Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best bit of drumming on a song

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
The opening of Where Eagles Dare by Nicko McBrain of Iron Maiden. Not forgetting he's the man who can barefooted make a single bass pedal sound like all the flash thrashers who have to rely on double bass drums. And he does play some seriously huge sexy kits.

And may I nominate Lars Ulrich as the most overrated rock drummer. .Metallica are a great band but he has also consistently proved to be a short arsed self adsorbed egotistical jerk

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
Most ASTOUNDING bit of drumming I ever did see was Blondie's Clem Burke at Hammersmith Odeon circa 1978 hit his snare drum, send his drumstick spinning about twenty foot straight up in the air and catch it on the way down without missing a beat. God-like GENIUS! :bowdown:

The drumming on Dreaming was outstanding and I believe broke the record for the most drum beats in a song at that time. Talking of Blondie, one of my funnier memories at the Goldstone was watching the North stand jig gently as a group whenever 'Tide is High' came on before a game!

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
There seem to be people liking different types of drumming on here....... Quelle surprise.

Being a quiet, subtle sort of chap myself, "listen to the Lion" by Van MOrrison off St Dominic's Preview. It's 11 minutes long, and the drumming is the late Connie Kay of the Modern Jazz Quartet. How can somebody make so little noise and dominate the whole thing.

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
Start of 'rock and roll'
By led Zeppelin is a bit good as a lot of drummers find it very hard to play, Dave Grohl has mastered it, but others struggle

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Could not pick out one but after considered thought -
Keith Moon on Amazing Journey from Tommy and his playing on Quadrophenia
Reni from The Stone Roses, Made in Stone but again anything from the first album.

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Most ASTOUNDING bit of drumming I ever did see was Blondie's Clem Burke at Hammersmith Odeon circa 1978 hit his snare drum, send his drumstick spinning about twenty foot straight up in the air and catch it on the way down without missing a beat. God-like GENIUS! :bowdown:

It's funny what people want from a drummer. I quite like them to be able to maintain a rhythm, something Clem was notorious for struggling with. He has got better over the years though :wink:

Can I put in a word for Max Weinberg (E-street Band). OK so it was miked up but when I saw him live with Bruce he got a mighty rock steady sound out of a kit about the same size as the average pub band's.

Locally does anyone recall Steve Boorer of the Sussex band "The Drivers" - very big in Canada briefly. One of those drummers (like Stewart Copeland) who seemed to keep the beat without actually playing on it.

rudolf hucker

Jul 26, 2009
Hove
Blimey. I thought I was the only one old enough to remember Iron Butterfly. Apologies to the youngsters but wasn't the flip side of the album just one track, about 20 mins Long? Used to listen to that LP over and over again. Album got nicked years ago and never replaced it. Might look on spotify, see if they have it. Thanks for reminding me

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Here's a shocker. I nominate Ringo for his neat, apposite drum solo on 'The End' on the end of Abbey Road.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Pretty much anything from Greg Saunier, of Deerhoof. Not sure what song this is.

[yt]g5c-UmlNvRc[/yt]

The best drummer in the world is Brian Viglione, now of Violent Femmes. This is him practising Girl Anachronism by the Dresden Dolls.

[yt]slRmQhAWszo[/yt]

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I went to see Fleetwood Mac and was surprised at the power of Mick Fleetwood's drumming seeing how old he is. I assumed there was some clever technology involved as he was not using wooden sticks - turns out they are aluminium. Does it make that much of a difference or was there some very clever amplification as well ?

PFJ

Not the JPF ..splitters !
Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
Ringo's drum solo after Boy Your Going to Carry That Weight on Abbey Road
Bill Ward's monstrous drumnming on War Pigs by Black Sabbath
Ian Paice on Black Knight for Deep Purple
Roger Taylor -We Will Rock You - Queen
Cozy Powell -Dance With The Devil
Philthy Animal Taylor - Overkill- Motorhead.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here