Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best Enlish player since Gazza?

Who is the best English player since Gazza?

• Total voters

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
It's a shame that Scholes, Gerrard and Lampard were of the same generation. A decade was wasted trying to shoe horn them into the same team even though it limited the impact of each and left the team out of balance.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Beckham = biggest game changer since Gascoigne

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Scholes did not underachieve on the international stage, he just chose to retire early, there's a huge difference.

I disagree. 66 caps, 14 goals, and he managed only 1 goals in his final 31 matches for England when he played in a considerably more gifted England side than the one we've presently got. Retired at 29; sure, he was great for Man Utd but the stats show Lampard has done more for club and country.

By strange coincidence, Lampard too had 66 caps, 14 goals at age 29. Since turning 30 he's bagged 15 more goals in just 34 appearances. This then begs the question if Scholes had not retired could he have done the same and, if so, how much better would we have fared in WC '06 and WC '10, not to mention actually qualifying for Euro 2008.

Last edited:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It's a shame that Scholes, Gerrard and Lampard were of the same generation. A decade was wasted trying to shoe horn them into the same team even though it limited the impact of each and left the team out of balance.

It's also ironic that in 2 particular tournaments with the Golden Generation the standout midfielders were Owen Hargreaves and Nicky Butt.

scwiffy

Jun 24, 2011
Ashley Cole is the only person in the world who can make Ronaldo and Messi look average, has right midfielders in his pocket every time he plays, yet still manages to chip in offensively as well. He's been the one of the best LBs in the world for the majority of his career IMO.

Gerrard would pip him to the post if we were only talking at club level but his England appearances haven't been anywhere near as constant as Cole despite sometimes carrying England almost by himself.

scwiffy

Jun 24, 2011
How Beckham is winning this poll is unbelievable. Saying Beckham is the best player for England since Gazza is the equivalent of saying Alex Revell is the best player for the Albion since Peter Ward. Just because he ran around a lot and tried hard.

I've attached an article with various quotes from Scholes peer's. Says it all really.

http://www.givemesport.com/344869-paul-scholes-the-best-quotes

Wow, great read. My favourites

"I’m star-struck when I see Paul Scholes because you never see him. On the pitch you can’t catch him. Off the pitch he disappears."
- Luis Figo

"When we were in training, I used to do a lot of tricks which hardly any players at the club could do. Once I was showing my skills to Scholes. After I finished, Scholes took the ball and pointed to a tree which was about 50m from where we were standing. He said, I’m going to hit it in one shot. He kicked and hit the tree. He asked me to do the same; I kicked about 10 times, but still couldn’t hit it, with that accuracy. He smiled and left."
- Cristiano Ronaldo

"At La Masia his name was mentioned a lot. He’s a teacher."
- Lionel Messi

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I disagree. 66 caps, 14 goals, and he managed only 1 goals in his final 31 matches for England when he played in a considerably more gifted England side than the one we've presently got. Retired at 29; sure, he was great for Man Utd but the stats show Lampard has done more for club and country.

By strange coincidence, Lampard too had 66 caps, 14 goals at age 29. Since turning 30 he's bagged 15 more goals in just 34 appearances. This then begs the question if Scholes had not retired could he have done the same and, if so, how much better would we have fared in WC '06 and WC '10, not to mention actually qualifying for Euro 2008.

Being played out of position on the left of midfield for a couple of years so that the dynamic duo of Lampard and Gerrard could play alongside each other (and look how that worked out) probably helped him make his mind to retire from internationals

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

top stating :thumbsup: however it overlooks that Scholes was often out on the wing for England, and has aways been more the playmaker and provider than necessarily scoring. I'd like to see assist stats, i bet Scholes was way higher than Lampard. Lampard has made a speciality of long range/edge of box strikes and has an unusually high goal count for a midfielder.

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
Chris Waddle had a very successful period at Marseille. He came second in a European Player of the Year awards. I also think it is stretching it a bit to say Hargreaves was an Englishman abroad. He was very much a Canadian when he played for Bayern.

Funny that I can't find any mention of Waddle coming second in the European Player of the Year Awards. :ffsparr: In 1993 he was Football Writers Footballer of the Year.

As for Hargreaves. Welsh mother. English Father. Born in Canada. Footballing education in Germany. 42 England caps. It's a very muddy puddle.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
As some think it is okay not to answer the question can I say Sherbert Pips closely followed by Rhubarb and Custard?

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Paul Scholes. I am sure I read somewhere that Zidane said he was his toughest opponent. Good enough for me.

David Beckham was a superb ambassador, but not a GREAT player. Just a very good one.

Ashley Cole runs Scholes close though.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Funny that I can't find any mention of Waddle coming second in the European Player of the Year Awards. :ffsparr: In 1993 he was Football Writers Footballer of the Year.

As for Hargreaves. Welsh mother. English Father. Born in Canada. Footballing education in Germany. 42 England caps. It's a very muddy puddle.

I do beg your pardon it was a more local title he came runner up in: "Waddle was also voted second best OM player of the century behind Jean Pierre Papin for the club's century anniversary in 1998."

But, this, plus 3 titles and a CL final with OM is a success in my mind.

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
I do beg your pardon it was a more local title he came runner up in: "Waddle was also voted second best OM player of the century behind Jean Pierre Papin for the club's century anniversary in 1998."

But, this, plus 3 titles and a CL final with OM is a success in my mind.

It's success no doubt. But my yard stick being McManaman and Hargreaves both won the CL. Beckham won 3 titles in 3 different foreign leagues.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
It's success no doubt. But my yard stick being McManaman and Hargreaves both won the CL. Beckham won 3 titles in 3 different foreign leagues.

May I remind you that Djimi Traore and Ivan Campo have CL medals and Stephane Guivarche and Bernard Diomede won world cup medals. Consistency over a long period of time is far more of a relevant yard stick imo.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here