Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Ben White - Sings new FOUR year deal.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I fear BW is in for a torrid time if we keep him and he takes as much time as Webster did to settle in rather than arrive as the ready made world class player he is being built up to be.

FWIW I think Webster is a quality player who will only get better but feck me has he had some abuse on here as he got up to speed. Of course some will continue to slag him off and look for mistakes rather than admit they might have been a bit hasty. It’s the NSC way :smile:

In short I think BW will have a similar journey if he stays.

Once he signs I think I might prepare a “This White experiment has to end on January 01” thread in readiness for when he costs us a couple of goals :wink:

I think Webster was good from day one, just a bad run of form in January / February, like the rest of the team.

The reason he got a lot of shit in the beginning is because he isnt Shane Duffy and people had a difficult time coping with it.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I respectfully disagree. They deserve credit in identifying BW as a player that would be a useful addition on loan. The idea that they picked up a nobody and Bielsa turned him into a real player is simply false.

Fair enough. I am not saying they don't deserve credit. What I'm saying is they knew what would happen if he did well and that we didn't want to sell

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Fair enough. I am not saying they don't deserve credit. What I'm saying is they knew what would happen if he did well and that we didn't want to sell

I know. I didn't say anything to the contrary! It was about the deification of Bielsa and the ignoring of their role in bringing Ben in on loan.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The thing I don't get is this.

If Bielsa is so good, why hasn't he turned Liam Cooper from a village player into a competent PL quality centre half? Why only White?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

If Bielsa is so good, why hasn't he turned Liam Cooper from a village player into a competent PL quality centre half? Why only White?

Or indeed - if Ben White is now a 8/10 player. Why can’t they find a player in their U23s and do the same thing ?

Or is it because Ben White was already a good player ‘coming of age’ during his loan at Leeds and they don’t have anyone that good?

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I think Webster was good from day one, just a bad run of form in January / February, like the rest of the team.

The reason he got a lot of shit in the beginning is because he isnt Shane Duffy and people had a difficult time coping with it.

He wasnt great at the start. Obviously the lad can play, and really pleased to see him coming good, his skill level and ability hasnt necessarily changed, he has just cut out the silly mistakes he was making earlier. When you're up against the front line of QPR or Blackburn you'll get away with more, in the PL you get punished. Certainly looking now, every bit a 20 million pound player. Next season hopefully he'll kick on again.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Yep - total contrast with Derby fans talking about Clarke, Millwall re Molumby etc.

As well Ben not going to Leeds, they've wasted half the transfer window, bumped his price up enormously and probably ruled out the chances of us ever loaning them a player again. Well played you clueless goons [emoji38][emoji38]

They've probably ruled out most clubs loaning them players with the way they're conducting themselves over White. Mind you, it is the World's Biggest Club Leeds we're talking about who will never need another loan player now they're in the Premier League after their 16 year hiatus.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
They won't need any loans from us in future. Leeds are going to sign a local village team and Bielsa will turn them into Champions League winners (assuming he signs his contract of course)
I had forgotten about Lord God Almighty Bielsa's ability to turn donkeys into superstars.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007

It's almost as if he was already good? I've no doubt Bielsa is a high quality coach but he himself knows you need the tools to do the job you want doing. Hence Pontus Jansson being moved on. BW is a Bielsa type of player, the same way Adam Webster is a Potter type and Shane Duffy isn't. This is why they want White quite so badly, Bielsa himself knows he can't polish a turd and a ready made PL quality centre back who is comfortable enough to move into MF and can play the Bielsa way would not be cheap.

Last edited:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I mentioned this bloke Phil Hay on the Athletic renewal thread. Seems to make stuff up and make basic errors in his articles on a regular basis. No better than those they have at the tabloids. The article you have linked makes the point nicely as Ben’s actual contract length seems to have passed him by.
Hay really hacked me off when he stated that White didn't know any of the Brighton players.

Deliberate sowing of misinformation.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
If Bielsa can't get White I wonder what influence that will have on his willingness to commit himself to the European champions???

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
If Bielsa can't get White I wonder what influence that will have on his willingness to commit himself to the European champions???

The bloke sounds like a really decent person, but does he have a "Poyet" style mood when it comes to getting stuff? Time will tell.

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
Another wonderfully insightful piece from the Leeds journo....no wonder the fans cling to false hope......

https://motleedsnews.com/news/phil-...es-max-price-he-thinks-leeds-united-will-pay/

Particularly this bit................. 'There are a lot of moving parts to the White deal at the moment. Brighton want him to sign a new contract that would see him stay at the Amex at least for the next season'

Hey Phil - if he doesn't sign a new contract, he'll still be on his existing one :shrug:

Quite, people seem to think if he won’t sign new deal then that’s it, he’s off to Leeds...however as we know that’s bollocks as he simply stays put on Lower wage...

Sensible approach would be sign new Improved contract, earn more cash and have written into contract if big 6 club comes in and offers....xxx then fair enough he can go.

albionite

May 20, 2009
Quite, people seem to think if he won’t sign new deal then that’s it, he’s off to Leeds...however as we know that’s bollocks as he simply stays put on Lower wage...

Sensible approach would be sign new Improved contract, earn more cash and have written into contract if big 6 club comes in and offers....xxx then fair enough he can go.

That might encourage Leeds fans to think that they are more likely to get him, already deluded they are part of the big 6.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Triggered by the fact that hard-right types all voted Brexit?

Yes, so triggered that right wing people voted for (and won) something that left wing people hated.

So shocking.

:lolol:

wodge

Nov 15, 2009
Another wonderfully insightful piece from the Leeds journo....no wonder the fans cling to false hope......

https://motleedsnews.com/news/phil-...es-max-price-he-thinks-leeds-united-will-pay/

Particularly this bit................. 'There are a lot of moving parts to the White deal at the moment. Brighton want him to sign a new contract that would see him stay at the Amex at least for the next season'

Hey Phil - if he doesn't sign a new contract, he'll still be on his existing one :shrug:

Could he mean that we want Ben to sign a new 1 year extension deal with us that keeps him here all next season i.e. not be sold in the January window, so he ends next season with 2 years still to run on his contract and a years Premier League experience so his value is higher?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here