Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best Enlish player since Gazza?

Who is the best English player since Gazza?

• Total voters

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
Interesting that many on the continent would suggest that Steve McManaman was the best of all the English export in some time! Thoughts?

He definitely didn't look out of place playing for Real Madrid with the like of Figo, Zidane and Raul. He must be the third most successful Englishman to have played abroad behind Beckham and Hargreaves.

theboybilly

I don't see what Scholes quitting international football has to do with it. Paul Sholes is a family man and was fed up with having to keep travelling abroad on top of his club's commitments. That was a very personal choice and I don't think he can be slated for it or even deducted 'points' in this poll.
The question was 'Best English Player', not 'Best England Player'

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
I think thats more a reflection on the lack of English or British players that have played overseas over the past twenty years. Off the top of my head:-

Platt, Gascoigne & Walker in Italy early nineties. Since then Ince, Beckham, Owen & McManaman have been the biggest names to ply there trade in foreign leagues. Hargreaves started his career abroad and was highly successful too.

Don't forget Lee Sharpe's spell at Sampdoria. :lolol:

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Of course best English player and best player for England are two very different things.

Best for England, Becks has to be up there as he always gave it 100%. But to say Becks is the best English player since Gazza is way off the mark, he was largely highly overrated in club football for his on field ability.

If you took performances for England out of it , Rooney is still probably the best English player since Gazza.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I conclude that I must watch a different England to most of you looking at the poll results, might explain why I find it so fecking painful almost every time I do as well :lolol:

Would we get a similar disparity if we had a poll of the best Brighton players since Lawrenson?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I conclude that I must watch a different England to most of you looking at the poll results, might explain why I find it so fecking painful almost every time I do as well :lolol:

Would we get a similar disparity if we had a poll of the best Brighton players since Lawrenson?

Bigger disparity as longer has gone, eg I could only really vote for players from within the last 15 years.

Del Boy

Oct 1, 2004
Has to be Beckham. He won numerous games pretty much on his own, something Scholes, Gerrard and Lampard have never achieved. Would have loved for Owen Hargreaves to have continued playing as he could have made this list.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I think thats more a reflection on the lack of English or British players that have played overseas over the past twenty years. Off the top of my head:-

Platt, Gascoigne & Walker in Italy early nineties. Since then Ince, Beckham, Owen & McManaman have been the biggest names to ply there trade in foreign leagues. Hargreaves started his career abroad and was highly successful too.

How could you forget Jonathan Woodgate and Jay Bothroyd?

Oct 25, 2003
Yep, he really was a special talent. Doubt we'll have a player like that again for a while.

he had the advantage of learning his trade abroad where he didn't get his talent kicked out of him at an early age (I guess because he wasn't REALLY English). We need more English players to move abroad at a young age

J2 DOG

Feb 28, 2009
Hove
Gazza has been the most influential England player in the last 30 years,no-one has come close! Look back at Italia 90 for proof! He was world class in his prime and would be one of the first names on my England all time team.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Beckham was great, but for consistency and keeping the supposed best wingers in the world quiet, Ashley Cole every time.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Gazza
Shearer
Cole
Scholes
Beckham
Rooney
Lampard

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports