Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best 5 sport films of all time

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Can't believe no one has mentioned the Natural (Robert Redford) and only partly a sport film but Field of Dreams?

There was that American football film with Denzel Washington as a high school coach that was excellent and the film about the girl boxer that won an oscar.... could watch the last part it was so sad.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Another vote for Slapshot. Also Bull Durham. This Sporting Life, though it's at least as much about life Ooop North than sport per se. The 1994 documentary, which may have seen only limited release in the UK, Hoop Dreams.

Last edited:

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
I have very little time for American Football (none at all would be more accurate) and I think Dwane Johnson aka The Rock is a bell-end par excellence, but I have to confess to really enjoying 'Gridiron Gang'.

Other than that, Happy Gilmore and Escape to Victory.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Try this one. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• Richard-Harris-in-a-scene-001.jpg
    Richard-Harris-in-a-scene-001.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 93

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
when i was a kid i loved a football film called Yesterday's Hero, i havent seen it since but i bet id think its crap now :laugh:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Leekbrookgull and Rex C have it right: This Sporting Life is class, only Raging Bull matches it. There are a host of good boxing films: the original Rocky, The Great White Hope, Fat City (highly under-rated that one), Somewhere up There Likes Me, The Harder they Fall and I'm sure, many more. There's also a very funny Aussie film The Club and I also liked Slapshot. One of my other big faves is Breaking Away about a cycling mad American kid.

One thing that is strange is the paucity of decent films about cricket. This, along with boxing, is the number one sport as far as literature is concerned and yet can't deliver in the cinema. The only attempt I remember is a dreadful film called The Final Test.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Cos it's condescending and patronising, and plays to just about every vulgar stereotype, insulting the audience's intelligence every step of the way.

But other than that, it's still great, and I would venture to say the film that unite everyone (except you) on NSC.

Anyway how can this thread be on page 2 without mention of When We Were Kings.
Honourable mention to Seabiscuit.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
1. Cinderella Man
2. Field of Dreams
3. Rocky Balboa

Buffalo Seagull

Jun 1, 2006
Geelong, Vic, Australia
Leekbrookgull and Rex C have it right: This Sporting Life is class, only Raging Bull matches it. There are a host of good boxing films: the original Rocky, The Great White Hope, Fat City (highly under-rated that one), Somewhere up There Likes Me, The Harder they Fall and I'm sure, many more. There's also a very funny Aussie film The Club and I also liked Slapshot. One of my other big faves is Breaking Away about a cycling mad American kid.

One thing that is strange is the paucity of decent films about cricket. This, along with boxing, is the number one sport as far as literature is concerned and yet can't deliver in the cinema. The only attempt I remember is a dreadful film called The Final Test.

Breaking Away was one of my favourite movies as a kid - haven't seen it in years

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
1. Cinderella Man - the fact this has not had a single vote I assume no one has seen it
2. Field of Dreams - superb
3. Rocky Balboa - the best of the 6 imo
4. Cool Runnings - another braindead raicist here Alan
5. Seabiscuit - if you love the gg's you just got to love this

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Come on chaps Escape to Victory was fairly entertaining but was basically SHIT. Goal is a far far better footie film.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here