Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Ben's Grandad Has Passed Away

CPFC G

Dec 24, 2011
Was always entertaining with his zany views on Brighton and football in general but was always passionate and respectful.

RIP Old fella.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
This thread should take its rightful place in the NSC heavens alongside those threads honouring Robert (RMHP), Ed (Lord B), Jacob (Snoobs) and Matt.

They always feel so much more precious than NSC Gold, infinitely more significant than just another thread on the Big Board.

Although they have left us, the memories of BG and the others will continue to live on here.

NSC Immortal.

Amen.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Members who have read this thread: 1192

The above stats prove how much, when required, NSC is without doubt the best caring forum there is on the internet! It proves 100% what a B&HA family we really are, yes we disagree, yes we argue and fallout, but how much does this thread show how much we really do care...........I have read every post in this thread! for me thats rare......... but i'm sure many others have as well......massive respect for you Brian :thumbsup:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Was reading through this amazing thread again on the way home tonight and welling up a bit.....I lost my dad in November and couldn’t help but reflect on the similarities - also 76, frail through illness (kidney failure), basically IT illiterate but tried his best (I got a call most weeks about a ‘broken internet’, a printer not working, a locked ebay account, Tesco online shopping access and suchlike) and prone to completely random statements of the obvious about sport, cricket in particular (and he was a big fan of Trescothick). Like me he obviously never knew @BG, but I’m sure they would have got on. That makes me smile. Hope they bump into each other wherever they are now.......

IT illiterate parents are amusing. When my father first got a computer he rang up the help desk as the keyboard broke part way through set up....they pointed out the asterisks he was seeing in the password field were intentional. I then got an email from a Phil Havens which said “Hello it’s dad”.... our surname isn’t Havens. The predictive text kicked in when he was creating the email account and after numerous attempts to enter his surname, and repeatedly getting Havens, he just gave up and accepted it.

Henfield One

Aug 5, 2003
Sad indeed - if only rumours of BG's passing have been exaggerated!

Memories of Brian stretch back to the dark days of 1995/96, when any vaguely positive rumour spread like wildfire.

We will miss your postings Brian, but above all BHAFC have lost a truly loyal supporter. RIP and sincere condolences to the family. UTA.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Sad indeed - if only rumours of BG's passing have been exaggerated!

Memories of Brian stretch back to the dark days of 1995/96, when any vaguely positive rumour spread like wildfire.

We will miss your postings Brian, but above all BHAFC have lost a truly loyal supporter. RIP and sincere condolences to the family. UTA.

And if my memory serves me right he used to sit just a few rows directly in front of your PA box at Withdean, sometimes wandering up for a chat at HT with you, Atilla and anyone else who would listen

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
It is with great sadness that I have to announce my brother Brian Lisher, known to all as Ben's Grandad, passed away earlier today. Due to his number of posts and often controversial views I doubt if there is anyone on NSC who didn't know him. Brian always had an opinion, very often tongue in cheek, and never failed to get a reaction. He enjoyed the banter and would always give as good as he got. Despite some comments he never took anything personally and in return he never took a real dislike to anyone on here. Ian is arranging the funeral, I'm sure he will post information when it is available for people to pay their last respects. A fitting memory to Brian would be three points on Saturday and another season in the top flight.

Hoping this comes to fruition today for BG and all those other NSC’ers that have passed away.

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
Sad to read, condolences to the family. RIP BG

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Whether the club do anything or not, I will clap the old guy through the 76th minute. Don't care if he wouldn't have liked it, just makes it one last chance for a respectful wind up of an NSC legend.

I hope a good number will join in with your applause. I wonder if most of those around you will not have a clue what you are clapping for?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I hope a good number will join in with your applause. I wonder if most of those around you will not have a clue what you are clapping for?

Somehow appropriate :wink:

I'm joining in. Let's get 3 points for BG, it's what he would have wanted.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
There's a nice tribute in the matchday programme yesterday with a smiling photo of him too.

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
I'm sure I'm not the only one on here today finding it a bit strange that there's no BG contribution to the various threads emanating from yesterday's game. It's going to take a while to get used to.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here