Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bennett bid accepted?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
You reference an Argus article that says both clubs not confirming anything. You also mention £18000 a week.
May I ask where that figure has come from ?

The clubs won't confirm anything unless the deal is nearly done, that is the way they operate, and they tend to get it right.

The £18k a week came from our journo insider, who has been on the money so far with his posts, so suspect he is calling it right again. There will be a relegation clause in the contract, and it is less than the average salary in the Prem of £28,000 a week.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Ah yes I remember speaking to you exactly about that. Oh wait, Ive never spoken to you before :jester:

I write a blog for Sky Sports because I was asked to, so I thought I'd give it a crack - I dont get paid. I do it because I think it is FUN, and I generally get good feedback, so keep doing them.

I dont pretend to be a journalist. I dont even want to be a journalist, so Im not sure where you have got that from. Although I admit, I do like writing, even if Im not perfect at it, but thats why I do the blog. Its not meant to be a professional thing, and I admit it is far from it.

Brett, ignore him, your blog is excellent.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Are we waiting to finalise the Buckley deal before making the announcement?

If I worked at the Albion, I'd know exactly how fans will react when they get confirmation that Bennett is departing so soon after the loss of Murray. There are rational reasons behind both, of course, but many can't see that. And even for those that can, there are tinges of disappointment as we enter our exciting new phase.

So, I'd ensure that when the loss of Bennett is announced it is accompanied by the news of at least 1, but probably 2, signings. Or if not accompanied, the announcements will be as close as can be managed.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I'd have rather a wantaway Murray signed a new one-year deal in January, even with an agreement he could go. We would have got £750,000 for him.

Yup, that would certainly be better for the club, but why would Glenn do that? Playing Devil's advocate, by not signing a contract in January it has allowed him to negotiate a big signing on fee and a higher salary for himself.

We have had players on contracts other than Murray where we have lost money, Craig Davies cost us £150,000 and had his contract cancelled, Holroyd was £60,000, and Liam Dickinson (although we managed to mug Barnsley for a fee) also was sold at a big loss, and between them they scored 4 goals for the club. At least Murray made a major contribution to us being promoted, which is worth £4m in increased revenues for the forthcoming season.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
So, for something to have happened it has to be reported?

No report = hasn't happened?

There are many things that happen without being reported, like my neighbours cat being run over for example, however, I would expect to see something from official sources regarding this matter. There was plenty of official communication in January when bids were flying about.

So, until official = still a rumour

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
There are many things that happen without being reported, like my neighbours cat being run over for example, however, I would expect to see something from official sources regarding this matter. There was plenty of official communication in January when bids were flying about.

It is fact.

Hove Seagull

Feb 18, 2008
Havant

It's in the Argus, so it must be true!

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
It is fact.

I don't disbelieve you, there is plenty of gossip about this.

I do not have access to local gossip and don't have inside sources.

All I have is the rumour mills of the interweb, none of which are official sources.

So I will live in hope and total denial until someone official puts me out of my misery.

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
Have to say despite the fact it was inevitable he'd be moving on this summer i'm gutted we're losing him. I said in the past he could do as well as Zamora has & i hope this is the case.
Norwich have got a fantastic player & i hope he storms the Premier League.

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
If I worked at the Albion, I'd know exactly how fans will react when they get confirmation that Bennett is departing so soon after the loss of Murray. There are rational reasons behind both, of course, but many can't see that. And even for those that can, there are tinges of disappointment as we enter our exciting new phase.

So, I'd ensure that when the loss of Bennett is announced it is accompanied by the news of at least 1, but probably 2, signings. Or if not accompanied, the announcements will be as close as can be managed.

you know something most people do not obviously

go on spill the beans

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean

I think that's spot on. Its how the Murray/Hoskins transfer went through. Another bitter sweet moment, brought to you from The Albion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here