Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bennett bid accepted?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
understood does not mean anything journalistically other than I think....., I heard a rumour...etc

There are certain people on Nsc who tell us that things are happening when it is certain. After a while it is possible to sort out the nonsense from fact.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Don't understand really - Norwich are signing League one and Championship players...they aren't the same quality as Premiership players, so wouldn't be surprised if they come back down (Would BEnnett prefer to sit on the bench for a team in the relegation zone, or be celebrated by starting every match in a team hoping for play-offs in the Championship?)

These are exactly my thoughts on the matter. I can understand why Bennett would want to go to Norwich for the money and Premiership football, but I'm struggling to understand why Norwich covet an unproven player at Championship level, not even Premiership.

Anyway, I reckon this'll be a huge loss for us, even if we do sign Buckley. Looks like we're taking steps back at the moment.

Good luck to Benno though if it's true.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
The chance to play in the prem......no brain er ! If we get the right deal for him and can invest in better players.....no brain er ! Despite rumours we are not a big club in this league , if we can establish ourselves in the championship and remain in business then that will be a measure of success .

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
These are exactly my thoughts on the matter. I can understand why Bennett would want to go to Norwich for the money and Premiership football, but I'm struggling to understand why Norwich covet an unproven player at Championship level, not even Premiership.

Anyway, I reckon this'll be a huge loss for us, even if we do sign Buckley. Looks like we're taking steps back at the moment.

Good luck to Benno though if it's true.

Lambert has proved himself very astute in the transfer market but having bought Crofts and now Bennett who I don't see playing a big part in a Premiership team, I actually hope it all goes tits up for them in the Premier league. At least if we have a half decent season he won't be coming back for our best players next year to make it a hatrick of poaches..

Exiled in Exeter

Jul 16, 2003
W3D
I think Bozza has his finger on the pulse. While I cannot find the threads, didn’t he effectively break the news that we were signing Ankergren (resurrecting a dead thread the day before Ankergren signed) and Chris Wood (World Cup star to sign on loan)?

Therefore, while I do not want to believe Bennett is a done deal; I am inclined to believe it.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Lambert has proved himself very astute in the transfer market but having bought Crofts and now Bennett who I don't see playing a big part in a Premiership team, I actually hope it all goes tits up for them in the Premier league. At least if we have a half decent season he won't be coming back for our best players next year to make it a hatrick of poaches..

Rather ungracious of you to say you hope it all goes "tits" up for them. Norwich, like Swansea, are well run clubs who live within their means, play good football and are both clubs for us to try to emulate. I'm disappointed to lose Bennett, he's our best player. But Paul Lambert is doing what so many Premiership managers should do but don't: buying British talent from the lower leagues and giving them a chance in the top division. That's got to be a good thing hasn't it? So good luck to Norwich. I just hope we get a proper fee for Bennett unlike the one we got for Crofts.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
understood does not mean anything journalistically other than I think....., I heard a rumour...etc

No. It generally means that someone has confirmed something but won't go on record with it.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Rather ungracious of you to say you hope it all goes "tits" up for them. .

Yeah I know, but i can't help how I feel. You are just guessing when you say Lambert is doing the right thing. Buying lower league players has a very good chance of putting Norwich in contention for the lowest ever Premier League points total imo. Buying from the division he was leaving worked in the Championship, it is unlikely to work in the top division imo. The gap is massively bigger.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I think Bozza has his finger on the pulse. While I cannot find the threads, didn’t he effectively break the news that we were signing Ankergren (resurrecting a dead thread the day before Ankergren signed) and Chris Wood (World Cup star to sign on loan)?

Therefore, while I do not want to believe Bennett is a done deal; I am inclined to believe it.

Why didn't we do a Wenger with Fabregas...... tell him to give us 1 more year. He will be the jewell in our team and not a bench warmer.

We've taken two steps backwards since coming up by losing our 2 best players and it's immensly frustrating.

We are buying other players (albeit with potential) just to stand still, Since we have won promotion, so far our squad is depleted, though thankfully its early June so there is still time.

Reading the Argus thread it seems Gus is not actively involved in getting the players in, its the John Stephenson guy from Watford that is doing all the wheeling and deeling. Gus just drew up a list of targets and he is doing the dealing.

One commenter on Argus said "he is Blooms appointment and Gus was not happy".

So right now, it seems there is no "In Gus we trust" until the season starts.

In this transfer market free for all its comes down to our contracts and liason officer to do the business and not Gus, by all accounts

"In John Stephenson we trust" anybody?

Last edited:

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
All seems a bit rich to chastise Norwich for making offers on an "unproven" player. Granted, Bennett has made his name in the third tier but he made mincemeat of it. Everybody starts somewhere. Lambert sees something he thinks may work in the Premiership. It's a shame for us as he will be hard to replace if it happens.

However, you can't tell me that Gus hasn't seen this coming (most of us have after all). He'll be trying to get as good a fee as possible and doubtless already has a pretty good idea of where to spend it.

As ever...in Gus we trust!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here