Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best Enlish player since Gazza?

Who is the best English player since Gazza?

• Total voters

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
In terms of ability then for me it has to be Scholes, couldn't tackle for love nor money but that's about it.

Whilst I wouldn't put Beckham right up there, it's worth saying that he did have moments/matches of utter brilliance. England vs Greece for example, I can't recall a one man performance like it.

Honourable mentions; Cole (we don't have many world class players), McManaman and Lampard (no flair but a great player).

Adders1

Jan 14, 2013
Gazza could make things happen when he had the ball, and draw the opposition out of shape because of his natural skill and quick football brain - he could play a flair game even when he was overweight or carrying an injury. The only modern comparison is Rooney, but fooball has changed too much to be able to accurately compare players from different eras.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It's success no doubt. But my yard stick being McManaman and Hargreaves both won the CL. Beckham won 3 titles in 3 different foreign leagues.

Fair enough. I really struggle with the idea that Hargreaves was an Englishman abroad though. He was born in North America, lived in Canada until 16 then Germany until 28. He never lived in England for any time at all until he moved to Man U. In fact he has the distinction of being the only Enland footballer to have played for England yet never been a resident of the country.

As an aside I really rate the guy, he was a brilliant player who was disgracefully criticised by England fans before they cottoned onto the roll he played and it's importance in the modern game, and also a supreme professional. He was the only reason I took an interest in England some time ago. I'm not criticising him or his choice in playing for England. More challenging the idea that he was a successful Englishman playing abroad. He was not an English export.

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Whilst I wouldn't put Beckham right up there, it's worth saying that he did have moments/matches of utter brilliance. England vs Greece for example, I can't recall a one man performance like it.

At the time, I didn't realise that would be the last time I saw an England midfielder completely take control of an international football match. He was a one man team that day, a single minded desire to get to the world cup finals. I've certainly not seen a performance like that from an England player since. Before, perhaps in Euro '96 against the Dutch, although they all played well that day. It's funny, at 22 yrs old, I didn't realise that was going to the be best I'd ever see of England....

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
At the time, I didn't realise that would be the last time I saw an England midfielder completely take control of an international football match. He was a one man team that day, a single minded desire to get to the world cup finals. I've certainly not seen a performance like that from an England player since. Before, perhaps in Euro '96 against the Dutch, although they all played well that day. It's funny, at 22 yrs old, I didn't realise that was going to the be best I'd ever see of England....

I have never seen an England player who wanted to play for England so much either. Especially when he was in America, he went to ludicrous lengths to train and play during the US close season and get himself considered. A cut forehead (which miraculously had sufficiently healed a few days later) would not have stopped him playing.

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
May I remind you that Djimi Traore and Ivan Campo have CL medals and Stephane Guivarche and Bernard Diomede won world cup medals. Consistency over a long period of time is far more of a relevant yard stick imo.

Yeah great. My point being these three had a very active part in each teams success and were consistent over a period of time.

If you wanna play top trumps and name shit players that have CL or WC winners medals I give you:
Jonathan Greening
David May
Kleberson

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face

By 'taking control' he made us ridiculously narrow and unable to force an attack. It was a great free-kick but better management and Beckham staying on the right where he should have been we might have scored earlier. He was like a rabid dog.

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
As an aside I really rate the guy, he was a brilliant player who was disgracefully criticised by England fans before they cottoned onto the roll he played and it's importance in the modern game, and also a supreme professional. I'm not criticising him or his choice in playing for England.

Amen to that. His performance against Portugal at the WC in 2006 was great evidence of his character and ability. He was also the only player that scored all his penalties in training. Having an education in Germany is good for somethings and probably more.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Yeah great. My point being these three had a very active part in each teams success and were consistent over a period of time.

If you wanna play top trumps and name shit players that have CL or WC winners medals I give you:
Jonathan Greening
David May
Kleberson

Thank you for helping me make the point.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Lampard for me, the complete midfielder and an all round good guy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here