Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bennett should have walked

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Think I phrased my comment badly. I agree that a player should be sent off for stopping a goal via handball- however should scoring a goal with the hand not also result in a red card?

Perhaps, yes. It's not something I see as a tremendous injustice if their attempts to cheat are caught and the goal chalked off, but I wouldn't oppose the change if it came in.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I don't think so. Vicente should have been booked for persistent diving, because in the end it just got laughable.
Deadman was just using common sense with Bennett, had he dived in the penalty area I'm sure he would have given a 2nd yellow, but outside the box is just harsh and a pathetic reason to send someone off.

I've never understood the logic in these incidents and others (fouls inside and outside penalty areas, etc.). If an offence carries a yellow card, regardless of where it occurs, the player should get a yellow card, whether said player has already received a yellow earlier in the game. That's where the game lets us down sometimes-if players knew they'd get a yellow card for diving it would stop the majority of them cheating. Our players included.

Marc1901

Peace out.
Apr 26, 2009
The Championship.
I thought the ref was ok (ish) yesterday, although he was lenient where some of the boro tackling was concerned.

HOWEVER... "Simulation" or whatever it's called these days is a bookable offence.

Bennetts blatant dive in the south east corner yesterday should have seen him booked and subsequently sent off for a second yellow.

I was chatting to some Boro fans after the game, who were right by it and they said they were shocked that he stayed on the pitch.

Exactly what I said yesterday. Maybe the ref just wanted to keep things even on the pitch like alot do but either way he should of walked.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
...and what should Barnes get for going down, then clutching his face claiming that he was elbowed?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
...and what should Barnes get for going down, then clutching his face claiming that he was elbowed?

Or Navarro, who was fine after a minute or so of lying on the floor holding his face. No-one cared, it didn't look like there was anyone near him.

He could have sent off Bennett, but what would have been the point? It was in injury time anyway.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Or Navarro, who was fine after a minute or so of lying on the floor holding his face. No-one cared, it didn't look like there was anyone near him.

This Navarro?

“[MENTION=13085]alan[/MENTION]navarro31: Mornin every1, I woke up this mornin feelin like I've been punched, but remember I took a nice 4 arm smash 2 the jaw, big week comin #bhafc”

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I've never understood the logic in these incidents and others (fouls inside and outside penalty areas, etc.). If an offence carries a yellow card, regardless of where it occurs, the player should get a yellow card, whether said player has already received a yellow earlier in the game. That's where the game lets us down sometimes-if players knew they'd get a yellow card for diving it would stop the majority of them cheating. Our players included.

Agreed. If he had been sent off, it would have been for committing two yellow card offences in on match NOT a red card for the second offence. Really annoys me when people say "alright, that's an offence, and by the letter of the law he has to be booked, but show some common sense, he shouldn't be sent off for that!".

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
This Navarro?

I know there are rules about stopping play if a footballer is hit on the head, but the soccerballerists need to grow some balls. If one is not damaged then carry on playing. He was able to see out the match and didn't stagger off the pitch, but he was lying on the ground with play continuing in a perilous situation.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Was obvious the ref didn't want to send anyone off, I wasn't totally sure if it was Bennett being on the other side of the pitch but whoever it was should clearly have been booked for the dive, but since Nicky Bailey had managed to stay on the pitch to that point, it was clear the ref wasn't going to book anyone twice.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Picture? Certainly seemed at the time that he went over far too easily and just got up after a while, when it was obvious the ball was going nowhere. If I'm wrong, fair enough.

Who was it involved in the incident? Was it that Smallwood again? He seemed a dirty piece of work, very out of keeping with the rest of the Middlesbrough team.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
I thought it was Robson that took out Navarro. Great player at this level but you can see why he picks up so many bookings as he was leaving his foot or arm in on most challenges.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Are you sure they weren't talking about Vicente?

Vicente wasn't on a yellow. Big difference.

The ref bottled it cos they don't like giving 2nd yellows for dives - simple.

Thought the ref was poor yest and frustrating.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

He could have sent off Bennett, but what would have been the point? It was in injury time anyway.

Didn't think that dive incident was injury time? Could be wrong tho.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Didn't think that dive incident was injury time? Could be wrong tho.

I might be wrong, but it was right at the very end if not in injury time. Either way, pretty pathetic dive and he couldn't have argued had he been shown a second yellow.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here