Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Benno

Stuart Munday

Jul 6, 2003
Saltdean
I'd be very very pleased with him. I think we should learn the lessons from B-Muff, Watford & Norwich who scored their way out of the championship. For me, that means playing 3-5-2 with wing backs. Elliot would make a superb right wing back for us! With Zamora & Baldock up front, who could stop us? Bring back the old boys!

Whilst I agree with what you say, there is absolutely no chance at all of Brighton playing 2 up front next season.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
With Zamora & Baldock up front, who could stop us? Bring back the old boys!

I heard a journo (Neil Ashton I think) say that Bobby is on SEVENTY GRAND-A-WEEK. That'd be one hell of a pay-cut to take to come back to Brighton, only to get slammed for not scoring 30 goals.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Whilst I agree with what you say, there is absolutely no chance at all of Brighton playing 2 up front next season.

Some teams play 3 up front, if the players are good enough to make it work. We'd only need to turn two or our generally pointless wingers into roaming strikers that alternate sides fluidly like Neymar, Messi and Suarez. Easy...

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Whilst I'm in the 'he wasn't the most impressive on loan' camp you've got to factor in his injury and lack of game time. Look at Carayol, didn't pull up any trees whilst he was here yet agreed a two-year deal with a side still (at the time) in with a good shout of premier league football for the next season. On song, Bennett would be a great signing for us. We're crying out for some quality on the wings and he'd fit the bill perfectly.

Not only was he not match fit but under the dumb Finn he spent most of his time covering at right back whilst Bruno or Calde occupied the right winger position :nono: so think we can safely ignore the loan spell.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I heard a journo (Neil Ashton I think) say that Bobby is on SEVENTY GRAND-A-WEEK. That'd be one hell of a pay-cut to take to come back to Brighton, only to get slammed for not scoring 30 goals.

Wasnt it reported in the press he is going to take a massive pay cut to join an MLS team so we can forget him But Bennett could be a possibility as he doesnt get in their Championship team so doesnt auger well for their rise back to the Premier League.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Wasnt it reported in the press he is going to take a massive pay cut to join an MLS team so we can forget him But Bennett could be a possibility as he doesnt get in their Championship team so doesnt auger well for their rise back to the Premier League.
The only time I've read about Zamora going to the MLS is in your posts on NSC.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I think a lot of people underestimate what an injury-free pre-season can do for a players form and fitness. If he was here all of pre-season he would be a much better player than we saw on loan this season. For the same reasons I think we may see much more of Holla after a full and proper pre-season with us.

Agreed, think Holla still has something to offer and hope he gets the chance.

Indifferent towards Benno signing up again. Looked a shadow of his former self when he came back on loan but maybe tying him down to a contract here would settle him down and we could get the best out of him again. Who knows.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
I'm assuming we must have fairly good information that he is surplus to requirements.

Might well be now they have gone up they will look to get rid, he started poorly on loan but I thought as his fitness improved he looked much better and put in a decent performance at Fulham.

Certainly the type of player we should be looking at, out of favour yet still young enough to be hungry.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I'm sure I remember reading E Bennetts' contract was up at Norwich? Can't see them offering him a new deal if true now they're up...

Obviously we'll be a good choice for him given his history and his Mrs etc...

If we could get the old Benno back it would be some bit of business...!

Benno?

Are you one of these guys?

hqdefault.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ah the reassuring hug of a comfort blanket, it's been a couple of weeks, NSC well done.

Yes lets abandon the possibility of signing any footballer that have never played for Brighton, and concentrate solely on the past.

If only there was a whole world of other talent out there to choose from.

Good to see Bobby getting a shout too.
Shirley it can't be long before Murray and Barnes get mentioned too, oh happy days.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Nothing wrong with discussing a player mentioned on the back page of the argus as a potential signing.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I'll never cease to be amazed at NSC's ability to write off a quality player based on a short loan spell in which said player was just coming back from a long and serious injury.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Nothing wrong with discussing a player mentioned on the back page of the argus as a potential signing.
There's everything wrong with it, starting with the fact the thread came before the headline.

But the signing of Bennett et al, should be a footnote in the Albion's transfer activity, along the lines of:-

'We signed Elliott as he was still available and everyone at the club knows what he's like'.

Not the pinnacle of our intent.

All this harking back to teams and managers from history is pointless.
We should be looking forward, excited about new stars, new hero's.
Or if you want to be cynical about it, new potential transfer profits.

NOBODY will be excited to see Bennett starting in August, esp not on the Kemyesque wage an average English footballer commands.

He should be complimenting our Summer signings of Maxime Bourgeois from Chateauroux and Auxerre's Amara Baby.
Or any one of the 10,000's other footballers out there, hungry to make a success in the bloated rotting cash carcass of English soccerball.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
There's everything wrong with it, starting with the fact the thread came before the headline.

But the signing of Bennett et al, should be a footnote in the Albion's transfer activity, along the lines of:-

'We signed Elliott as he was still available and everyone at the club knows what he's like'.

NOBODY will be excited to see Bennett starting in August, esp not on the Kemyesque wage an average English footballer commands.

He should be complimenting our Summer signings of Maxime Bourgeois from Chateauroux and Auxerre's Amara Baby.
Or any one of the 10,000's other footballers out there, hungry to make a success in the bloated rotting cash carcass of English soccerball.

I don't care if the heroes are new or old, the main thing is that we have at least someone attacking to get excited about.

Bennett was deemed good enough by Norwich to make their matchday squad for yesterday's final, so this would indicate he'd be good enough for us in a similar situation. And given we need to get in so many new bodies over the summer bringing in someone like Elliott who knows the club, the manager and the regime should be able to settle fast and provide some leadership in the new group.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

Strongly disagree.

There really is absolutely NOTHING wrong with discussing a potential player acquisition, particularly one that has made the last page of the argus.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I don't care if the heroes are new or old, the main thing is that we have at least someone attacking to get excited about.

Bennett was deemed good enough by Norwich to make their matchday squad for yesterday's final, so this would indicate he'd be good enough for us in a similar situation. And given we need to get in so many new bodies over the summer bringing in someone like Elliott who knows the club, the manager and the regime should be able to settle fast and provide some leadership in the new group.
That's all fine, and I agree to an extent as to his suitability.
Although I will say we already have plenty of players who know the club, the manager and the regime.

I'm irked by the narrow minded approach of NSC.
Just about every former player, still active, (even Orlandi) has had a ' let's resign...' thread.

Sure we're not going to sign Messi, or for that matter Ulloa, but on the other hand we as fans should be setting our sights a bit higher than Bennett, Zamora, Murray, Barnes, and the Sunderland turncoats.

It's like finding your parents Christmas present hiding place in November.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Strongly disagree.

There really is absolutely NOTHING wrong with discussing a potential player acquisition, particularly one that has made the last page of the argus.
As said he wasn't on the back page when yet another thread, about yet another former player was started on NSC.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
That's all fine, and I agree to an extent as to his suitability.
Although I will say we already have plenty of players who know the club, the manager and the regime.

I'm irked by the narrow minded approach of NSC.
Just about every former player, still active, (even Orlandi) has had a ' let's resign...' thread.

Sure we're not going to sign Messi, or for that matter Ulloa, but on the other hand we as fans should be setting our sights a bit higher than Bennett, Zamora, Murray, Barnes, and the Sunderland turncoats.

It's like finding your parents Christmas present hiding place in November.

I can tell you now that:

1. An Albion side including Bennett, Zamora, Murray, Barnes, Buckley and Bridcutt would almost certainly finish Top 6.
2. After the season we've just had 90% of fans would welcome them all back with open arms.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here