Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Beram Kayal

Saint Lennard

Prawn Sarnie Casual
Sep 30, 2004
Seafront shelters
I can't remember us having someone who is so much better than any other player. He has shown how much we have been lacking a team good enough to succeed. It'll be interesting to see how long he stays. Unless we are in the top six by Christmas he will be gone in January based on our history of holding on to players.

Geriatric Seagull

Nov 10, 2009
Littlehampton
I suggest Hughton sits down with him next week and asks him if he's got four or five mates with similar attitudes and abilities who might fancy coming to Brighton. That way we'd have at least half a team of triers!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We are not so good at saying no to other teams. Take a look at Watford today. Whilst we were offloading Ulloa last summer, they refused all offers for Troy Deeney.
Have Watford broken FFP rules, or used a dodgy loan to yourself system again? I agree that we need to be better at saying no, but the money for Ulloa was good and we should have been able to invest it to strengthen the squad. As it is we bodged it, but that doesn't mean we didn't hold for enough with Ulloa. With Elliott Bennett we agreed he could go at the end of the season, but I think we let him go too cheaply. I think we did ok with Bridcutt, I don't think he's that amazing. He was crucial for us while Gus was here, but I don't think he could do so well under another manager. Happy with the fee we got to be honest.

I'm sure the board realise that we're never going to get promoted if we sell every decent player as soon as another club is after them, and it's more sensible to agree to a sale only after a year, so we've got a chance to go up and bring new players in.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
He is light years ahead of his teammates. Let's see if the new Recruitment setup can repeat the success of their one permanent signing.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Have Watford broken FFP rules, or used a dodgy loan to yourself system again? I agree that we need to be better at saying no, but the money for Ulloa was good and we should have been able to invest it to strengthen the squad. As it is we bodged it, but that doesn't mean we didn't hold for enough with Ulloa. With Elliott Bennett we agreed he could go at the end of the season, but I think we let him go too cheaply. I think we did ok with Bridcutt, I don't think he's that amazing. He was crucial for us while Gus was here, but I don't think he could do so well under another manager. Happy with the fee we got to be honest.

I'm sure the board realise that we're never going to get promoted if we sell every decent player as soon as another club is after them, and it's more sensible to agree to a sale only after a year, so we've got a chance to go up and bring new players in.

Have to agree the money we got for our 'big' player sales was great, but:
(a) the proportion of the sale proceeds reinvested was far too low.
(b) the money was spent on relatively low quality players (and I'm being kind here).
In essence, an almighty ****-up by the club, compounded by hiring a clown of a manager, and then hanging on to said clown about 8 weeks too long <- ****-up number 2.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Have to agree the money we got for our 'big' player sales was great, but:
(a) the proportion of the sale proceeds reinvested was far too low.
(b) the money was spent on relatively low quality players (and I'm being kind here).
In essence, an almighty ****-up by the club, compounded by hiring a clown of a manager, and then hanging on to said clown about 8 weeks too long <- ****-up number 2.
a) we don't know what the finances have been like this season. Up until now, we've been losing the maximum allowed by FFP, so unless that changed this year, then all of the proceeds that could be reinvested, were.
b) Our recruitment went wrong, simple as that.
And it didn't work with our manager.

So in conclusion, a disaster, but not because we sell our players too quickly and too cheaply.

Gary1

Oct 25, 2013
Did anyone see his Kayal's reaction to conceding the first goal yesterday. He picked up the ball before whacking it into the North Stand,he was fuming. What a pity that the others don't show as much fight and passion and this is from a guy who's only been at the club a couple of months.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
a) we don't know what the finances have been like this season. Up until now, we've been losing the maximum allowed by FFP, so unless that changed this year, then all of the proceeds that could be reinvested, were.
b) Our recruitment went wrong, simple as that.
And it didn't work with our manager.

So in conclusion, a disaster, but not because we sell our players too quickly and too cheaply.

I think we are violently agreeing, except maybe the amount Tony coughed up for player acquisitions this season. About 20% simply not enough. Especially with the club spouting on about they didn't need to sell.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Did anyone see his Kayal's reaction to conceding the first goal yesterday. He picked up the ball before whacking it into the North Stand,he was fuming. What a pity that the others don't show as much fight and passion and this is from a guy who's only been at the club a couple of months.

I thought Greer's pass to Deeney for the first was excellent! ;-)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think we are violently agreeing
Speak for yourself, I was just agreeing :)
except maybe the amount Tony coughed up for player acquisitions this season. About 20% simply not enough.
What's the 20%? Is that the amount we spent on transfers, vs what came in? The problem is, when you make a couple of big sales, that effects the FFP finances for that season only, whereas spending big on new players has implications for every year of their contract, so it's not easy to spend what comes in.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I can't see him going anywhere - he's only just signed - it's rare someone moves on so quick. Chill.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I actually reckon he'll be staying until at least January to see if are making a decent go of it next season.

Very poor of the club though if we sell him this summer.

theyellowdinosaur

Nov 29, 2011
For me the way the club deal with Kayal this transfer window will show the intent they actually have for next season after almost destroying the hard work put in to get to two play-offs two seasons in a row. Unless we get an absolutely ridiculous offer for him AND we have a good enough replacement for him then we should say no to everyone. IMO kayal would walk into sides like Watford and Bournemouth and I think he would get in several prem teams. As Stephens will get fully up to match fitness over pre-season those two and Ince (who should be playing) will be a quality midfield. It's no good getting a good sum of money and then wasting it on sh*t players. As I said the club have to start showing some real ambition because another season like this one and they will lose thousands of STH's as people who have only recently started coming to games won't stick around if we're down the bottom.

Juror#13

Banned
Jan 14, 2015
He'll be gone in the summer. Barber says we won't stop any player leaving if they want to better themselves which begs the question, why do our players want to jump ship but other players at clubs like Watford don't?

Gary1

Oct 25, 2013
Only 26 too which is a massive thing for the future of the squad.

Hopefully he will be the senior pro in the team as I'm hoping that any signings we make are going to be younger players as wereally need to get the age of the team down. If we can sign younger and hungrier players and hold on to them then the team can develop together over the next couple of seasons which can only be a good thing.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Agreed.

There is no hope at all if we keep selling the decent players.

If that is the strategy, then we need to sign 18 excellent players at once, and hope we go up that season, because if not they will all be off.

It makes a mockery of this mad idea about building a team, and only going up 'when we are ready'.

Would players be less likely to sign for us if they thought that we would try to force them to stay and play Championship football should a Premier League club come knocking. It may be their only ever shot of guarenteeing that they get to play PL football by leaving us and taking that chance.

Who would stay here (or any other Championship level club if offered the chance to play in the top flight? A players career is short and no doubt they would all want to play at the highest level they possibly can in their career.

We are not the sort of club that can attract and keep top quality players (Man Utd, Chelsea, Real madrid, etc) so there will always be a lot of bigger and better placed clubs who will look at our players if they are being successful with us.

Maybe we have been too high profile with Poyet and the Amex move that it has highlighted the better players we had and meant that the probability of them being brought increased.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here