Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Ben White - Sings new FOUR year deal.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
so Dyche is unhappy at Burnley and lives in Doncaster

that’s the second time in two days I’ve read that on here (maybe it was you the other time).

He doesn’t - he lives in Northampton with his family (and in a house near Burnley, with Ian Woan, for work days)

s5.bha

Aug 3, 2003
that’s the second time in two days I’ve read that on here (maybe it was you the other time).

He doesn’t - he lives in Northampton with his family (and in a house near Burnley, with Ian Woan, for work days)

Sorry , my bad !

But maybe he’ll move there just so I don’t feel like a tw*t !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Good analysis of his last game.....loads of GIFs to watch

https://twitter.com/LUFCDATA/status/1277656330678009864?s=20

...and of course this :

ian grundy [MENTION=16860]Grundy[/MENTION]1976Ian
·
6m
Replying to
@LUFCDATA
and
@SherriffAlex
What a player what a talent how Brighton never saw this shows how tinpot they are!

It is hilarious. They think we're tinpot when our fifth choice centre back is one of their players of the season.

And judging by that comment, you'd think clubs had never loaned players out for development before. Judging by where he is now, I think we've done it perfectly

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
On Sky's Sunday Supplement programme this week the journo's were discussing Man City's needs for next season.
They agreed that City's biggest goal would be to recruit a central defender.
We would all expect them to sign an experienced international, but you never know.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I just can’t bring myself to accept it, maybe I’m stuck in an old fashioned mindset where I still like a proper physical kick it and head it centre back.
I proper loves the big man.

I really enjoyed Alan Davies lamenting the fact Arsenal don't have any players who throw themselves at the ball, like Dunk and Webster.

Pah - They aren't even the most committed defender at the club!!

Apparently one of Wenger's main philosophies was players should split into 2 groups:-

Those that love winning
&
Those that hate losing

The former should be the strikers, the latter, the defenders.

Arsene must really appreciate the balance in Albion's squad, although I'm not too sure where Schelotto fits in - but I don't care.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
On Sky's Sunday Supplement programme this week the journo's were discussing Man City's needs for next season.
They agreed that City's biggest goal would be to recruit a central defender.
We would all expect them to sign an experienced international, but you never know.

Signing Dunk would be a no-brainer for them. 4 top years left in him, could even make him captain.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
That was a marvellous day.

Uwe played well in his first game.

Oh and no way will White move to Leeds in the summer.... I think Leeds will struggle and Bielsa might not even start the season, when he realises how much rebuilding is required.

I remember singing ‘we’re top of the league’ on the way out of the ground thinking that it was a novelty, a bit of fun and to enjoy it while it lasts. Turned out it lasted two seasons

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I have a solution that will suit everyone, Ben White comes home to us on an improved contract, we then loan Matt Clarke to Leeds.

We get our promising young player back, and Leeds supporters get another Albion centre back to pretend is theirs.

Jobs a good’un.

Brilliant.

Let’s make Leeds our feeder club

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Also our issue isn't in keeping out the goals its scoring them that's why we're only on -7 with those around us are -14 to -20. I'm sure GP will be looking to make us more mobile which to be fair that's the direction we seem to be heading.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Ben White

Leeds fan here who's followed Brighton since Potter joined. Really like his style of football and what he's trying to do at the club.

Not a chance he leaves if we're promoted. If we stay in the Championship he'll go and we're in real trouble.

White embarrassed the best striker in the league on saturday and he's been by far the best defender in the championship this year. His awareness and reading of the game is superb - you don't need to be a 6'2 shithouse to be a centre half now.

He's played at defensive midfield a couple of times for us and he's not been as effective. Then again, we have the best defensive midfielder in the league. He's a fantastic centre half so I'm amazed you'd want to move him.

Weird considering he's played in a two this entire season and he's been absolutely incredible. I've seen Webster play before and I honestly think Ben White is better. He's genuinely the real deal and will be a England centre half. I can't express how good he is.

I hope you're wrong. Liverpool have followed him all season at ER (their scout is an ex centre half of ours) and whilst I hope he'll sign for us, I'm one of the few fans who think he'd go to Liverpool. We're in hope that he'd want to continue under Bielsa rather than sit on the bench at Liverpool.

I lol'd.

Firstly, thank you for providing a point of view from the Leeds fan base.

However I’m sorry to say, you are extremely deluded and being (unintentionally) disrespectful to our club and our chairman.

1. You guys have been away from the top a while now. The gulf between the Championship and the Premier League is MONSTROUS. At times we looked like Barca under Chris Hughton in the Championship, and Knocky was our Messi.

