Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best Albion Comeback?

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Home to Bournemouth at The Goldstone.

3-1 down, before pulling it back to 3-3, and the North Stand rocking.

I know that one was on TV, so if it's not on Goldstone Rapper's site, there's a challenge for him to find it. :thumbsup:

Is that the Paul McCarthy last minute equaliser and Ian Chapman 80th minute thunderbolt?

Wasn't live on the box, but an amazing last 10 mins nonetheless, and indeed the North Stand exploded... a week or so either side of that we had a last minute winner from Kurt Nogan against Blackpool greeted equally as much. Those early Brady games were stunning to watch.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Is that the Paul McCarthy last minute equaliser and Ian Chapman 80th minute thunderbolt?

Wasn't live on the box, but an amazing last 10 mins nonetheless, and indeed the North Stand exploded... a week or so either side of that we had a last minute winner from Kurt Nogan against Blackpool greeted equally as much. Those early Brady games were stunning to watch.

I thought Chappers scored early doors and Matthew Edwards pulled the second one back for us before McCarthy completed the comeback.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
2-1 down at home to Newcastle with about 20 minutes to go, Kenny Dalglish was on a scouting mission as we were playing Liverpool at Anfield in the F.A. Cup on the saturday and decided to leave at this point :laugh:

Step up Brian Wade to score 3 goals to add to the one he got earlier, made Dalglish's trip a complete waste of time as we won 4-2.

We followed this up with a 2-2 draw at Anfield and if memory serves me correctly we were 2-0 down at half time, perhaps Dalglish would have known about the likelyhood of a comeback if he had stayed til the end :albion1:

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I thought Chappers scored early doors and Matthew Edwards pulled the second one back for us before McCarthy completed the comeback.

No Edwards put us 1-0 up early on.. they went 3-1 up, the ref got subbed and we then completed the comeback

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Oh yes. Quite right. My mind is playing tricks on me.

I seem to remember refs getting subbed more in those days. Presumably fitness levels have improved!

if not the competence!

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
One not mentioned sofar was Good Friday in the 71/72 promotion season.

A packed goldstone of some 27,000 saw Albion suffering from promotion nerves and 1-0 down to bottom club Torquay. then, with 8 mins to go, we got the breakthrough and won 3-1.

I remember a buglar sounding 'the charge' throughout the game.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I thought it was going to be Sheff Utd away in about 1987. 3-0 and looking completely gash, we kicked towards us for the 2nd half and we suddenly flying. 3-0 down became 4-3, only to lose it 5-4 in the last 15 minutes. They had Deane and Agana, while we had Bremner and Wood.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Should add Birmingham away around 97, 2-0 down, came back to lead 3-2, ended 3-3. How did the scoring go in the 4-3 defeat to Millwall. Seem to remember we came back from the dead and almost squared it up.

I was at that Birmingham game.. it was April 1995 I think. My mate had a fiver on us to win 3-2 (40/1), only for the sods to equalise in the last minute!

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
First game at the Goldstone August '77 against Millwall, 0-2 down at half time, came back and won 3-2. :albion1:

Think this was the game that Millwall fans wore ballaclavas and tried to climb into the Directors box in the West Stand.

This was also the season we just missed out on promotion due to the south coast club & spurs stitching us up on the last day. :tosser::tosser:

This was Aug 78, first home game of the season after winning that superb promotion in 76/77. Millwall fans, for some reason were by the tunnel in the south west terrace and wore surgical masks.....remember it like it was yesterday. 0-2 down, won 3-2.

Also....Liverpool at Anfield FA cup 4th round circa Feb 1991 ? Liverpool 2 up just after half time then a Mike Small penalty and John Byrne diving header sent 5,400 BHA supporters absolutely mad....was still one of the best away days i've had.

Another is during the playoff season of 90/91. Pompey at home, they went 2-0 up only to lose the game 3-2.

Jordy

Exiled Seagull
Dec 1, 2009
Liam Brady "If my granny had balls, she'd be my grandad"
:bowdown::bowdown:

Other than that remember the Liverpool game in 91, was my first season wathcing football and remember being at Priestfield for that Col U game, boxing day 97, immense comeback!!

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
One not mentioned sofar was Good Friday in the 71/72 promotion season.

A packed goldstone of some 27,000 saw Albion suffering from promotion nerves and 1-0 down to bottom club Torquay. then, with 8 mins to go, we got the breakthrough and won 3-1.

I remember a buglar sounding 'the charge' throughout the game.

I so recall that one FG, amazing end to the game

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
This was Aug 78, first home game of the season after winning that superb promotion in 76/77. Millwall fans, for some reason were by the tunnel in the south west terrace and wore surgical masks.....remember it like it was yesterday. 0-2 down, won 3-2.

Also....Liverpool at Anfield FA cup 4th round circa Feb 1991 ? Liverpool 2 up just after half time then a Mike Small penalty and John Byrne diving header sent 5,400 BHA supporters absolutely mad....was still one of the best away days i've had.

Another is during the playoff season of 90/91. Pompey at home, they went 2-0 up only to lose the game 3-2.

Yes to all of them

pintsawhiskey

Apr 17, 2010
bn1
Has to be THE DARK DAYS AT the Prestfield when we were ground shareing, cant remember who against, 3 nil down then drew 3-3, Jamie Moralley, got a hatrick!!

Comentator said he was opening a bottle of Champagne for every goal were scored, heard them poping on the tanoy!! classic game!!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here