Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Ben White - Sings new FOUR year deal.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Schelotto will be off the wage bill and almost certainly so will Kayal. That is before we even consider Duffy moving on.

That should give us a bit of leeway to offer White a good deal without increasing the overall outlay.

Knocky has also gone for 10m

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Tony Bloom: "Welcome back Ben, looking forward to having you back with us in the first team this season.'

Ben White: "Thanks Tone, but I'm actually going to Leeds."

TB: "You have two years on your contract, they haven't put in a bid, and even if they had it's extremely unlikely they would meet our valuation."

BW: "Yeah but my girlfriend's northern."

TB: "You make a good point, good luck at Leeds."

This conversation actually happened.

holybanjo

Mar 2, 2020
Hastings
Does anyone remember what Venables' England side did with Ince? They played four at the back and Ince could drop in as a Centre back to create a three which allowed wing backs to bomb on - Neville had real attacking licence to get forward. It also meant Ince could slip into DM to snuff out danger or build through the centre creating an extra man when needed. This was when he played in Italy, at the peak of his powers - he was one hell of a midfielder. It was ince that won a penalty vs Holland on that memorable 4-1 win. Could White offer that?

Absolutely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
As a Leeds fan who has seen White play every game this season it would be really hard to value him at this point in time.

He has been outstanding, a ball carrying defender with pace and the ability to pass short or long with accuracy. He has handled all the Championship forwards with ease. Bielsa may think he has a future as a DM, and who am I to argue with the great man, but most of us like the security he gives us at the back and, like a poster on this thread wrote, playing there is a different ball game and i'm not sure it suits him. Could of course all change with an extended run in that position.

But, Leeds play a very aggressive attacking game and limit the chances the opposition have. The whole team defends so the defence doesn't have to. It has been clear that set pieces are our weakness and that we simply cannot score from them or defend them well. What did we do to counteract that? Stop giving away corners in particular. You would have to question, as a key component of that defence, White's aerial ability. He has decent height but a slender build. You also have the issue of his lack of PL experience. Potential is one thing but plenty have failed to step up.

He plays in a well drilled unit at Leeds, and suits a team to a tee that wants to attack. Bielsa has always shown he is prepared to gamble in any situation that could lead to an opposition opportunity or one for us. As such, risky one touch passing in defence and quick counter attacking are part of his game plan. His valuation needs to bare that in mind. A team that doesn't play that way may not suit White and he may not suit them i.e. a team looking to defend or play a defensive game.

Ake looks like he is off for 35million and Mings went for 25million. Villa were a bit deseperate and he was a key player for them as they spawned their way up. Would have thought White's valuation would be 25million too (covid affected) with the potential for 10million add on's.

I think Leeds will throw the boat at this signing, so are there for the taking. Last summer, the re-signing of Phillips to a new contract was the key for Bielsa to stay and I'd have thought the signing of White would be equally as important to him this summer. You have us over a barrel.

But as I’m sure you’re aware, you won’t play this attacking football in the Prem or you’ll pretty much get relegated. Every team that comes up plays great attacking football - Norwich fans were very full of it, and look what happened to them. We were very attacking when we went up but had to change. It’ll be interesting to see how White does in the prem but it’s a big step up. Personally I’d loan him to Sheffield Weds next season just for a laugh.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I occasionally tune in to a
Leeds game to see him defending but Leedsspend a lot of the time attacking I have no real idea about him.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Ben White is going as his girlfriend is northern so a work friend has just told me and he saw it on their forum. He is a Leeds fan and lives close. He believes he may not be good enough defensively.

Didn’t Elliot Bennett shack up with a girl working in our club shop? Did that stop him moving to Norwich?

Them Leeds fans are jokers

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
I live up the road from Marcelo Bielsa. He currently lives in a one bedroom flat above a shop. Looks very temporary. If I were a Leeds fan I would be more concerned with that.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
You have us over a barrel.

We have you over a barrel...but you're not our type.

You could be strung up and covered in nutella, if we aren't into you it isn't going to make any difference.

All you are doing is hindering access to what might otherwise be a useful barrel.

Robdinho

Jul 26, 2004
I live up the road from Marcelo Bielsa. He currently lives in a one bedroom flat above a shop. Looks very temporary. If I were a Leeds fan I would be more concerned with that.
Indeed, in this interview from just a couple of days ago, he basically avoids the question about his future altogether (despite what the headline says!):
https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/leeds-united/marcelo-bielsa-contract-leeds-live-18635767
Doesn't he have a history of walking out on clubs at unexpected moments? :flounce:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Is Barber's PA fit? If so, can we get her in touch with Ben pls?

I think she is probably old enough to be Bens mum, unless he has a new one since a couple of years ago

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
There is something quite amusing about someone willing to be a WAG - but then putting her foot down about their partner moving around the country. Part of the job, surely?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
There is something quite amusing about someone willing to be a WAG - but then putting her foot down about their partner moving around the country. Part of the job, surely?

I’m sure Glenn Murray can give him some advice on that front.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks

I don't care if you can earn another 30k a week 200 miles away, you're playing for Leeds. And tell that Bielsa you can't do away games. And don't forget that barbecue at my Uncles in two weeks so you'll need to let them know you can't do Burnley at home either.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
I don't care if you can earn another 3k per year with another company, you're working for that retailer and I like the employee discount. And tell that them that you can't do company trips or parties. And don't forget that barbecue at my Uncles in two weeks so you'll need to let them know you can't do that award ceremony either.

I've amended this Tim, to reflect my life.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here