Bennett bid accepted?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
Is this still just a rumour ?

Is there anything of substance from anyone official on this matter ?

Well back page of the Argus has it large with quotes from Gus saying don't worry, were going to bring players in and saying deal with Norwich is just awaiting personal terms to be agreed by Benno

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
Let's stop panicking here. Yes it's a blow losing Benno and Murray but that's the reality of football I am afraid. Money talks. We have replaced with quality in Hoskins and Buckley (my mate who is a Watford STH tells me he is absolute class) and Gus will bring in at least another 5-7 players of championship quality.

Best young manager outside the Prem, brand new stadium, 18,500 ST sold. Come on times are great!!

Altogether now GOSBTS!!!!!!!

have we signed buckley then

Sam Ovett

The New Manager Bus
Right, so Norwich are signing Johnson, and potentially Snodgrass...I can't see Bennett getting a game there to be honest, except maybe in the cup. To be fair, nothing is official, so it could be rubbish.

EDIT: Didn't see the argus ffs

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Is this still just a rumour ?

Is there anything of substance from anyone official on this matter ?

Well back page of the Argus has it large with quotes from Gus saying don't worry, were going to bring players in and saying deal with Norwich is just awaiting personal terms to be agreed by Benno

Thank you for that. I only have access to the online version of the Argus and as posted this morning....

'The Seagulls are understood to have agreed a deal with Norwich for the highly-rated playmaker or winger, having rebuffed the Canaries’ attempts to sign him in January.

Neither club was willing to confirm the development last night.'

Poyet stays cool as Norwich close on Bennett From The Argus)

This could have implied nothing official, just more rumour and hearsay, we live in hope.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/albion/9065940.Poyet_stays_cool_as_Norwich_close_on_Bennett/

If Norwich are offering Bennett £18,000 a week and the chance to play in the Prem he will take the offer.

It does seem strange that he signed a new four year contract in November, and then within a couple of months put in a transfer request, but tha' football.

I think we will miss Murray more, despite the revisionists about his contribution, he was a complete striker IMO, and led the line well. With more composure, and the ability to take a penalty he would have had 30 last season.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Will be a big shame if he goes but whatever happens I still have 100% confidence that we'll end up with a squad capable of competing in the Championship next season.

Sam Ovett

The New Manager Bus
Don't understand really - Norwich are signing League one and Championship players...they aren't the same quality as Premiership players, so wouldn't be surprised if they come back down (Would BEnnett prefer to sit on the bench for a team in the relegation zone, or be celebrated by starting every match in a team hoping for play-offs in the Championship?)

Money will most probably talk though :(

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I dont think its fair to say we've got shot of them as if we've flogged them to nobody for nothing. Murray asked for too much, he had to go. Bennett had the chance to play in the Prem, he was always going to go. Out of those three teams, how many players did they have who wanted to triple their wages or whatever, and the manager didnt agree to it? How many of them had offers to play in the Prem? Off the top of my head I can only think of Beckford, while Leeds also lost Delph the year before as well. Neither Norwich or Millwall had players that were deemed Premiership quality. As gutting as it is, we should be pleased for Benno, he's been a top top player for us and helped get us up this season, but this is football, Norwich clearly have bucket loads to splash and he's going to be playing, well maybe, in the best league in the world.

Completely get your point that it as dampened things slightly, but Murray's been a douche and think we can excuse Benno. Whatever happens we wont be struggling next year I dont think.

You make good points and I wouldn't want us to keep Bennett against his will and I do wish him well. I guess it's just galling to be losing players and having to replace before we start to improve. I think Bennett would have been a massive asset next season, let's hope his replacement doesn't disappoint. He'll need to be bloody good not to.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/albion/9065940.Poyet_stays_cool_as_Norwich_close_on_Bennett/

If Norwich are offering Bennett £18,000 a week and the chance to play in the Prem he will take the offer.

It does seem strange that he signed a new four year contract in November, and then within a couple of months put in a transfer request, but tha' football.

I think we will miss Murray more, despite the revisionists about his contribution, he was a complete striker IMO, and led the line well. With more composure, and the ability to take a penalty he would have had 30 last season.

Agreed, they are both big losses, for sure. All I would say on the Bennett thing, is that if anything many fans feel more cheated if you let your contract run out, then go to some rival, and the club don't even get any money in compensation. I'd have rather a wantaway Murray signed a new one-year deal in January, even with an agreement he could go. We would have got £750,000 for him.

For Brighton, and that's all I care about, if they're going to go anyway, I'd rather they signed a longer deal and then went, we get more back (although I'd still have expected more than the fees being talked about for Bennett).

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
You make good points and I wouldn't want us to keep Bennett against his will and I do wish him well. I guess it's just galling to be losing players and having to replace before we start to improve. I think Bennett would have been a massive asset next season, let's hope his replacement doesn't disappoint. He'll need to be bloody good not to.

I agree with you, since winning the league at Walsall it's all been a bit downhill. If we had kept EB and Muzza , and added to the squad I think we could have been top half of table. As it is we are running to stand still be signing Hoskins and (hopefully) Buckley. KLL will be great to watch, but suspect he could be a luxury in some games where we have to scrap a bit more.

At least compared to 2002 and 2004 we do have a transfer budget which will allow us to have a reasonable chance of survival, and build from there.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I will be disappointed if Lua Lua is seen as the natural replacement for Elliott Bennet as he is not in the same class or the same type of player and would not replace him. If Bennett is only worth £1m that puts Lua Lua value at about £500k tops.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Looks to me like a re-hashed Mendoza blog based on nothing more than many peoples' assumptions that it seems inevitable that Buckley is the new Bennett. Take it with a pinch of salt rather than as some authorative statement which I am pretty sure it is not. Remember Mendoza likes to think he is a journalist and sometimes he gets carried away with the story and just a tad confused between fact and fiction.

Ah yes I remember speaking to you exactly about that. Oh wait, Ive never spoken to you before :jester:

I write a blog for Sky Sports because I was asked to, so I thought I'd give it a crack - I dont get paid. I do it because I think it is FUN, and I generally get good feedback, so keep doing them.

I dont pretend to be a journalist. I dont even want to be a journalist, so Im not sure where you have got that from. Although I admit, I do like writing, even if Im not perfect at it, but thats why I do the blog. Its not meant to be a professional thing, and I admit it is far from it.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
You reference an Argus article that says both clubs not confirming anything. You also mention £18000 a week.
May I ask where that figure has come from ?

Let's wait and see. But if it is £18K per week, he's not going to turn his nose up at that. And a chance to play in the Premier League. He's not a Premier League player yet, though, so I think he may be jumping ship too soon, if he does go. Ho hum.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports