Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Ben White - Sings new FOUR year deal.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Possibly so but what has anything that I said got to do with Liam Cooper?

I was replying to the poster who said that Lewis Dunk was one of the top centre backs in England by pointing out that the Premier Leagues own stats would perhaps tend to suggest otherwise

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.

Numbers don't mean anything if you're not watching a player visually. Not every tangible is captured in a statistic.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Would that be the same Lewis Dunk who only figures twice in the Premier League top 20 players, in the various defending categories for last season then?

1. Fifth place for "Blocks" - behind 3 other Englishmen (I bet he f****** hates that Tarkowski fella)
2. Joint ninth for "Last Man Tackles" - at least in this one he managed to keep up with Shane Duffy but sadly couldn't quite match Steve Cook!

I see also Virgil Van Dijk doesn't even make the top 20 for blocks, tackles or clearances off the line, and only scrapes into the top ten for clearances.

What a DONKEY.

OvingdeanSeagull

Jul 8, 2012
Ovingdean

I was replying to the poster who said that Lewis Dunk was one of the top centre backs in England by pointing out that the Premier Leagues own stats would perhaps tend to suggest otherwise

Lewis Dunk is easily up there with the best defenders in the league, a vast majority of Premier league fans and pundits who have actually watched Premier League football recently agree on this. I understand if you haven't kept up though, it's been quite some time since you minnows touched the dizzy heights of the Premier League. Enjoy it while it lasts, because a year is all you're getting up here. Straight back to obscurity where you belong.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

As would the ones around Virgil Van Dijk.

Seriously. Even your own fans were slating Cooper two seasons ago. Granted, he's been better this year, largely thanks to having somebody alongside him who can cover for his mistakes, but deep down, you know and we know he's absolute village.

ttgg

Aug 6, 2020
I see also Virgil Van Dijk doesn't even make the top 20 for blocks, tackles or clearances off the line, and only scrapes into the top ten for clearances.

What a DONKEY.

I may be barking up the wrong tree here but didn’t Brighton have to do a hell of a lot more defending than Liverpool last year?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I may be barking up the wrong tree here but didn’t Brighton have to do a hell of a lot more defending than Liverpool last year?

Of course. But the reason VVD doesn't make many tackles is because his reading of the game is so good, he doesn't have to. You can look at Steve Cook (oooh look: another Albion youth team centre half graduate of some pedigree!) and Tarkowski and say they're brilliant because they make so many tackles. Or you can ask why they have to? It's why Aaron Wan Bissaka is being found out now. He makes so many tackles a game as he isn't in the right position to win the ball in the first place.

Being good is a combination of lots of skills. Unfortunately for you, Liam Cooper is a jack of no trades, master of none.

ttgg

Aug 6, 2020
Of course. But the reason VVD doesn't make many tackles is because his reading of the game is so good, he doesn't have to. You can look at Steve Cook (oooh look: another Albion youth team centre half graduate of some pedigree!) and Tarkowski and say they're brilliant because they make so many tackles. Or you can ask why they have to? It's why Aaron Wan Bissaka is being found out now. He makes so many tackles a game as he isn't in the right position to win the ball in the first place.

Being good is a combination of lots of skills. Unfortunately for you, Liam Cooper is a jack of no trades, master of none.

Yeah I guess there’s bound to be an element of that in there.

In all fairness I was surprised Dunk was only 5th in the blocking category as whenever I’ve watched him (which is quite a lot) he always seems to be flinging himself in front of shots etc.

As for Cook, I guess he’s one that got away from your point of view. As I recall it was deemed as a bit of a downward step from his point of view when he went to Bournemouth? Who knew back then that they would reach such dizzying heights!

On Cooper, not sure how much you have seen of him this year? Lots of our fans were waiting all season for some of his heart in mouth moments but none ever arrived and he looks a vastly better player 12 months on. He was certainly up there with White defensively and if anything White made a few more errors than him. I guess for both of them it will come down to whether or not they can maintain their previous levels (or at least something close to it) when faced with having to do a lot more defending than they’ve been used to in the last 12 months!

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields

In all fairness I was surprised Dunk was only 5th in the blocking category as whenever I’ve watched him (which is quite a lot) he always seems to be flinging himself in front of shots etc.

As for Cook, I guess he’s one that got away from your point of view. As I recall it was deemed as a bit of a downward step from his point of view when he went to Bournemouth? Who knew back then that they would reach such dizzying heights!

On Cooper, not sure how much you have seen of him this year? Lots of our fans were waiting all season for some of his heart in mouth moments but none ever arrived and he looks a vastly better player 12 months on. He was certainly up there with White defensively and if anything White made a few more errors than him. I guess for both of them it will come down to whether or not they can maintain their previous levels (or at least something close to it) when faced with having to do a lot more defending than they’ve been used to in the last 12 months!

Yawn yawn yawn

He is not coming back.

Get over it

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Has Bielsa actually signed his new contract yet [emoji23][emoji23]

But “Bielsa is a man of his word” we are told, TB is a man of his word - “not for sale” is pretty clear.....

Tick tick tick tock only 3 weeks until the season starts

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire

I’ve seen enough of Cooper to chuckle at how he’s only got two Scotland caps. They’re masters at not qualifying for anything and overlooking pretty decent players. Mctominay rarely starts for Scotland. Back in the day, Alan Hansen. Strange.
I digress, you’re still not having Ben White.

Last edited:

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Ben White

6e6f0853596299041062af2612dba3eb.jpg

See Ben has liked the Dunk Contract Extension post on Insta.

Considering Ben (Apparently) doesn’t have any really friends at Brighton it’s great to see he’s trying his best to fit in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

Cook was sold because he was ready for mens football and had no chance of getting into our side at the time due to the players in front of him, he had been on loan at Bournemouth and they then wanted to buy, he went to Bournemouth for a low fee, but with massive sell on clauses I believe, because we rated him highly, ******** have kept him ever since so we have never had any further benefit. Lesson learned, no cheap sells with promises of more to come based on ifs, one of the reasons your latest offer for Ben White was rejected as well.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Has Bielsa actually signed his new contract yet [emoji23][emoji23]

But “Bielsa is a man of his word” we are told, TB is a man of his word - “not for sale” is pretty clear.....

Tick tick tick tock only 3 weeks until the season starts

I saw a sky journo quoted yesterday, that whilst elite UK based sports people (already with UK based teams), don't need to quarantine. New players (not yet contracted to UK team) do have to, affects us also, if for instance we could bag Darwin Nunez, but for Leeds, even if they can pull off Koch (sorry), in the next week, he doesn't get out of quarantine for 14 days.

Defensively they're f**ked right now.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
[/B][/I]

I saw a sky journo quoted yesterday, that whilst elite UK based sports people (already with UK based teams), don't need to quarantine. New players (not yet contracted to UK team) do have to, affects us also, if for instance we could bag Darwin Nunez, but for Leeds, even if they can pull off Koch (sorry), in the next week, he doesn't get out of quarantine for 14 days.

Defensively they're f**ked right now.

I know, it’s brilliant that a team that found it so easy last season in the championship new now weaker with 3 weeks until the new season but according to some of their internet warriors we are a badly run club

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

What a DONKEY.

We definitely dodged a bullet when he went to Celtic rather than us!:ffsparr:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here