point).

Those 2+ Championship seasons were my happiest time as a fan. Every game was winnable and we’d have walked the Championship in 2017 if we’d not thrown in the towel after about 40 games drunk on the euphoria of getting the Albion into the Premier League for the first time.

My attachment to that period is still very strong, so much so that I’ve been cheating on the Albion by following another football club (that takes me back to those glory days) a little behind their backs!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Probably needs a POLL.

I don’t dare!

From a personal point of view, it’s a toss up between Mullery, Cattlin, Poyet, CH and GP.

The manager I related to the most was Cattlin, I was more gutted at him being given the boot than any of the others, I think I might feel worse if GP gets his P45 though

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I concur. In another world where Gus realised what a great owner and club he was at he would still be here and we would have probably made the Premier League a little earlier.

Unfortunately not, the arrival of PB, given his and Gus's previous at Spurs, meant it was a match made in hell and destined for an inevitable split.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Adams did well but I'd question "budgetary constraints". We paid £100k for Zamora and £50k for Cullip and won out on bidding wars for Nathan Jones and (amazingly) Geoff Pitcher. It's nothing by PL standards but, at the time, that was decent money.

There have been times when we really up against it financially but Adams was well backed.

We'll have to agree to dsagree on that one. At the time, with all the monstrous costs of the new stadium process, the Albion didn't have a pot to piss in for players.

Is Geoff Pitcher still out there on loan somewhere btw? I always think of him as that last remaining WWII Japanese soldier hiding out in the undergrowth somewhere :lol:

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
For me in my lifetime:

1. Hughton
2. Adams pt 1
3. Poyet

Each of these have played a major role in where we are today and were fantastic managers each in their own right at the time they were at the club. If Potter continues what he has started then I See no reason as to why that list couldn't change.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We'll have to agree to dsagree on that one. At the time, with all the monstrous costs of the new stadium process, the Albion didn't have a pot to piss in for players.

Is Geoff Pitcher still out there on loan somewhere btw? I always think of him as that last remaining WWII Japanese soldier hiding out in the undergrowth somewhere :lol:

My over riding memory of Pitcher is when he signed for some lower league club and I saw an interview on South Today or similar and he came up with “I used to play for Brighton but I’m not gay”

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I struggle to look beyond Chris Hughton, simply because of the speed in which he turned a disaster area into a quite fantastic attacking side. He will never have to buy a drink in Brighton again, and rightly so.

Poyet runs him close though - the way he absolutely transformed Adam El Abd - whose confidence was shot to bits under Adams(2) - into an outstanding League One centre-half shows just how well he understood the game, and some of the football we played in our final Withdean season was breath-taking.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
In my lifetime it has been Hughton, followed by Poyet, Steve Gritt, Micky Adams, Peter Taylor, Oscar Garcia. Worst Jeff Wood, Sami Hyypia, Martin Hinshelwood, Jimmy Case

It's such a subjective issue especially as today's football is far more skillful than any previous era. World class players are abundant in premier league as opposed to the 80s and 90s. That said back in that time the football was far more physical on mud and sand over winter months. Mullery Bailey and not forgetting Melia getting us to our only cup final. For me Chris Hughton just as our best manager followed by Gus. Think Graham Potter could prove to be the best ever in time particularly if we manage a top 10 finish in today's premier league.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
Poyet and Houghton for me.

Like others have said it ended on sour note with Poyet but he got us playing some great football, he really kick started our football revolution and signed some cracking players.

Then I go with Houghton too, needless to say he got us to the hallowed promise land, steadied the ship and made us a stable club and saved us from relegation.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
There's lots of context involved as well isn't there. Everyone hated Barry Lloyd for a long time but he managed to take us to a playoff final on a very meagre spend.

For me, Gus really excited me - even if he was a bit of a basket case - and Steve Gritt must get a mention! He kept us in the league, so arguably pulled off the greatest achievement.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Jimmy Melia. The Disco King - only man to take us to a cup final :rave:

The league performances were a bit unfortunate though, and it ended badly. :jester:

el punal

Poyet for me. That league one season was breathtaking (and they said you couldn’t play that style in L1!) and some of the football we played in the Championship was top notch. Obviously ended rather sourly but I prefer to remember the good times :)

I’ve always wondered how far Gus would have taken us if only he kept his ego in his pocket. He certainly had the charisma to keep the club in the limelight, he had the reputation to be able to attract targeted players, his tactics were generally spot on, he was certainly loved by the fans . . . . if . . . if :shrug:

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Hard to evaluate never mind call.

Chris Cattlin - Did amazingly well with no money. Harshly treated.
Chris Hughton - Kept us up then got us up. Some truly great years.
Gus Poyet - Style and with a bit more backing and a lot more patience on his part who knows
Peter Taylor the 1st - What might have been? His core team got us to the 1st Div. The best judge of a player by a mile
Brian Clough - Skipped town before we got to find out, but given what he did elsewhere probably the best manager even if that wasn't for us.
Graham Potter - Early days but its going the right way

One of these, but all have their claims to be the best.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here