Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Ben White - Sings new FOUR year deal.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Given that every player under the sun now bangs on about having a short career and having to do what’s best for that career. I can’t see any professional footballer using their girlfriend as a reason to shape the direction of their career. I mean sure it might be a something nice for him if he did move to Leeds but it won’t be a deciding factor.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Indeed, in this interview from just a couple of days ago, he basically avoids the question about his future altogether (despite what the headline says!):
https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/leeds-united/marcelo-bielsa-contract-leeds-live-18635767
Doesn't he have a history of walking out on clubs at unexpected moments? :flounce:

Ive just voted on that forum piece.....i put White as player of the season, leeds need to spend 50million plus and will still finish in the bottom half..........:lolol:....every little helps.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
There's an assumption (or maybe not as I definitely can't be arsed to read the whole thread) that White would rather be at Leeds because he's guaranteed a starting place.

Well maybe, up to a point. I imagine it would be reassuring to start life in the Premier League knowing that you have already proved yourself with manager and fans. But nobody is ever guaranteed a starting place. And nobody, including White himself, can be sure how well he will cope, at least initially, with the step up. And nobody know what business Leeds will be doing, and whether or not White will have competition. Possibly from someone who already has experience in the premier league. Maybe someone a bit more physically robust.

So...if he's a clever lad, or is being well advised, he may look at it another way. So far his career development has been managed perfectly, thanks to Brighton. One step at a time, never too fast, building experience and confidence in parallel. Perhaps the next step also needs to be managed in a similar way. Instead of all the pressure and expectation he would face at Leeds, what about taking the chance to be eased into premier league life more carefully. To have the pressure taken off by not being an assumed automatic starter and to be given time and space to get to know the team and the league, with time off the bench alongside one of the (genuinely) best CBs in England and the support of an experienced squad around him. Also a manager that does at least have ONE year of experience in this league.

And he can look at Brighton this season and be sure (Lamprey, Connolly, Lazate) that he will get a chance, and if he's good enough he will be played. He's still young, and has the potential to go to the top - there's no rush...no need to risk the fall from grace at Leeds that would potentially haunt him and stop him reaching that potential.

But of course we all know that what matters most is how many mates he has at each club.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Ben White

I’m convinced that Potter will be seriously thinking about a 3 at the back formation next season with White enabling a row of quality CBs capable of carrying the ball and being able to use the flexibility of White to sit in as a CDM when needed. Lampteys pace is perfect for it we just need a better option for LWB.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]1285867419475628032[/tweet]

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I’m convinced that Potter will be seriously thinking about a 3 at the back formation next season with White enabling a row of quality CBs capable of carrying the ball and being able to use the flexibility of White to sit in as a CDM when needed. Lampteys pace is perfect for it we just need a better option for LWB.

Yes, inevitable, I think.

Duffy shipped out (sadly).

And Clarke back as CB cover - or maybe Burn as CB/LB cover.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
I think if GP wants him here he will be here. TB has shown in the past he will play hardball and if required he will do this time to back his manager.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
There's an assumption (or maybe not as I definitely can't be arsed to read the whole thread) that White would rather be at Leeds because he's guaranteed a starting place.

Well maybe, up to a point. I imagine it would be reassuring to start life in the Premier League knowing that you have already proved yourself with manager and fans. But nobody is ever guaranteed a starting place. And nobody, including White himself, can be sure how well he will cope, at least initially, with the step up. And nobody know what business Leeds will be doing, and whether or not White will have competition. Possibly from someone who already has experience in the premier league. Maybe someone a bit more physically robust.

So...if he's a clever lad, or is being well advised, he may look at it another way. So far his career development has been managed perfectly, thanks to Brighton. One step at a time, never too fast, building experience and confidence in parallel. Perhaps the next step also needs to be managed in a similar way. Instead of all the pressure and expectation he would face at Leeds, what about taking the chance to be eased into premier league life more carefully. To have the pressure taken off by not being an assumed automatic starter and to be given time and space to get to know the team and the league, with time off the bench alongside one of the (genuinely) best CBs in England and the support of an experienced squad around him. Also a manager that does at least have ONE year of experience in this league.

And he can look at Brighton this season and be sure (Lamprey, Connolly, Lazate) that he will get a chance, and if he's good enough he will be played. He's still young, and has the potential to go to the top - there's no rush...no need to risk the fall from grace at Leeds that would potentially haunt him and stop him reaching that potential.

But of course we all know that what matters most is how many mates he has at each club.

Completely agree with all of this. He will need to be gradually brought into the first team, and rested when the time is right, just like Lamptey. He will see evidence of how Potter has managed others and should take confidence that he will be given the chance when it's right for him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here