Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best bit of drumming on a song

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Very old drummer joke

How many drummers does it take to change a lightbulb ?
1 to do it and 3 to discuss how Steve Gadd would have done it

It's about the gaps :wink:

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
You weren't by any chance one of those who used to sing this out every time we got a corner at the Goldstone? Top of the chicken run.

Fame at last. That was me,along with my late brother (Veggie Postie Dave), Bob The Social Worker and little Dave. We even had hoodies made up with Inna-Gadda-Da-Vida on the back.

getz

Jan 15, 2010
Steve Gadd on "50 ways to leave your lover". Takes popular music drumming to another level.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I have always loved the drumming on "Do you know the way to san Jose" by Dionne Warwick.

Lovely understated jazz drumming. My wife and I agreed a couple of weeks ago that it is a major part of why both of us really like the record.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Ron Tutt drumming for Elvis on Suspicious Minds in 1970.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Brilliant, you kept that up for years, excellent entertainment, won't suggest you had a drum though!! I recognised a couple of you at Withdean, hair a bit shorter but then it happened to most of us.

Fame at last. That was me,along with my late brother (Veggie Postie Dave), Bob The Social Worker and little Dave. We even had hoodies made up with Inna-Gadda-Da-Vida on the back.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The bong, err song, I can't resist finger-drumming on the desk to is this one:

Most ASTOUNDING bit of drumming I ever did see was Blondie's Clem Burke at Hammersmith Odeon circa 1978 hit his snare drum, send his drumstick spinning about twenty foot straight up in the air and catch it on the way down without missing a beat. God-like GENIUS! :bowdown:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The Winstons' track, Amen Brother. if you havent heard of it, you'll recognise it especially at 1:26 in.

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland
Not on a song, but for drumming fans this video of a 12 year old Tony Royster Jr is well worth a look.

Holy crap! :ohmy:

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Phil Collins used to get loads of stick for whatever reasons, but fack me that bloke knows how to hit a drum.

Not a big Phil Collins fan but the bit where the drums crash in on "In the Air Tonight" is a bit of a spine tingle inductor!!

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland
If I'm not mistaken, the drumming on "In the air tonight" was a drum machine. Certainly read that somewhere anyway.

It is a drum machine for the bulk of the song, but they are acoustic drums that Surf's Up refers to that join in later in the song.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Well the bit I'm referring to certainly sounds like someone is thumping drums pretty hard, and I like it!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here