Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Bennett's Field no longer available - no parking season tickets

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
The trio that I have been a part of for the past few years sharing cars has now broken up as one is quite unwell and can't make games with the other relocating to Dorset and probably not making too many either.

Sounds like I will be getting the trusty CBR600 out. Can any of the NSC Biking community remind me of the parking arrangements at the Amex and if you can park your Crash Helmet somewhere? I'll get in & out a damn site quicker than car or train that is for sure...

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Bennett’s Field was absolute aggressive gridlocked mayhem when it was a 1901 Car Park. I was delighted to be moved to the University car Park. Saw so many confrontations with SUV drivers trying to bully other cars. Nasty

Being held for the buses for up to an hour before you could leave aggravated the situation

Sounds just like the Farm Shop parking - 'I've paid to park my BIG SUV VERY CLOSE to the ground and I WILL leave IMMEDIATELY'

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Where would the students put their cars on matchdays?

I would assume there would be limited parking for students, 200 spaces seems an unlikely requirement for students unless the accommodation block is for 1000

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Brighton Community buses run a shuttle and it has a lift on the back . It runs from the uni to the top of the stairs and she can get the lift down to the stadium level . The service is for anyone like your mum and caters for wheelchair users. It is free of course.

Do you know if it's done on a turn up and off you go basis, or whether I would need to book it pls?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Brighton has enough bloody students.
Time to think about the people that were born in Brighton and can't afford to live here.

The strategy is to build a student village in and around Preston Barracks (almost complete) and then aggressively and purposely remove HMO licenses from houses in and around Moulsecoomb, Bevendean, Hollingdean & Hanover in an effort to return them to family ownership and rebuild lost communities killed off by studentification.

Wealthy slum landlord scum will clearly lose out as their price-per-room money making schemes (including building conservatories as kitchen/lounges in order to make every other room a bedroom) are ended but it’s going to take real balls to make this happen at council level with the Tories probably fighting against it at every turn to protect their core support.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Bennett’s Field was absolute aggressive gridlocked mayhem when it was a 1901 Car Park. I was delighted to be moved to the University car Park. Saw so many confrontations with SUV drivers trying to bully other cars. Nasty

Being held for the buses for up to an hour before you could leave aggravated the situation

If it was not for 1901ers who has been using it

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
As suspected.

View attachment 139206

Would be a huge windfall gain if it comes off.

:lolol: :dunce: that caught a few. heresay from 2019. it'd take a couple of years for planning to go through, in which time you'd keep it in current use.

there is no planning application, at least not according to Falmer minutes.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
The landowner of Bennett's Field has triggered the break clause in the lease with the Albion. As a consequence, Bennett's Field is no longer available. We're being told that we'll have to use the Uni car park, with a shuttle service. Not an issue for me; could mean my mother can no longer attend games - no way she can do that walk (she can only just do the walk from Bennett'd Field on a good day). Will she get on the shuttle? Depends on how high the steps are, where we have to park in the uni vs where the pick up point is, etc etc.

Not good.

There’s a low step on the shuttle bus and a chair hoist on the back. They are used as disability transport day to day

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The strategy is to build a student village in and around Preston Barracks (almost complete) and then aggressively and purposely remove HMO licenses from houses in and around Moulsecoomb, Bevendean, Hollingdean & Hanover in an effort to return them to family ownership and rebuild lost communities killed off by studentification.

Wealthy slum landlord scum will clearly lose out as their price-per-room money making schemes (including building conservatories as kitchen/lounges in order to make every other room a bedroom) are ended but it’s going to take real balls to make this happen at council level with the Tories probably fighting against it at every turn to protect their core support.

One of the biggest problems is that it's easier to build for students. Any development of family homes meets immediate protests from local home-owners. In the last decade, we've seen objections to developments in Ovingdean, Benfield, the King Alfred's plan and in Hove. Where I live in Coldean, there's a development of supported housing that's met a chorus of complaints.

Most of these plans go through eventually (although not all do) but it ties up council resources.

As Hugo says, there's plenty of will to create family homes in Brighton but the residents aren't happy.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
Looking at aerial views of the carpark/field, the only conceivable place an access could be created would be the roundabout that is the A27 westbound on/off access. That strikes me as most unlikely to be agreed by Highways unless some serious skullduggary goes on.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Seeing as we couldn’t get PP for the hotel I would think it’s unlikely he would succeed.

The club couldn't get permission because the plans they submitted were for an absolute abomination.
It was a monstrosity of a plan that looked like a half loaded container ship.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado

Totally agree.
I live in Higher Bevendean , a five minute walk from the Barracks site.
My three bedroom mid terrace house is surrounded by student 'houses', all extended upwards/sideways and backwards into the gardens.
A landlord two doors away is charging over £2500.00 a month for what was a medium sized house that now has six bedrooms.
The sooner the students move out the better but I think the horse has bolted unfortunately.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Totally agree.
I live in Higher Bevendean , a five minute walk from the Barracks site.
My three bedroom mid terrace house is surrounded by student 'houses', all extended upwards/sideways and backwards into the gardens.
A landlord two doors away is charging over £2500.00 a month for what was a medium sized house that now has six bedrooms.
The sooner the students move out the better but I think the horse has bolted unfortunately.

This is very sad for those like you that want to live happily in a residential community. Unfortunately the student premium sends house prices soaring leaving more and more home owners cashing in. Who is going to buy a converted 6 bedroom house and convert it back to 6? The horse has well and truly bolted

Elbow750

Jun 21, 2020
The trio that I have been a part of for the past few years sharing cars has now broken up as one is quite unwell and can't make games with the other relocating to Dorset and probably not making too many either.

Sounds like I will be getting the trusty CBR600 out. Can any of the NSC Biking community remind me of the parking arrangements at the Amex and if you can park your Crash Helmet somewhere? I'll get in & out a damn site quicker than car or train that is for sure...

There is plenty of bike parking next to the Park & Ride drop off/ pick up and more on the upper level minibus/ coach bit. You can leave straight after the match and I've always been able to leave my crash helmet with the stewards at the turnstyle. Trevor on the West Upper (southern end) entrance is a star and lets me store it in the cleaners store.

You won't regret riding your bike to the Amex and will wonder why you didn't do it before :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here