Votes: 21 25.0%
  • 1960's

Votes: 21 25.0%

• Total voters

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Looking at the foundations of modern music though, and so often it goes directly back to a root that is embedded in the 1960's. Many bands ran for decades beyond then, and people will still revere and seek the 60's records out.

Creatively, it was an explosion of artistic imagination - whether fuelled by drugs or whatever. Nothing since has surpassed that time for music. Yes, some sounds have come out in 1978, 1983, or 1991, that could have done just as well in 1967, but that is the litmus that they can be judged by. That 60's music could still do just as well today if newly released, says as much.

The 60's for me. Hip, groovy, and in with the in crowd baby, yeah. Swingin' :thumbsup:

The 60's were innovative and fresh. Every decade since has built on that foundation but never bettered it.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The 60's if only for the variety and the fact that, Dylan, the most influential man in the history of modern music made most of his stuff best music then.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
There's good stuff and crap in every decade. The 70s was shocking until punk came along, so that's out. The 80s was pretty good but I'd have to plump for the 60s: the Beatles, the British RnB scene, Tamla and Stax, the psychedelic era, Frank Zappa, Captain Beefheart, some great jazz, the Velvet Underground, Jacques Brel ... yep, does it for me.

:thumbsup:

Parson Henry

Jan 6, 2004
Victor Bhanerjee's notebook
There's good stuff and crap in every decade. The 70s was shocking until punk came along, so that's out. The 80s was pretty good but I'd have to plump for the 60s: the Beatles, the British RnB scene, Tamla and Stax, the psychedelic era, Frank Zappa, Captain Beefheart, some great jazz, the Velvet Underground, Jacques Brel ... yep, does it for me.

and only you...

:blush:

and only you...

:blush:

Nope, does it for a few people I think, including me.

In the 60's, even the pop pap, the bubblegum music, and MOR was excellent.

Cheer up sleepy Jean, we're happy together but you don't have to say you love me,
I only wanna be with you
on the way to San Jose
for everlasting love on a summer holiday,
cos I've been lost in a daydream, with a hole in my shoe watching flowers in the rain since the sun ain't gonna shine any more on the sloop John B ferry crossing the Mersey in a world without love ...........

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Has to be the 70's by a mile.

No other era had The Beatles, The Stones, The Kinks, The Who, Led Zeppelin, Bowie, Queen, The Clash, Doobie Brothers, Hendrix, The Doors all producing music within it.

The Beatles split in 1970, The Kinks were as good as finished as a popular act by 1970, Hendrix died in 1970, and Jim Morrison was dead by 1971. But I know what you mean.

Still, it's the 1960s for me.

unnameable

Feb 25, 2004
Oxford/Lancing
1965-1982

The Velvet Underground
Lou Reed
Nico
John Cale
The Who
The Kinks
The Jam
The Clash
Elvis Costello & the Attractions
The Stranglers
Bay City Rollers...

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Bay City Rollers? Are you serious?

Go on then...

1frasier.crane.jpg

I'm listening.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think the best era actually spans the 70s and 80s.

You've got The Jam, The Clash, U2, you've also got the New Romantic scene, Ska, New Wave Of British Heavy Metal, punk. It was all going on in a 5 year period 1977-1982. I don't think we'll ever get that level of quality and diversity ever again.

Parson Henry

Jan 6, 2004
Victor Bhanerjee's notebook
Nope, does it for a few people I think, including me.

In the 60's, even the pop pap, the bubblegum music, and MOR was excellent.

Cheer up sleepy Jean, we're happy together but you don't have to say you love me,
I only wanna be with you
on the way to San Jose
for everlasting love on a summer holiday,
cos I've been lost in a daydream, with a hole in my shoe watching flowers in the rain since the sun ain't gonna shine any more on the sloop John B ferry crossing the Mersey in a world without love ...........

Not bad but not great. 60s have always been looked at with overrated specs

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here