Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best 5 sport films of all time

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Anyway how can this thread be on page 2 without mention of When We Were Kings.

The only reason I didn't mention it is because it's a documentary and not a film in the 'traditional' sense of the word.

If it's considered eligible though, I'm voting for it because it's bloody fantastic.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
This Sporting Life (thanks for that Leekbrook).
The Original Mean Machine (Called the Longest Yard in the US)
Field of Dreams
Any Given Sunday
And, although not a film but a TV series, Friday Night Lights which is being shown again currently in the wee small hours on ITV4. It's like The Last Picture Show but uses High School Football as a vehicle. It gives a really good insight into Middle America and frankly so underrated.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
And, although not a film but a TV series, Friday Night Lights which is being shown again currently in the wee small hours on ITV4. It's like The Last Picture Show but uses High School Football as a vehicle. It gives a really good insight into Middle America and frankly so underrated.

There is also a film by that name on the same subject.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
No-one's mentioned a 1970's film called "Rollerball" with James Caan. Although it was really an SF film, it's about the way they thought sport could go in the 21st Century.

Sadly with a lot of the Football and Olympics razzmattazz I think it could be eerily true.....:eek:

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
TV series, Friday Night Lights which is being shown again currently in the wee small hours on ITV4. It's like The Last Picture Show but uses High School Football as a vehicle. It gives a really good insight into Middle America and frankly so underrated.

The program (which I think is pretty shite) was based on the film which came out a couple of years before, and is AWESOME! It was based on a book written in the late 80's.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Friday Night Lights

Remember the Titans

Coach Carter

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
1) Rocky - all of them
2) Mike Bassett England Manager
3) Escape to Victory
4) Chariots of fire
5) Titanic (just for the deck hoops)

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Coach Carter is probably the worst film I've ever seen.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Caddyshack
The Hustler
Chariots Of Fire
Raging Bull
Rocky

"North Dallas Forty" - an American Football film starring Nick Nolte is also jolly good although it is ages since I saw it. It focuses on the unglamourous part of the game with fading players at the end of their careers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here