Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Ben's Grandad Has Passed Away

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
RIP BG. Its strange that when I log onto NSC and look through OPs, if one is by BG I always seems to open it up first just to see if I can fathom out what's he is up to - either IT issues, rumours from his sons in a queue about the next player coming or who's playing full back. He was the joker of the pack in the nicest possible way and a legend on NSC. I hope his family and friends can look at the many plaudits on here and chuckle to themselves saying 'that's typical BG. RIP fellow Albion fan.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
His funniest posts were the rumours that he had heard in the queue for his halftime Bovril. Nobody else had heard any of these rumours, and they never came to pass, but, that never stopped him posting more.
Bless you, BG, sleep well.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I think you'll find it was never.

Patience and civility well beyond my capabilities. ???

Very true.

In one of the many threads about Webster and Stephens recently, in which we were usually poles apart opinion wise, he labeled my post as ‘Absolute rubbish.’ and I remember being quite surprised at BG being that strong! That’s about as insulting as he got even when he was getting huge stick from many for his slightly outlandish views/wind ups.

An absolute legend of this board for sure and he’ll be greatly missed.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Was reading through this amazing thread again on the way home tonight and welling up a bit.....I lost my dad in November and couldn’t help but reflect on the similarities - also 76, frail through illness (kidney failure), basically IT illiterate but tried his best (I got a call most weeks about a ‘broken internet’, a printer not working, a locked ebay account, Tesco online shopping access and suchlike) and prone to completely random statements of the obvious about sport, cricket in particular (and he was a big fan of Trescothick). Like me he obviously never knew @BG, but I’m sure they would have got on. That makes me smile. Hope they bump into each other wherever they are now.......

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I never really understood why he didn't flounce :flounce: at least once, given the amount of stick he took sometimes on here by some.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
This thread should take its rightful place in the NSC heavens alongside those threads honouring Robert (RMHP), Ed (Lord B), Jacob (Snoobs) and Matt.

They always feel so much more precious than NSC Gold, infinitely more significant than just another thread on the Big Board.

Although they have left us, the memories of BG and the others will continue to live on here.

NSC Immortal.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Was reading through this amazing thread again on the way home tonight and welling up a bit.....I lost my dad in November and couldn’t help but reflect on the similarities - also 76, frail through illness (kidney failure), basically IT illiterate but tried his best (I got a call most weeks about a ‘broken internet’, a printer not working, a locked ebay account, Tesco online shopping access and suchlike) and prone to completely random statements of the obvious about sport, cricket in particular (and he was a big fan of Trescothick). Like me he obviously never knew @BG, but I’m sure they would have got on. That makes me smile. Hope they bump into each other wherever they are now.......

https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news...roblems-without-murdering-them-20200221193718

Ken Livingstone Seagull

Aug 29, 2003
Maui, Hawaii
Will raise a strong mai tai is his direction later (sun not quite over the yardarm just yet). BG was a subject of footy (or IT) conversation occasionally all the way out here in Hawaii and as a youth referee, I never did look at left backs without thinking of BG at some point and smiling to myself. I still will.
:cheers:

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Just heard this terribly sad news.

The daft old duffer made me chuckle so many times. A true NSC legend; this place wont be the same again.

My sincere condolences to Ben, arfer and the rest of the family.

RIP BG

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Just checked NSC for the first time in a few days and am truly shocked by the sad passing of BG. While I rarely agreed with him it's always good to read other opinions and his opinions were always strong.
A true legend of NSC and our NSC family, you will be greatly missed. I hope you find a suitably message board on the other side that you can monopolies.
Thoughts are with family and friends.

Maximus

Jul 24, 2007
Brighton
Sad loss to this board.

Even now I was in another thread (knockaert) and my first thought was “I wonder what BG’s obscure view on this would be”. He’ll be missed. RIP Brian.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here