Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Ben White - Sings new FOUR year deal.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I fear BW is in for a torrid time if we keep him and he takes as much time as Webster did to settle in rather than arrive as the ready made world class player he is being built up to be.

FWIW I think Webster is a quality player who will only get better but feck me has he had some abuse on here as he got up to speed. Of course some will continue to slag him off and look for mistakes rather than admit they might have been a bit hasty. It’s the NSC way :smile:

In short I think BW will have a similar journey if he stays.

Once he signs I think I might prepare a “This White experiment has to end on January 01” thread in readiness for when he costs us a couple of goals :wink:

It’s a small minority of very vocal people. Every club has them, especially leeds. If he went there they wouldn’t be fawning over him when losing 6-0 at home to Liverpool or Man City. All this adulation is easy when you are playing Luton. Ben will be integrated into a PL standard defence at Brighton which is exactly what he needs for his continued development.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
It's a technical article which can't be summarised without quoting in full.

It concludes :

"As we’ve said, it’s difficult to know how a player would fit into a new side, and more so with central defenders than any other position. The simplest option for White would be a return to Elland Road — he knows the system, the other players, and he’s clearly a huge asset to the team.
But with Brighton keen to hold on to their most promising player, and clubs with more financial clout keeping a close eye on proceedings, it’s entirely possible that White will find himself in a new defensive set-up next season.
What’s clear, though, is he has the skills to succeed almost anywhere."

It also says it's harder to see how White slots in to the Brighton defence and the simplest move would be a return to Leeds.

This seems to be based on the "fact' that our CBs aren't involved in the build up. Isn't Dunk top of our passing?

edit. In fact, Dunk is 10th in the whole league for passes. That's all players, not just defenders.

Last edited:

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Looking forward to seeing Ben White play in the Blue & (very thin) white stripes this season and watching him develop as we all hope he will. Another exciting sub-plot in what is becoming a very enjoyable journey as an Albion fan.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
And he kissed the badge!

One of my all time favourite Albion moments and day's and yet I was in a car listening to the commentary rather than at the game watching it! The emotion and elation I felt when I heard that go in was something else!

I took my whole family on the Amex tour that morning for my Dad's 60th birthday present and this was also my son's first visit to the stadium and got a photo with him holding Bobby's shirt that was hanging up in the changing room. Bought the kids kit with Zamora 25 on the back for my son from the club shop, then went to Donatello's for lunch and then listened to the commentary driving home when that goal went in. I get emotional whenever I think about that day!

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
It also says it's harder to see how White slots in to the Brighton defence and the simplest move would be a return to Leeds.

This seems to be based on the "fact' that our CBs aren't involved in the build up. Isn't Dunk top of our passing?

edit. In fact, Dunk is 10th in the whole league for passes. That's all players, not just defenders.

That to me is just common sense. The simplest scenario (in terms of seeing where he'd slot in) IS to stay at Leeds - he played every minute last season. There are more variables for him slotting in at Brighton - that's just completely logical. Note that he says "harder" rather than "hard to see".

It doesn't mean he can't or won't fit into our system, it just means it's easier to see it happening at Leeds because it's a continuation of where he left off (very successfully) last season - with the caveat of incoming players (if they manage to sign any :lolol:) changing things slightly.

I'd be looking forward to seeing Ben White in the stripes even without all this hoo-ha, but now I really can't wait :)

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I think it's finally dawned on them that the hype they have whipped up has made it even less likely we would consider selling to them, which was already close enough to zero.

It's around about here they should start turning on the player.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I think it's finally dawned on them that the hype they have whipped up has made it even less likely we would consider selling to them, which was already close enough to zero.

It's around about here they should start turning on the player.
Exactly.

The hysteria has meant that Tony Bloom will now look very weak if he caves in to Leeds.

It is a very bad negotiating strategy to make a billionaire look weak.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Whoever it was a few hundred posts go about the correct way to behave towards a loan player who then (pretty much single handedly judging from the “ecky thump” outpouring of bile towards us as his parent club...with absolutely NO sell clause....says all I ever need to know about the classless dullards we’re dealing with. I’ve not read a “thank you from the bottom of our hearts for the season defining loan” or “you’ve got a hell of a player there” comment. All we got is that we’re criminally negligent for not selling him at bargain basement prices, he never wanted to sign for little old Brighton, he had nothing from us in development terms, we didn’t know who he was and that...in fact...Bielsa “discovered him”.

It’s tedious and disrespectful. I blame them for pretty much guaranteeing he will now be off to Liverpool a year ahead of schedule and I very much doubt he now plans to honour the long term plan we had for him.

At least we can console ourselves that wherever he DOES go it will not be Leeds United.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Whoever it was a few hundred posts go about the correct way to behave towards a loan player who then (pretty much single handedly judging from the “ecky thump” outpouring of bile towards us as his parent club...with absolutely NO sell clause....says all I ever need to know about the classless dullards we’re dealing with. I’ve not read a “thank you from the bottom of our hearts for the season defining loan” or “you’ve got a hell of a player there” comment. All we got is that we’re criminally negligent for not selling him at bargain basement prices, he never wanted to sign for little old Brighton, he had nothing from us in development terms, we didn’t know who he was and that...in fact...Bielsa “discovered him”.

It’s tedious and disrespectful. I blame them for pretty much guaranteeing he will now be off to Liverpool a year ahead of schedule and I very much doubt he now plans to honour the long term plan we had for him.

At least we can console ourselves that wherever he DOES go it will not be Leeds United.

Yep - total contrast with Derby fans talking about Clarke, Millwall re Molumby etc.

As well Ben not going to Leeds, they've wasted half the transfer window, bumped his price up enormously and probably ruled out the chances of us ever loaning them a player again. Well played you clueless goons :lol::lol:

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Ben White

Agree with all you say, but why this:

I blame them for pretty much guaranteeing he will now be off to Liverpool a year ahead of schedule and I very much doubt he now plans to honour the long term plan we had for him.

?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here