Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bennett bid accepted?

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Bennett will be warming the Norwich bench in the prem - fact. I am sure he will make the step up but what turned Bennett's head initially was exactly the same as Murray - money. The wage increase he will get is substantial. If we get a decent fee for him £1.5m+, I would say good luck to him.

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea
Selling our best players on the back of promotion, good 1, I dont remember Norwich doing that and were told top 6 was a target (I would be happy to just stay up).
If he wants to go, fine, f*** him, dont drag it out. But £1mill, is that a fuckin joke?

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Let's stop panicking here. Yes it's a blow losing Benno and Murray but that's the reality of football I am afraid. Money talks. We have replaced with quality in Hoskins and Buckley (my mate who is a Watford STH tells me he is absolute class) and Gus will bring in at least another 5-7 players of championship quality.

Best young manager outside the Prem, brand new stadium, 18,500 ST sold. Come on times are great!!

Altogether now GOSBTS!!!!!!!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
How many of their best players did Norwich Leeds and Millwall get shot of after getting promoted last season? I have no idea but I bet none of them got shot of their best two players. It may turn out OK but I find it a bit depressing on the back of such a great season and a sold out Falmer to look forward to.

I'm not suggesting that we should have tried harder to keep them but I thought getting promoted and with Falmer opening pleyers may have actually wanted to buy into the Gus/Bloom dream.

Last edited:

CAPTAIN GREALISH

Jan 6, 2010
Let's stop panicking here. Yes it's a blow losing Benno and Murray but that's the reality of football I am afraid. Money talks. We have replaced with quality in Hoskins and Buckley (my mate who is a Watford STH tells me he is absolute class) and Gus will bring in at least another 5-7 players of championship quality.

Best young manager outside the Prem, brand new stadium, 18,500 ST sold. Come on times are great!!

Alt ogether now GOSBTS!!!!!!!
correct but still would love benno to stay

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
How many of their best players did Norwich Leeds and Millwall get shot of after getting promoted last season? I have no idea but I bet none of them got shot of their best two players. It may turn out OK but I find it a bit depressing on the back of such a great season and a sold out Falmer to look forward to

I dont think its fair to say we've got shot of them as if we've flogged them to nobody for nothing. Murray asked for too much, he had to go. Bennett had the chance to play in the Prem, he was always going to go. Out of those three teams, how many players did they have who wanted to triple their wages or whatever, and the manager didnt agree to it? How many of them had offers to play in the Prem? Off the top of my head I can only think of Beckford, while Leeds also lost Delph the year before as well. Neither Norwich or Millwall had players that were deemed Premiership quality. As gutting as it is, we should be pleased for Benno, he's been a top top player for us and helped get us up this season, but this is football, Norwich clearly have bucket loads to splash and he's going to be playing, well maybe, in the best league in the world.

Completely get your point that it as dampened things slightly, but Murray's been a douche and think we can excuse Benno. Whatever happens we wont be struggling next year I dont think.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
How many of their best players did Norwich Leeds and Millwall get shot of after getting promoted last season? I have no idea but I bet none of them got shot of their best two players. It may turn out OK but I find it a bit depressing on the back of such a great season and a sold out Falmer to look forward to.

I'm not suggesting that we should have tried harder to keep them but I thought getting promoted and with Falmer opening pleyers may have actually wanted to buy into the Gus/Bloom dream.

Who's to say we won't replace with players of similar quality or better??

The fact of the matter is, if a player wants to leave (and clearly both Murray and Bennett did) I would much rather sell and replace than have a moody, sulky player in the squad.

mike79

Sep 28, 2005
Bournemouth

i don't think any of us, leeds or millwall had a player wanted by the prem. well apart from beckford and he was a free agent. even now we don't really have anybody wanted by other prem clubs. there was the odd rumour of holt and martin interesting wba and blackburn but that was it.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
i don't think any of us, leeds or millwall had a player wanted by the prem. well apart from beckford and he was a free agent. even now we don't really have anybody wanted by other prem clubs. there was the odd rumour of holt and martin interesting wba and blackburn but that was it.

With the exception of CMS, Bennett is the only League 1 player from last season good enough for the Prem. As Mike 79 rightly points out. Norwich didn't sell any of their team last season because bids were not received.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Murray and Bennett are completely different, one moving up a level and one moving down.

Murray was Gus making the best of a situation that he inherited. He is not a Gus type player (both football wise and mentally) and is akin to Barcelona playing with Kevin Davies as their 'target man'. He will never have another season like the last one and he was only going to be on the bench next year.

Bennett is an excellent Gus type player who would have been good for us this year, but he has earned a chance at the next level through his ability and consistency. It will be a shame if he goes (and i'm still hoping he won't) but i would expect Gus and Tony to be lining up replacements already.

If he goes, it will be a bit of a disappointment but i am still more excited about next season than any in the last 45 years.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I dont think its fair to say we've got shot of them as if we've flogged them to nobody for nothing. Murray asked for too much, he had to go. Bennett had the chance to play in the Prem, he was always going to go. Out of those three teams, how many players did they have who wanted to triple their wages or whatever, and the manager didnt agree to it? How many of them had offers to play in the Prem? Off the top of my head I can only think of Beckford, while Leeds also lost Delph the year before as well. Neither Norwich or Millwall had players that were deemed Premiership quality. As gutting as it is, we should be pleased for Benno, he's been a top top player for us and helped get us up this season, but this is football, Norwich clearly have bucket loads to splash and he's going to be playing, well maybe, in the best league in the world.

Completely get your point that it as dampened things slightly, but Murray's been a douche and think we can excuse Benno. Whatever happens we wont be struggling next year I dont think.

Top post Sir! Whilst I am pissed off at losing them both, I completely agree with whatever stance was taken by the club over Murrays financial demands, and can understand EB leaving to join a Premiership club. Both loses are particularly galling, but I understand them.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Is this still just a rumour ?

Is there anything of substance from anyone official on this matter ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here