2. Webster was at the level Ben White is now, and it’s taken him most of this season to adapt.

3. There is a world of difference playing against PL strikers, most of which cost more then anyone at your club, compared to whoever’s up front for Wigan these days

4. You casually suggest the sentiment, “oh yeah Ben White will go to Liverpool, but hopefully stays with us..” as if we don’t exist or have a say?

5. You did not make Ben White. He has been highly rated for a long time before we loaned him to you.

There is no scenario where you keep Ben White. Zilch. Even IF he wanted to go (and why would he given the reasons above), you honestly think Tony Bloom would gift one of our relegation rivals such a player? LOL. And why on earth are you guys even discussing a scenario where we sell to Liverpool and they loan him to you? Why would that be in our interests?

Honestly you guys are as arrogant as the Villa fans giving it large the past year, and that’s saying something.

I know it’s hard to accept, but little old Brighton aren’t little anymore. We have a superb chairman who’s an actual fan, a great infrastructure with Ashworth and co. And now have an exciting young, progressive English manager. We are on course to establish ourselves in the PL. in short: we are a club on the up.

If you need a replacement, maybe we could let you have Matt Clarke on loan next year?

Yorkshireman

Jun 28, 2020
Had a quick skim of the thread and have quoted certain people who replied or said something interesting. Apologies if I've missed anything.

I don’t think you have a snowballs chance in hell of keeping White. I don’t even think he’s going anywhere, Liverpool would take a punt if he had , had a season in the PL, I don’t believe we will sell him, we have not sold a player we didn’t want to sell for a longtime now, and I don’t think we’ll start again with White.

Most Leeds fans I'd say have recognised that we aren't going to have him next year unless Brighton are relegated. He's far better than the championship so wouldn't stick around at that level. Even then it's incredibly unlikely because (unfortunately for us) you're going to be in the PL next year B]and [/B] the likes of Liverpool, City are interested. Andy O'Brien (ex Leeds centre half among other clubs) is a scout for Liverpool and has been at Elland Road numerous times this year.

I suspect Leeds fans who think White will return here next year are hoping rather than being realistic.

Welcome to your opinion, I’m no Ben white expert but considering the competition for places at Brighton there’s no certainty he’d get in our first team next season, especially if Dunk stays and Webster continues to improve.

I’d also venture that White is now where Webster was last season, a very good Championship Centre back, there’s no certainty what happens to him in the Premier League but one thing I’m fairly certain of is that Brighton won’t be selling a talented young player to a rival for survival next season if they thought he would get in our first team.

I go home and away with Leeds so I've only seen Webster when he was at Bristol City and the occasional game when you've been on the TV so it's hard to make a comparison. However, Webster is 25 and hasn't looked entirely convincing this year for Brighton? If I had to make a comparison between both of them in the Championship then I'd absolutely say White is the better player. I'm not sure I can remember a better centre half at this level since we've been in the league.

There is not a cats in hell chance Ben White will go to Leeds. For a start - our chairman has invested heavily in youth and the academy since he took over, he is not going to be selling one of our best products of this new system to a newly promoted Championship side. In fact if you look at our chairmans record in his tenure - I can only think of 1 player he sold that he probably did not want to - and that was Ulloa to Leicester for well over £10M when we were in the Championship.

We don't have to sell him, he has 2 years left on his contract and he will almost certainly be in our match day squad next season. We have no reason to sell him and even if we did - Leeds couldn't afford the price we'd put on him. He is almost certainly a ready made replacement for Duffy to move on and we don't have to fork out any money to replace him.

See above. I personally don't think he'll be here next year.

Thanks for your well thought out and informative post.

No worries!

Thanks for that - good to hear. Agree re Bielsa - can't see he'd walk away from a crack at the PL. Don't think you've got a hope in hell of keeping White though - he'll be coming back to us (and if his development continues at the same pace, probably going to a top 4 club after next season)

Last season after the monumental cock up Bielsa wasn't sure if he wanted to stay. Luckily he has and it's pretty much guaranteed he'll be here next season providing we're playing in the Premier League.

As I've said to other posters, if there's a slight chance of White leaving then I suspect we'll be blown away by the likes of Liverpool, Arsenal or City.

I don’t think you quite appreciate the step up from Championship to Premier League football. White is only at Leeds as part of the plan for him to make that step up. There is a plan for his development and much though you would wish it otherwise, that plan is for him to return to Brighton at the end of this season.

