Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bennett bid accepted?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I'd be well pissed if it was for £1m, would be a little less pissed at £2m+. Still don't want to lose him though. Perhaps another PR excercise is coming up of the club announcing a player will be leaving (Bennett), followed immediately with a new player signing (Buckley)

Exactly this.

Bennett has only been allowed to go because we've signed a replacement...

mike79

Sep 28, 2005
Bournemouth
if true we could we could well be offering cody mcdonald as it seems something is lined up after he wasn't allowed to go back to gills

chris martin has been rumoured to be on his way too...

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I bet the fee is not made official, but I reckon it would be in the range of £1.5 - £1.75m. And Bennett leaving was always on the cards, as I'm sure the club wouldn't stand in the way of a player who has earned a move into the big time.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Not looking good, but can't blame him if he goes. Whats annoying is the fact that article reads as though the fee may only rise to £1m after certain clauses/appearances etc are triggered. Wolves have a sell on, which i would presume is something around 20% (it wouldn't be worthwhile anything less than that for them), so the profit doesn't actually look that huge IMO for what he's done the last couple of seasons.

As others have said, throw in a couple of players from Norwich and a deal could be done.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Not looking good, but can't blame him if he goes. Whats annoying is the fact that article reads as though the fee may only rise to £1m after certain clauses/appearances etc are triggered. Wolves have a sell on, which i would presume is something around 20% (it wouldn't be worthwhile anything less than that for them), so the profit doesn't actually look that huge IMO for what he's done the last couple of seasons.

As others have said, throw in a couple of players from Norwich and a deal could be done.

the artikle is maid up based on what I writted.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
I bet the fee is not made official, but I reckon it would be in the range of £1.5 - £1.75m. And Bennett leaving was always on the cards, as I'm sure the club wouldn't stand in the way of a player who has earned a move into the big time.

These are my feelings on the matter. I thought at the time he had been asked to stay to take us over the line for promotion, and go in the summer. A bit like Hoskins at Bristol.

Gus does not want any unhappy people in the changing room, and this would help to maintain harmony.

I am not too sure of us doing any part-exchange deals for their players, unless they meet Gus's strict selection criteria.

frostie_BHAFC

May 18, 2011
no way is he going to palace! That’s just dam right wrong! He isn’t as thick as Murray and wouldn’t do that to the Albion fans surely

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
chris martin has been rumoured to be on his way too...

the boy can sing alright, not sure bout his left peg though...... maybe its because he's a Muzza lookalike, the JCL's wont even realise.

Chris-Martin-of-Coldplay-007.jpg

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Looks to me like a re-hashed Mendoza blog based on nothing more than many peoples' assumptions that it seems inevitable that Buckley is the new Bennett. Take it with a pinch of salt rather than as some authorative statement which I am pretty sure it is not. Remember Mendoza likes to think he is a journalist and sometimes he gets carried away with the story and just a tad confused between fact and fiction.

Assuming that Bennett does go (likely but not, I think, a done deal) Buckley will play inside in the role Gus preferred for Bennett. It is (statedly) Buckley's prefered position allowing him to mainly play in support of the striker and occassionally drift wide. He will be massively more influential and consistent in that role than he was playing wide for Watford where he drifted out of the game (as wingers - and especially young wingers - do). With LuaLua and Noone alternating as the starting winger we will be very fluent, very mobile, and very aggressive indeed.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Buckley will play inside in the role Gus preferred for Bennett. It is (statedly) Buckley's prefered position allowing him to mainly play in support of the striker and occassionally drift wide. He will be massively more influential and consistent in that role than he was playing wide for Watford where he drifted out of the game (as wingers - and especially young wingers - do). With LuaLua and Noone alternating as the starting winger we will be very fluent, very mobile, and very aggressive indeed.

aaaaahhhh,..............I need to go and change my pants

Coleby1007

Feb 28, 2011
Lancing
Looks to me like a re-hashed Mendoza blog based on nothing more than many peoples' assumptions that it seems inevitable that Buckley is the new Bennett. Take it with a pinch of salt rather than as some authorative statement which I am pretty sure it is not. Remember Mendoza likes to think he is a journalist and sometimes he gets carried away with the story and just a tad confused between fact and fiction.

Assuming that Bennett does go (likely but not, I think, a done deal) Buckley will play inside in the role Gus preferred for Bennett. It is (statedly) Buckley's prefered position allowing him to mainly play in support of the striker and occassionally drift wide. He will be massively more influential and consistent in that role than he was playing wide for Watford where he drifted out of the game (as wingers - and especially young wingers - do). With LuaLua and Noone alternating as the starting winger we will be very fluent, very mobile, and very aggressive indeed.

Agreed, although i feel with all the creativity the we could have, KLL Buckley Noone, Bennet if he stays and even Hoskins to a certain extent i feel we need an out and out striker. One who is happy with his back to goal, good footballer and knows where the goals is. Even as i write this i cant help think im just describing Super Glen :(

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
This will hurt if it turns out to be true, not in the way that the Murray move hurt but I will be absolutely gutted if Bennett leaves (for a measly £1m). Fair play to the lad, he has been outstanding for us and he is at least making a step up to further his career. However I'm finding it hard to take that club is in the best position it has been for a long time, yet we are looking like we are going to start this season without the guy who scored most goals and the guy who set up the most. Whilst I am excited by Hoskins and potentially Buckley it would of been nice to hold on to Murray or Bennett! I don't really see that we have strengthened the team yet, just balanced out the huge blows we have suffered, I appreciate it's early days and the start of the season is a while away but I would like to see us performing a bit more positively in the transfer market.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005

You may well be right as I thought it odd that the last line was about Bridcutt and Dicker who I thought signed their deals a while ago? But maybe it was just doing a general summary of the goings on to date, rather than reporting it as if it was recent news

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003

Mendoza comes out with fact/fiction confusion...?

You say "With Lua Lua and Noone" and also mention Buckley as if a done deal... is this Fact or Fiction? :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here