Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bennett should have walked

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
I thought the ref was ok (ish) yesterday, although he was lenient where some of the boro tackling was concerned.

HOWEVER... "Simulation" or whatever it's called these days is a bookable offence.

Bennetts blatant dive in the south east corner yesterday should have seen him booked and subsequently sent off for a second yellow.

I was chatting to some Boro fans after the game, who were right by it and they said they were shocked that he stayed on the pitch.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Are you sure they weren't talking about Vicente?

He doesn't dive, he (occasionally) glides towards the earth like a gilded swan.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Have you noticed that when his body hits the turf, there is no sound.

That's because god loves him and alters the laws of gravity to ensure that any injury is limited to his hair.

brightonlass2009

Sports sports sports!
I don't think so. Vicente should have been booked for persistent diving, because in the end it just got laughable.
Deadman was just using common sense with Bennett, had he dived in the penalty area I'm sure he would have given a 2nd yellow, but outside the box is just harsh and a pathetic reason to send someone off.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
What about Arca for his deliberate handball? could have been a straight red.

You only get a straight red for deliberate handling if you are trying to stop a goal being scored. If you're trying to score a goal, deliberate handling is only a yellow.

lighthouse

Feb 27, 2008
north hampshire
I do feel a sense of relief about the match. When the ref with the highest yellow/red card stats officiates the team with the highest yellow/red card stats, I feared carnage. Thankfully it was Boro that attracted his interest more than us!

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
You only get a straight red for deliberate handling if you are trying to stop a goal being scored. If you're trying to score a goal, deliberate handling is only a yellow.

I've never understood this. Why should trying to prevent a goal being scored with your hand receive a higher punishment than trying to score a goal with your hand? The result is the same ie your team is either +/- 1 goal.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I've never understood this. Why should trying to prevent a goal being scored with your hand receive a higher punishment than trying to score a goal with your hand? The result is the same ie your team is either +/- 1 goal.

I have two schools of thought on this:

1) there is a bias towards more goals in football. Goals are exciting, and the more the merrier so we shouldn't punish people trying to sneak one, but should come down heavy on anyone who tries to stop them

2) Stopping a goal results in a penalty that could be saved or missed. A certain goal can be avoided, and the offending team not really punished for it, yet benefiting from the offence. If they prevent the goal with a handball, and then no goal results from the penalty, the offending team are still punished because they are now down a man giving the opposing team an advantage in getting a goal to replace the one stolen from them. If you try to score with a deliberate handball and get caught, the goal is chalked off and your team isn't any better off for the offence, and your opponents are no worse off.

My Name Is Gully

May 9, 2008
Dorset
He doesn't dive, he (occasionally) glides towards the earth like a gilded swan.

Nicely put !

I wondered where my rose tinted glasses went - can I have them back please?

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
I don't think so. Vicente should have been booked for persistent diving, because in the end it just got laughable.
Deadman was just using common sense with Bennett, had he dived in the penalty area I'm sure he would have given a 2nd yellow, but outside the box is just harsh and a pathetic reason to send someone off.

have to agree, Vicente became embarassing in the end.

brightonlass2009

Sports sports sports!

Because if you're trying to prevent a goal then you're denying an obvious goal scoring opportunity which is a red no matter the circumstances

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
I have two schools of thought on this:

1) there is a bias towards more goals in football. Goals are exciting, and the more the merrier so we shouldn't punish people trying to sneak one, but should come down heavy on anyone who tries to stop them

2) Stopping a goal results in a penalty that could be saved or missed. A certain goal can be avoided, and the offending team not really punished for it, yet benefiting from the offence. If they prevent the goal with a handball, and then no goal results from the penalty, the offending team are still punished because they are now down a man giving the opposing team an advantage in getting a goal to replace the one stolen from them. If you try to score with a deliberate handball and get caught, the goal is chalked off and your team isn't any better off for the offence, and your opponents are no worse off.

Because if you're trying to prevent a goal then you're denying an obvious goal scoring opportunity which is a red no matter the circumstances

If you score with the hand, the ref can disallow the goal. If you prevent a goal with your hand, the ref can't just give a goal.

Think I phrased my comment badly. I agree that a player should be sent off for stopping a goal via handball- however should scoring a goal with the hand not also result in a red card?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
There was one incident in the northwest corner where Vicente was grabbed by the shoulders and pulled back. We got nothing for it. Peraps because he was going down so easily elsewhere on the pitch.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here