I absolutely do. However, there's some absolute shite in the Premier League. White is very, very good at this level, a technically brilliant modern centre half.

TBF, of late I've seen a lot of Leeds supporters wanting to keep White (fair enough), but very few actually thinking that they will.

Correct.

It is quite funny. Leeds fans constantly show themselves to be amongst the most arrogant in football. I think a lot of them think they are going to walk back into the Premier League next season and be near the top.

Their squad isn't actually that strong in Premier League terms currently. There aren't many players that are proven in the Premier League. They might do really well. And you'd think Bielsa would get the best out of their players but even he hasn't managed in the Premier League.

To keep their squad together, they will need to buy their loan players. That includes White, who is unlikely to be sold to them if we stay up, along with Costa, Harrison and Meslier (who may all sign but will take a portion of their transfer budget). Their lead striker is Patrick Bamford, who has never done well in the Premier League.

In order to match some of their fans' expectations, Leeds are going to have to do really well in the transfer market and get the absolute most out of their existing squad. It's not going to be easy (which is not to say they won't do it).

We're already signing Costa, £15m spread over four years. We can sign Harrison and Meslier for £8m and £5m respectively. That means we've in total committed to £28m for three key players in our side.

Bamford is absolutely useless and I genuinely can't stand him. He isn't good enough at this level (despite what Leeds fans argue) and we're almost relegation fodder if he's leading the line next year. As much as you don't care, Leeds need to sign a keeper (to replace Casilla who's shite and a racist), a centre half or two (dependent on White), a left back, a central midfielder and a striker or two.

I have a solution that will suit everyone, Ben White comes home to us on an improved contract, we then loan Matt Clarke to Leeds.

We get our promising young player back, and Leeds supporters get another Albion centre back to pretend is theirs.

Jobs a good’un.

Is Matt Clarke going to wash Bielsa's car? Think it's a bit of a wasted loan signing :lol:

5th-ranked overall (after Ayling, Philips, Hernandez and Cooper) but not much in the scores.

Ben White is a far better centre half than Cooper. Hard to compare to the others because they play different positions mind. I think Kalvin Philips is our best player and will surprise people when he's in the PL. I'd be shocked if he isn't playing for England soon.

I think a loan to Leeds is pretty likely if Ben wants to play with Leeds in the PL. Graham Potter is very consistent in his philosophy that if you want to be elsewhere, you'll be elsewhere: if he is not 100% committed to Brighton, it will need to be solved in another fashion than forcing him to stay. Luckily I think Potter is able to convince most players that playing for his side is the best choice they can do, but you never no.

The team is stacked with central defenders. Leeds are unable to buy him. MAYBE a top club comes around with a bid of say £25m, but if he made a good season in the PL that price would increase a lot. Another season on loan at Leeds would give him play time and likely increase his value and Brighton would still be pretty content with the CB options. Of course a loan deal would need to include a "not allowed to play vs Brightonr" clause and a decent fee, but I dont see it as impossible. Its uncommon but not unheard of that a mid-tier club (like 20/21 Brighton) loans a player to a newly promoted team.

If the fee is £25m then we're absolutely going to go for him. However, I'd be amazed if Brighton sell for that - I recognise we're in the middle of a pandemic which means it's a buyers market but it's a ridiculously cheap price for a centre half with serious potential.

As much as I would want White back, I can't see Brighton loaning us him. We'll both be sides (more than likely) in the mid-table/bottom half bracket so you're strengthening a competing side. The most likely options in order are 1) he stays at Brighton for a season or two 2) he moves to a top PL side and we loan him or 3) we sign him on a permanent
deal.
I've read that Brighton want to move on Duffy - why couldn't White replace him?

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
It looks like dirty leeds thought it was try before you buy loan.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I’d be surprised if Liverpool wanted to spend 40m+ on a player who is totally unproven in the league, maybe after he’s had a season to see how he goes, even in the ridiculous world of football 40m+ for a CB with only one amazing season in the 2nd tier under his belt seems utterly crazy.

Duffy seems like the type of player who is probably frustrated being on the bench, and he’s been very good for us just doesn’t fit perfectly into our style of play, I would be sad to see him move on but I’d understand it from his perspective and ours, he’s at a stage in his career where he needs to be playing. White, hopefully if he has his head screwed on will realise he needs to prove himself and if he has a good pre season he could find himself alongside Dunk, I don’t know much about him as a person though.

The hype over White is dangerous, the strikers and attackers in this league are a HUGE step up and we need to remember that if he does come back, he will need patience as Webster has had.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here